San Sebastian Cruises
San Sebastian is the beautiful capital of La Gomera, one of the smaller, lesser-known islands in the Canaries. A lively, vibrant city, San Sebastian offers much to enjoy including pristine beaches, perfectly-preserved historic buildings and natural parks of jaw-dropping beauty.
Also known as 'Isla Colombina' because of its historic links to Christopher Columbus – the great explorer called at La Gomera on his way to America.[ReadMoreMob] Many of San Sebastian’s buildings and monuments are linked to him, including the Casa de la Agunada and the Casa de Colon where, according to legend, Columbus stayed during his time on the island.
The 15th century Torre del Conde military tower and Ermita de San Sebastian Church, which dates back to the 16th century, are easily accessible highlights. The Church of the Assumption has a mural depicting an 18th-century battle, while La Gomera Archaeological Museum traces the local culture through artefacts and scale models. [ReadMore]
The city’s beaches are typically Canarian and benefit from a fantastic warm climate almost all-year round, soft sands and crystal clear waters. Playa de La Cueva – often referred to as La Gomera’s best beach, is a great place to relax.
Northwest of the city lies the Parque Natural de Majona, a beautiful natural park smothered with rolling valleys, stunning flora and dry Fayal-Heath, creates an incredible landscape that's a joy to explore.
Links to Fred. Olsen
The Fred. Olsen Group has historical links to the Canary Islands, having had operations here since 1904. In Gomera, you will find a road named Paseo Fred Olsen, a ferry service, and a family-owned hotel - Hotel Jardin Tecina.
While much of La Gomera is rocky and mountainous, the island is also home to lush valleys, palm trees, banana plantations, black sand beaches, forests and even a tropical
jungle in the Garajonay National Park. La Gomera has been declared a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
Columbus and his crews used this island as a port of call on their voyages both to India and to Central and South America.
Cruises to San Sebastian
Departs: Southampton • Tue 22 Dec 2020
15 nights • Balmoral • L2033
- Sailing to the gorgeous, sun-kissed islands of the Canaries and Madeira to uncover a seemingly endless list of highlights, you’ll experience a magical, memorable and laidback festive season.
- Spend Christmas at sea, indulging with delicious food, festivity and fantastic entertainment; then enjoy a relaxing and rewarding Boxing Day exploring the scenic trails and floral gardens of Madeira.
- In the Canaries, visits to four spectacular destinations renowned for their year-round warmth, breathtaking beaches and volcanic landscapes culminates with a spectacular New Year’s celebration in Tenerife.
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Tue 23 Nov 2021
14 nights • Braemar • M2129
- With smaller-scaled Braemar bringing you closer to the diverse landscapes and natural wonders of the balmy Canaries and Madeira, feel a world away from the autumn gloom back home.
- Three sun-kissed Canary Islands await exploration; immerse yourself in the blissful, unspoilt beauty of volcanic peaks, fauna-rich forests and poison gardens in La Palma, La Gomera and Tenerife.
- Discover Madeira’s resplendent botanical gardens and beautiful walking trails during an extended stay in Funchal; plus, taste Lisbon’s authentic culture and history.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Mon 06 Dec 2021
14 nights • Black Watch • W2128
- Prepare for the busy festive period on a pre-Christmas getaway packed with the sun, sand and sights of a string of gorgeous islands.
- Tenerife is sure to be a highlight; an extended stay timed to offer a chance to witness the magical ‘shooting stars’ of the Geminid Meteor Shower.
- You could also see Mount Teide in Tenerife; explore the volcanic landscapes and verdant forests of La Gomera and La Palma; and indulge in the renowned warmth of Gran Canaria.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Wed 22 Dec 2021
14 nights • Balmoral • L2131
- Savour an unforgettable festive season as you sail to and visit a string of stunning, sun-kissed Atlantic Ocean islands on board.
- Celebrate Christmas at sea with fun, festivity and delicious food; and in Madeira, welcome the arrival of 2022 in style as spectacular New Year’s fireworks illuminate Funchal’s night sky.
- You’ll have time to explore Madeira’s gorgeous gardens and trails too, while an post-Christmas Canary Island hopping adventure takes in Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Gomera and La Palma.
From £2,299ppFares Explained | What's Included