As one of the Royal Navy's most significant ports and the birthplace of Charles Dickens and Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Portsmouth has an extensive heritage and boasts an abundance of unique attractions, most of which are found at the vibrant waterfront. There's plenty to discover, explore and enjoy in this often overlooked city.
The Portsmouth Historic Dockyard boasts over 800 years of maritime history and its exhibts include the Mary Rose, HMS Victory and HMS Warrior. Stunning views of the city and the Isle of Wight from the top of the iconic Spinnaker Tower - often called 'Britain's greatest viewing tower' - are not to be missed, while the Round Tower - one of the city's oldest permanent fortifications - and Southsea Castle are well worth a look too. The stylish Gunwharf Quays shopping outlet is home to over 100 premium stores and restaurants - perfect for a little retail therapy.
Cruises to Portsmouth
European Christmas Markets • L2232
- Enjoy the festive illuminations at Tivoli
- Browse the markets in Hamburg and Gothenburg
- Tour to Bruges or Brussels from Zeebrugge
Festive Spain & Portugal • L2233
- Admire the festive light displays of Vigo
- Browse Funchal’s Christmas market
- Dock within one mile of each city centre
Christmas Celebrations in the Canaries • L2234
- Enjoy an unforgettable Christmas at sea
- Discover the beaches and landscapes of the Canaries
- Celebrate New Year's Eve in style in Tenerife