The island city of Tromsø is one of northern Norway’s true delights. Rich with neo-classical architecture, the city known as the ‘Gateway to the Arctic’ contains the largest number of wooden houses in Northern Norway, and its old world charm makes it a joy to explore.
A major cultural hub above the Arctic Circle, Tromsø is famed as a viewing point for the colourful Northern Lights that often light up the night sky.[ReadMoreMob] The city’s most recognisable landmark is the must-visit Arctic Cathedral. Built in 1965, the cathedral’s distinctive iceberg-shaped design was inspired by the landscapes of Northern Norway and features a beautiful glass mosaic.
The many museums and galleries in the city include the Perspektivet Museum – set in a neo-classical building built in 1838 that has exhibits from Tromsø’s past, plus the Art Museum of Northern Norway and the Mack Brewery. Tromsø is also home to Polaria, an Arctic aquarium that is popular with locals and tourists alike. The aquarium’s tanks are full of Arctic fish species, and the friendly bearded seals always delight the visiting crowds.
Tromsø, and the stunning landscapes that surround it, are best viewed from the top of the Storsteinen Mountain, which stands 420 metres above sea level. Accessible via cable car, the peak is easy to reach and one of the most popular spots on the edge of the city.
Tromsø was the centre of seal hunting in north Norway, and was established as the ‘Gateway to the Arctic Circle’ in the late 1800s. It has long been an important base for many polar expeditions, and the Polar Museum exhibits and presents this polar seafaring traditions. The Arctic Cathedral stands proud at the end of Tromsø Bridge. It is actually called ‘Tromsdalen Church’, and serves as the parish church for mainland Tromsø. However, because of its striking shape and daring architecture, the church became known as Ishavskatedralen (The Arctic Cathedral).
Enjoy the snowy Norwegian scenery on a dog sledding adventure, as you act as musher on a sled pulled by adorable Alaskan huskies. You will feel the strength of your team, as you ride past frozen lakes, forests and majestic mountains; look out for foxes, owls, snow grouse, eagles, reindeer and moose.
Like a prolonged sunset and sunrise all at once, the midnight sun colours heaven and earth in a reddish yellow light. The Fjellheisen Cable Car is open past midnight in the summer, with the sun hovering above the peaks at Ringvassøya Island.
Fjellheisen Cable Car
The cable car runs from Solliveien in Tromsdalen up to the mountain ledge Storsteinen (421 m above sea level) in just four minutes. The two gondolas, known as Seal and Polar bear, each have a capacity of 28 passengers. From the viewing platform at the upper station, you can enjoy spectacular panoramic views of Tromsø and the surrounding islands, mountains and fjords. At the fully licensed Fjellstua restaurant, you can enjoy a delicious dinner based on local produce.
Cruises to Tromsø
Rugged & Remote Spitsbergen • L2217
- Experience a unique exploration of Norway
- Be immersed in the stunning beauty of Spitsbergen
- Revel in the wonder of the mesmerising midnight sun
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2230
- Overnights in Alta and Tromsø to spot Aurora Borealis
- Spend time with the Sámi people in Tromsø
- Cross the Arctic Circle
Arctic Fjords & Midnight Sun • L2215
- Cross the Arctic Circle
- Experience the Midnight Sun phenomenon
- Sail through size-restricted Trollfjord and Hjorundfjord
In Search of the Northern Lights • S2228A
- Visit Tromsø for a chance to seek-out Aurora Borealis amongst the Arctic wilderness, away from light-polluted skies.
- Experience a taste of Sami community life at Alta; and explore the unique 'blue town' of Sortland.
- Scenic cruise by Torghatten and the Seven Sisters mountains too.
Borealis Searches for the Northern Lights • S2301
- Search for the Northern Lights in Alta & Tromso
- Spend time with traditional Sami people in the wilderness
- Sail across the Arctic Circle
In Search of the Northern Lights • T2304
- Enjoy a thrilling husky ride from Bodø
- Seek out the breath-taking Northern Lights in Alta
- Explore the 'Gateway to the Arctic' city of Tromsø
In Search of the Northern Lights in Nine Nights • T2305
- Seek out the enigmatic Aurora Borealis from Alta
- Marvel at the iceberg-shaped Arctic Cathedral in Tromsø
- Explore Alesund to the full as Bolette docks close to the city centre
In Search of the Northern Lights in Nine Nights • T2306
- Spend time with the fascinating Sami people in Alta
- Take the cable car up Mount Storsteinen in Tromsø
- Revel in the stunning scenery in Bodø
Exploring the Arctic • T2316
- Off the beaten track, discover remote, unique destinations in Arctic Norway, Iceland and Greenland
- Explore isolated Spitsbergen and sample Arctic life
- Seek-out wildlife and natural wonders, from icebergs to steaming geysers
Exploring Northern Norway - the Land of the Midnight Sun • S2312
- Experience an unforgettable discovery of Northern Norway
- Cross the Arctic Circle, visit the North Cape and witness the Midnight Sun
- Explore Tromsø; learn of Sami traditions; and see the beauty of Bodo too
Rugged & Remote Spitsbergen with the Midnight Sun • L2317
- Experience a taste of past and present life amongst the isolated lands of Spitsbergen
- Explore abandoned towns, revel in the beauty of their Arctic landscapes and more
- Witness the midnight sun and see astonishing natural wonders within the Arctic Circle
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2328
- Revel in Arctic Norway’s winter wonders, from its snowy landscapes to the astonishing Northern Lights
- Go husky sledding from Narvik and, in Alta, seek-out Aurora Borealis and connect with Sami culture
- Experience unforgettable scenic cruising on Christmas Day, and celebrate New Year’s Eve at Ålesund
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2404
- An incredible Arctic adventure packed with memorable experiences, including seeking-out the Northern Lights
- Mush a team of huskies on an Arctic sledding adventure, sample local Sami life and more
- Capture the beauty of Arctic wilderness, the Tjeldsundet Strait and stunning natural landmarks
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2405
- Seek-out the Northern Lights on a very special, shorter-than-usual Arctic exploration
- With luck on your side, you’ll get to see the lights during nights spent on board Balmoral
- Enjoy unique Arctic experiences, such as husky sledding and ice fishing, during time ashore
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2406
- Take in some of the most memorable Arctic sights whilst spending just nine nights away
- Your journey has been specifically designed to go in search of the Northern Lights
- During time ashore, husky sled into Arctic wilderness and go ice fishing too
In Search of the Northern Lights in Nine Nights • L2407
- Embark on a cruise created specifically for seeking out the Northern Lights
- You’ve chances to witness Mother Nature’s light show from the comfort of Balmoral
- Explore Arctic wilderness, go husky sledding and have a go at traditional ice fishing too