Behind the bustle of the prosperous and cosmopolitan Stavanger of today lie 1,000 years of ancient seafaring tradition and history. This vibrant, exciting Norwegian city oozes charm and was awarded the prestigious title of ‘European Capital of Culture’ in 2008.
The city’s wealth and thriving oil industry has prompted its tag as Norway’s ‘Oil Capital’, but Stavanger has remained as charming as ever. The old town, Gamle Stavanger, has narrow winding streets and ancient wooden houses gathered round an historic fresh fish and vegetable market.[ReadMoreMob] Stavanger is also a university city, which is reflected in the city’s lively, urban atmosphere, and in the varied assortment of shopping and dining experiences.
The Norwegian Petroleum Museum exhibits drilling equipment, a model oil platform, submersibles and audio-visual shows, while the city’s Herring Canning Museum celebrates one of Stavanger’s earlier sources [ReadMoreDesk]of wealth. Beyond the town, the Three Swords monument commemorates the 9th century battle of Hafrsfjord – the moment Harald Hårfagre became the first King of Norway.
Stavanger is also perfectly placed for the breath-taking Lysefjord, one of the most famous Norwegian Fjords. This stunning waterway is home to the Kjerag Mountain and Preikestolen (The Pulpit Rock) – two of the country's most popular attractions.
Old Town of Stavanger
Old Stavanger is a cluster of 173 small, white wooden houses built some 200 years ago. It is a national heritage area and is also where the Norwegian Canning Museum is located.
Cruises to Stavanger
In Search of the Northern Lights • T2304
- Enjoy a thrilling husky ride from Bodø
- Seek out the breath-taking Northern Lights in Alta
- Explore the 'Gateway to the Arctic' city of Tromsø
Norwegian Fjords Bank Holiday Escape • T2315
- Ride the famous Flamsbana Railway from Flam
- Marvel at the spectacular scenery of Nærøyfjord from Bolette
- Explore the historic city of Stavanger
Mighty Waterfalls & Norwegian Fjords • S2308
- Fully appreciate Norway’s spectacular beauty, on a springtime exploration of the fjords
- See towering mountains, cliffs and verdant, forested valleys in Lysefjord, Naeroyfjord and more
- Take a ride on the famous Flåmsbana Railway, go fjord kayaking and see waterfalls up-close too
Discovering Scandinavia's Viking Heritage • L2320
- Explore the Viking heritage of historic destinations in Norway, Denmark and the UK
- See original Viking ships; visit Viking burial grounds; and much more
- Experience scenic cruising along Norwegian fjords and by Lindisfarne too
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2404
- An incredible Arctic adventure packed with memorable experiences
- Mush a team of huskies on an Arctic sledding adventure
- Capture the beauty of Arctic wilderness and stunning natural landmarks