If you want mystery, history and something a little bit different, Algeria should feature on your must-visit list. Nestling between Morocco and Tunisia, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, this beguiling country awash with a colourful blend of cultures.
Its whitewashed capital, Algiers, stretches out along the edge of the Mediterranean. It is a bustling city with a web of narrow streets and a hectic Kasbah for you to explore. Close by are the ancient Roman ruins of Tipaza for those who enjoy a bit of history.
Being a coastal area, Algeria offers fantastic seafood, but much of the cuisine is influenced by a mixture of Berber, Arab, Turkish and French flavours to create a vast array of delicious dishes with a plethora of couscous, chickpea-cakes and tajine of lamb or chicken.
Algeria's most striking and well-known feature is the Sahara. Covering four-fifths of its area, the Sahara is a beautiful yet brutal landscape ripe for exploration by adventurous travellers. But there is more to this country than desert. Algeria's summer temperatures can be high, but the coastal area is cooled by sea breezes making it the perfect Mediterranean cruise holiday getaway.
Cruises to Algeria
Discovering the Ancient Mediterranean • L2325Save to favourites
- Learn of the history of ancient trading routes
- You’ll see the influences of past ruling powers
- Take in an abundance of historic sites
Discovering the Ancient Empires of the Eastern Mediterranean • T2404Save to favourites
- Delve into the influences of ancient empires
- Explore some of the world’s great ancient sites
- Visit Athens’ Acropolis and Malta's Grand Harbour
Discovering Spain and North Africa • L2501Save to favourites
- Delve into thousands of years of history in Cartagena
- See impressive mosques and explore bustling souks in Tangier
- See caves used in World War II as Balmoral cruises past Gibraltar