Tangier sits on the Strait of Gibraltar and is often regarded as Europe’s gateway to Africa.[ReadMoreMob] Its status as an ‘International Zone’ from the 1920s until 1956 attracted an eclectic group of millionaires, writers, artists and even spies. Modern Tangier is far from its wild heyday with rapid development to modernise the city, while retaining its historic charm. The city’s labyrinthine Medina sits inside the walls of a 15th-century Portuguese fortress and can be accessed via the Grand Socco – a lively palm tree-lined market square that makes way for numerous cafés, shops and restaurants that line the narrow, winding alleyways. Inside the Medina is Little Socco, a slice of authentic Tangier with pretty buildings surrounding a small market square.
Café Hafa is an icon of Tangier, dating back to 1921, having hosted a roster of stars including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Paul Bowles. This open air café is as known for its celebrity clientele as it is its unmissable sea views, with multiple terraces cascading down the hillside.
Cruises to Tangier
Departs: Dover • Mon 18 Oct 2021
152 nights • Boudicca • D21GV
- This around the world voyage is an unforgettable discovery of spectacular islands, iconic cities, famous historical, cultural and spiritual sites, amazing wildlife and more.
- Taste Cuban life in Havana; indulge in the paradise of South Pacific Islands; learn of New Zealand’s Maori culture; and see Sydney’s icons, meet Koalas and celebrate New Year’s in Hobart.
- Encounter Bornean orangutans; delve into Vietnamese war history; explore Singapore and bustling Mumbai; seek-out Egyptian wonders; and even walk hallowed ground in Jerusalem and Bethlehem.
From £14,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 02 Nov 2021
14 nights • Black Watch • W2126
- Experience an inspirational, immersive and authentic taste of Moroccan culture, discovering everything from magnificent mosques to iconic, medinas, souks and kasbahs.
- You can tour to UNESCO-listed Tétouan and explore its ancient medina from El Medik; then try traditional mint tea and learn about argan oil production amongst the souks of Agadir.
- See the majestic Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, or perhaps take in Marrakech’s iconic medina on tour; and explore Tangier, a city of soaring minarets and animated markets.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Fujairah • Thu 17 Feb 2022
31 nights • Boudicca • D220304
- Cruising through the Middle East and sun-soaked Mediterranean on board Boudicca, you’ll seek out magnificent ancient wonders, fascinating holy sites and authentic experiences.
- Tour to some of the world’s great ancient sites in Egypt and Jordan, including the Great Pyramids of Giza; and take chances to visit holy Jerusalem and Bethlehem in Israel.
- Enjoy less-crowded explorations of Athens and Istanbul; discover the ruins of Ephesus from Kuşadası; see Valletta’s iconic Grand Harbour; and enjoy a taste of Morocco in Tangier.
From £3,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Limassol • Fri 04 Mar 2022
16 nights • Boudicca • D2204
- Visit beautiful islands and stunning cities – at a time of year with less tourists around – to discover highlights aplenty and immerse yourself in the Mediterranean’s rich diversity.
- Experience less-crowded discoveries of Istanbul’s grand mosques, glittering palaces and bazaars, and the ancient Acropolis and temples of the Greek capital, Athens.
- Visit the ancient wonder of Ephesus on tour from Kuşadası; behold the sight of Valletta’s Grand Harbour in Malta; and taste authentic Moroccan culture during a call at Tangier.
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included