Leknes, one of the first ports inside the Arctic Circle, looks out over the stunning Lofoten Islands, which are rich in Viking history and Arctic nature. The wild landscape of jagged peaks, cliffs and bright-white sandy beaches makes the area one of the most picturesque in Norway.
The nearby village of Borg is home to a Viking museum, based on one of the largest buildings of the Viking era that has ever been discovered.[ReadMoreMob] The museum is very much alive: partly lit by oil lamps, it has exhibits of gold fertility figures, pottery, and glassware and regular displays of handicrafts. In the outside area are domestic animals, many of which are ancient breeds that were raised by the Vikings.
Leknes and the Lofoten Islands have some of the most striking scenery in Norway, combining mountains and cliffs with lush-green landscapes.
Typically, the words Arctic and beach are not typically mentioned in the same sentence, however, on the Lofoten islands there are perhaps some of the most spectacular beaches you will ever see.
Cruises to Leknes
Departs: Southampton • Sun 14 Jun 2020
14 nights • Braemar • M2015
- Sailing an epic route from southern England to mainland Europe’s northernmost point and back aboard Braemar, you’re in for a cruise packed with incredible experiences.
- You’ll cross the Arctic Circle; revel in the sight of unique mountains and landscapes; see coastal bonfires marking the Summer Solstice; and even witness the magical midnight sun.
- Honningsvåg, gateway to the North Cape, awaits you at the ‘top of Europe’, while you’ll also visit Tromsø, the beautiful Lofoten Islands and experience scenic cruising of spellbinding Geirangerfjord.
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Fri 25 Sep 2020
12 nights • Black Watch • W2027
- Savour the effortlessly alluring scenery and tranquillity of breathtaking islands in Northern Norway, with explorations of the rugged and remote Lofoten and Vesterålen archipelagos.
- Visit Leknes, for fascinating Viking history and scenes of mountain peaks and beautiful beaches; and the unique ‘Blue Town’ of Sortland; and experience scenic cruising by picturesque Reine.
- Elsewhere, you’ll stop overnight in Tromsø, home of the iconic Arctic Cathedral and Mount Storsteinen; and sail past the Torghatten and Seven Sisters mountains aboard Black Watch.
From £1,749ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Newcastle • Wed 24 Mar 2021
8 nights • Balmoral • L2108
- Be captivated from start to finish on a very special, shorter-than-usual exploration of Northern Norway, as you unearth an abundance of Arctic attractions with visits Leknes, Tromsø and Bodø.
- Experience the unerring quiet and beauty of Arctic wildness on authentic husky sledding tours; marvel at the picture-perfect landscapes of the Lofoten Islands; visit the iconic Arctic Cathedral; and much more.
- In between your time ashore, you’ll spend unforgettable evenings on board Balmoral seeking out the awe-inspiring Aurora Borealis, Mother Nature’s spectacular, multi-coloured light show.
From £1,099ppFares Explained | What's Included