The port city of Mindelo in the volcanic archipelago of Cape Verde, retains many features of its colonial past, and is known for its music, carnival atmosphere and blend of Portuguese traditions and Brazilian style.
Situated in Porto Grande Bay, Mindelo is surrounded by low mountains and boasts some of the best sea views and scenery in the region. The coastline is awash with natural points of interest, while the man-made Fortim d'El Rei – an abandoned fort that sits on top of a hill above Mindelo port – is well worth a visit.[ReadMoreMob]
The Municipal Market, with its vast fish market, is fascinating, as are the well-preserved Governor’s Palace and City Hall – both attractive examples of Portuguese-style architecture. The Torre de Belém is a scaled-down replica of the ancient tower in Lisbon. The fine, wide esplanades around the harbour offer a host of interesting little cafés and tiny shops.
Morna is Cape Verde’s national music and Mindelo is its spiritual home. This music and dance style, reminiscent of blues, revolves around cavaquinho, clarinet, violin, piano and guitar, and the poignant lyrics are usually in Cape Verdean Creole.
Almost all of Cape Verde's sugarcane is used in the production of this distinctive local spirit, a fundamentally artisanal creation. The term derives from the English word ‘grog’, which originally referred to a drink made from rum and water.
Grouge is a Cape Verdean alcoholic beverage, an aguardiente made from sugar cane. It’s production is fundamentally artisanal, and nearly all the islands' sugarcane is used in the production. Grouge is produced on San Anto Island, but Mindelo is the main market for San Anto products. It is also the basis of a Cape Verde cocktail known as ‘ponche’, which includes lime and molasses.
Cruises to Mindelo
Latin America with the Chilean Fjords • T2201
- Discover iconic destinations & unforgettable highlights
- Dance the tango in Buenos Aires and much more.
- Scenic cruising by Cape Horn
Atlantic Islands & Brazilian Icons • T2202
- Seek out some of Brazil’s most iconic attractions
- Revel in unrivalled views from Sugarloaf Mountain
- Uncover gorgeous natural treasures at Ilhabela
South America with the Chilean Fjords • T220203
- Visit one of the world’s most intoxication regions
- Discover iconic sights and sounds of Rio de Janeiro
- Experience scenic cruising of astonishing Chilean Fjords
Islands of Cape Verde, Madeira & the Canaries • L2202
- Experience the spectacular beauty of glorious islands
- Enjoy an authentic taste of Cape Verde
- Discover volcanic landscapes and natural wonders
Civilisations of Cape Verde & Morocco • S2303
- Explore the imperial cities of Marrakech & Rabat
- Trek through the Atlas Mountains
- Discover music & dance styles in Cape Verde