As the cradle of western civilisation, the Mediterranean boasts a cultural legacy that is hard to match. The world's largest inland sea is home to ancient ruins, legendary cities, fantastic food, awe-inspiring art, and sun-kissed beaches. In short, the Mediterranean is a visual and sensual feast. [ReadMoreMob]
A cruise through this extraordinary region provides the opportunity to experience the variety the area has to offer: from the cosmopolitan cities of the Western Mediterranean to Italy, Sardinia, Greece, and Egypt in the east. Immersion into the culture and history of Naples and Herculaneum Granada's world-famous Alhambra Palace, Athens' Acropolis, the Napoleonic city of Ajaccio or a journey of discovery from Alexandria to the see the Pyramids of Giza – all are classic adventures that live long in the memory. The Mediterranean’s past is on full view: France’s prehistoric cave paintings; Roman monuments of power and ambition; Gothic cathedrals, Renaissance palaces and Baroque facades abound.
From the vast sands of Portugal to sheltered coves along Croatia's rugged Dalmatian coast and idyllic Sardinian hideaways, the beaches of the Mediterranean are truly amazing. A cruise along its shores will reveal an often inaccessible collection of the Med’s fine scenery: picturesque bays, Riviera chic, old fishing villages and pine-clad cliffs.
Food and drink is the region’s obsession. Whether nibbling on a chunk of freshly baked French bread with cheese and olives, or sipping a glass of Chianti, the Med is a haven for dedicated foodies. Culinary specialities are a constant draw: Spanish tapas, Portuguese pastries, Turkish kebabs – plus the world’s most famous wine vintages. A Mediterranean cruise offers all this in a region where exploration and discovery never come to an end.
Born on the island of Corsica, Napoléon Bonaparte was a French military leader and emperor who conquered much of Europe in the early 19th century. From the names of streets, to the monuments and the National Bonaparte Museum, everything in Ajaccio evokes the memory of Napoléon Bonaparte. Perhaps the most impressive monument is the one in the Jardins de Casone. Napoleon’s political and cultural legacy has ensured his status as one of the most celebrated and controversial leaders in human history.
To the west of Ajaccio, in the interior of Corsica, is the Prunelli River valley and its series of dramatic gorges featuring the dramatic flora and fauna of the island.
Corsican honey, brocciu cheese and charcuterie are all must-tries. Other culinary delights of the island include wild boar casserole and chestnut flour doughnuts.
Cruises to Mediterranean
Balearic Island Discovery • S2113Save to favourites
- Experience the Balearics at their very best
- An authentic taste of Mallorcan culture
- Indulge in blissful relaxation on the beaches of Menorca
Amalfi Coast, Tuscany & Italian Riviera • S2121Save to favourites
- Embark on a voyage to Italy’s most inspirational regions
- Immerse yourself in the beauty and romance of the Amalfi Coast
- Enjoy a rare visit to Milazzo on the gorgeous shores of Sicily
Spain's Undiscovered Gems • T2123Save to favourites
- A taste of Spanish history and culture
- Many trendy cafés, shops, bars and vibrant, bustling squares.
- Discover the heart and historic highlights of Cádiz
Andalusia, Portugal & the Algarve • S2123Save to favourites
- Immerse yourself in the discovery of Portugal and Spain
- Explore Andalusian gems on the sunlit Spanish south coast
- Get closer to the Algarve’s coasts
Historic Heritage Sites of the Med • L2132Save to favourites
- Immerse yourself in fascinating history
- Uncover the ancient history of Cádiz’s old town
- Experience a memorable day at the ‘Four Ladies in Lisbon’
Mediterranean Discovery with Malta • T2127Save to favourites
- Immerse yourself in the rich history of the Med
- Beautiful Malta is at the heart of this historic itinerary
- Ancient treasures await you in the Spanish city of Cartagena
Iconic Italy with the Venice Carnival • L2204Save to favourites
- Tranquillity of ancient towns & opulence of iconic cities
- Enjoy time in Venice, to catch carnival’s sights & sounds
- In Croatia, view the spectacular Adriatic coastline
Emirates to the Med via the Suez Canal • S2206Save to favourites
- Superb destinations will captivate you on this adventure
- See the Burj Khalifa in Dubai
- Visit the breath-taking ‘Lost City’ of Petra
The Balkans • T2213Save to favourites
- Be immersed in centuries of fascinating Balkan history
- Take a journey through the eras that shaped the region
- See monuments and ruins from the Ottomans, Romans and more
Corinth Canal and Greek Islands • M22CCSave to favourites
- Sail through the narrowing cliffs of Greece’s remarkable Corinth Canal
- Uncover the captivating sights and sites of Greek islands
- Immerse yourself in the Mediterranean magic of stunning cities in Spain
Black Sea Discovery & Mediterranean Adventure • L2222Save to favourites
- Visiting five stunning cities in five different countries
- Take the chance to visit wine valleys in Russia
- You’ll also experience the best of the Mediterranean