The sea has always ruled Stavanger, and its seafaring history of over 1,000 years is testament to this; with its fishing industry playing a vital role in Norway’s economy in the 1920’s, and nowadays it is oil and gas, where the Norwegian Continental Shelf plays its part as a testing ground for new technology. Elsewhere, the old town of Gamle Stavanger has narrow winding streets lined with wooden houses, and The Swords in the Rock monument is just outside the town.
Old Town of Stavanger
Old Stavanger is a cluster of 173 small, white wooden houses built some 200 years ago. It is a national heritage area and is also where the Norwegian Canning Museum is located.
Cruises to Stavanger
Wintertime Norwegian Fjords • T2303
- Admire the views from Mount Floyen in Bergen
- Experience the Flamsbana Railway in Flam
- Experience the very best of Bergen
In Search of the Northern Lights • T2304
- Enjoy a thrilling husky ride from Bodø
- Seek out the breath-taking Northern Lights in Alta
- Explore the 'Gateway to the Arctic' city of Tromsø
Be the first to hear about our latest cruise deals by signing up to receive our emails.
Norwegian Fjords Bank Holiday Escape • T2315
- Ride the famous Flamsbana Railway from Flam
- Marvel at the scenery of Nærøyfjord from Bolette
- Explore the historic city of Stavanger
Mighty Waterfalls & Norwegian Fjords • S2308
- Fully appreciate Norway on an exploration of the fjords.
- See towering mountains, cliffs and forested valleys.
- Take a ride on the famous Flåmsbana Railway.
Discovering Scandinavia's Viking Heritage • L2320
- Explore Viking heritage in Norway and Denmark
- See original Viking ships or visit Viking burial grounds
- Experience scenic cruising along Norwegian fjords
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2404
- An incredible Arctic adventure packed with experiences
- Mush a team of huskies on an Arctic sledding adventure
- See the Arctic wilderness and natural landmarks