As one of the Royal Navy's most significant ports and the birthplace of Charles Dickens and Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Portsmouth has an extensive heritage and boasts an abundance of unique attractions, most of which are found at the vibrant waterfront. There's plenty to discover, explore and enjoy in this often overlooked city.
The Portsmouth Historic Dockyard boasts over 800 years of maritime history and its exhibts include the Mary Rose, HMS Victory and HMS Warrior. Stunning views of the city and the Isle of Wight from the top of the iconic Spinnaker Tower - often called 'Britain's greatest viewing tower' - are not to be missed, while the Round Tower - one of the city's oldest permanent fortifications - and Southsea Castle are well worth a look too. The stylish Gunwharf Quays shopping outlet is home to over 100 premium stores and restaurants - perfect for a little retail therapy.
Cruises to Portsmouth
Departs: Newcastle • Thu 28 Oct 2021
2 nights • Balmoral • L2133
- Spend two memorable and rewarding nights on Balmoral, sailing from Newcastle to Portsmouth, for a taste of what makes small ship cruising with Fred. Olsen so special.
- Sumptuous dining; the company of hundreds, not thousands of guests; and personal, attentive service – experience it all and much more.
- Sample the magic of ocean cruising, feeling the sea breeze, listening to the waves and watching the stars from out on Balmoral’s classic open decks.
From £299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Portsmouth • Sat 30 Oct 2021
5 nights • Balmoral • L2134
- An in-depth exploration of the beautiful River Seine, featuring scenic river cruising and extended calls at two enchanting cities.
- A two-night stay in Rouen affords plenty of time to explore Normandy’s capital in search of the Gothic-style Cathédrale de Notre Dame, Place du Vieux Marché and much more; though you may opt to tour to nearby Paris.
- With time to explore Honfleur – with its 16th century cobbled streets, delightful timber-fronted structures and colourful harbour – to the full, you’re sure to charmed by this historic maritime city.
From £649ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Portsmouth • Thu 04 Nov 2021
13 nights • Balmoral • L2135
- Revel in the early winter wonders of Northern Norway – get closer to dramatic landscapes, experience exhilarating adventures and even go in search of the spellbinding Northern Lights.
- Visiting Narvik affords opportunities to embark on a thrilling husky-sled ride or see Arctic wildlife at the Polar Park, while Tromsø’s attractions include Mount Storsteinen and the Arctic Cathedral.
- Stopping overnight at Alta could be the highlight of your holiday as, with luck on your side, you may witness the colourful, awe-inspiring Aurora Borealis illuminating the night sky.
From £1,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Portsmouth • Wed 17 Nov 2021
13 nights • Balmoral • L2136
- Visiting four fabulous islands with a wealth of breathtaking attractions, you’re in for an incredible journey of Canarian discovery on board Balmoral.
- Volcanic landscapes will beg for your exploration at La Palma, Tenerife and Lanzarote, while enchanting forest, mysterious pyramids, subterranean caverns and much more awaits you too.
- There’s also a visit Madeira, to explore famous botanical gardens and unique walking routes; and you might even witness the awe-inspiring wonder of the Leonids meteors at night.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Portsmouth • Tue 30 Nov 2021
6 nights • Balmoral • L2137
- Immerse yourself in the famous yuletide spirit of Germany with visits to two enchanting cities that really come to life at ‘the most wonderful time of year’.
- Experience the magic of dreamland-esque German Christmas markets draped in twinkling lights and decorations, and packed with wooden huts offering traditional gifts, glühwein and lebkuchen.
- There are plenty of other attractions to discover too, such as Bremen’s historic, UNESCO-listed centre; and Hamburg’s impressive architectural landmarks, beautiful Alster Lake and the unique Miniatur Wunderland.
From £699ppFares Explained | What's Included