A vibrant town that dates back to the time of the Vikings, Haugesund is said to be where Harald Fairhair - the first Viking King of Norway – is buried and boasts an impressive history. Now known as the cultural hub of Western Norway, Haugesund is home to several festivals and events throughout the year including the Norwegian International Film Festival.
Formerly an important fishing and shipbuilding town, Haugesund has developed into one of Norway’s most exciting commercial regions, combining small town charm with bigger city amenities. Explore the town centre and discover Haugesund’s large shopping centres, markets, restaurants and pubs or take a short trip away from the town and immerse yourself in the scenic Haugalandet countryside, taking in the beautiful sights and sounds of the surrounding waters and fjords.
There are still plenty of historic sites to discover in Haugesund, despite it's recent modernisation. Haraldshaugen, the site of one of Norway’s most important historic monuments located just north of the town centre. Here you will find the burial mound, the stone cross, the church site and Haraldsstotta – the national monument that commemorates the unification of Norway. The site is said to be where Harald Fairhair – the first Viking King of Norway – is buried.
Cruises to Haugesund
Norway's Mountains and Scenic Fjords • L2223A
- Scenic cruise Lysefjord & Eresfjord
- Ride the Rauma Railway into the fjordland
- Visit Lovatnet Lake from Olden
Mighty Waterfalls & Norwegian Fjords • S2308
- Fully appreciate Norway’s spectacular beauty, on a springtime exploration of the fjords
- See towering mountains, cliffs and verdant, forested valleys in Lysefjord, Naeroyfjord and more
- Take a ride on the famous Flåmsbana Railway, go fjord kayaking and see waterfalls up-close too
Scenic Summertime Norwegian Fjords • S2313
- Fully appreciate their spectacular beauty of the fjordland in the summer
- As you sail Lysefjord, Naeroyfjord and more, see towering mountains, cliffs and verdant, forested valleys
- Ride the famous Flåmsbana Railway into mountainous valleys, go fjord kayaking and see tumbling waterfalls up-close
Scenic Summertime Norwegian Fjords • M2318
- Experience the beauty and natural wonders of the fjordland to the full
- See the summertime scenery of Hardangerfjord, Maurangerfjord, Sognefjord and more
- Go fjord kayaking, witness spectacular waterfalls and marvel at mighty mountains
Classic Norwegian Fjords • M2322
- Sail scenic, size-restricted waterways as it turns from summer to autumn in the fjordland
- Revel in the beauty of Hardangerfjord, Nordfjord and Karmsund, and see mighty Hornelen
- Experience fjord kayaking, tour to the Briksdal Glacier, and see Bergen like a local too