The picturesque village of Eidfjord, set within the breath-taking Hardangerfjord, is a gateway to some of the region's most spectacular natural features and possibly the most beautiful place in the Norwegian fjords. Located beneath a back-drop of soaring, snow-peaked mountains, engraved with rivers and waterfalls, Eidfjord begs for exploration and presents some of the fjordland's greatest photo opportunities The village’s tranquil feel extends to the lush fields that run for miles, meandering through clusters of wood-slat homes in ice-cream hues.
Two quaint churches, one dated back to 1309, are both worth exploring, while the Troll Train offers a 50-minute guided tour of this stunning region.[ReadMoreMob] From the train you can experience Eidfjord’s exquisite scenery and Hæreid, the largest Viking burial site from the Iron Age.
Hiking is very popular in the area, and for those keen sports enthusiasts, kayaking down the dramatic, mountain-flanked fjords is a must-do. Alternatively, visitors can head for the amazing Hardangervidda Nature Centre or the infamous Voringfossen Waterfall, a tumbling natural beauty set deep in the mountains of Måbødalen Valley.
One of the most famous waterfalls in Norway, Vøringfoss stands at a height of over 180 metres (590 feet), with a free fall of 145 metres (475 feet). Set in idyllic natural surroundings, the waterfall is one of Norway’s most visited tourist attractions.
Hardangervidda Nature Centre
The Hardangervidda Nature Centre offers a fascinating insight into Norwegian nature and the environment. Set in a dramatic location, the Nature Centre features three interactive floors, aquariums and live exhibitions, enabling visitors to learn more about the natural and cultural history of the area.
Considered the Queen of the Fjords, the Hardangerfjord is the second longest fjord in Norway, and the fourth largest in the world. It is known as the ‘Orchard of Norway’, as the banks of the fjord are lined with farms and fruit orchards.
Cruises to Eidfjord
Cruising the Scenic Fjords of Norway • T2119
- Discover unforgettable sights of Norway
- Take in the awe-inspiring landscapes of Hardangerfjord
- Make magical memories ashore at Flåm, and Stavanger
Wintertime Fjords with up Helly Aa • L2303
- A rare wintertime exploration of Norway’s magical fjords
- Savour the spectacular scenes of Sognefjord
- In the Shetland Islands catch the Up Helly Aa Festival
Classic Norwegian Fjords • L2208
- A spectacular seven-night discovery of Norway
- A chance to kayak the glassy waters of Hardangerfjord
- Experience the unspoilt views of Nordfjord
Classic Norwegian Fjords • L2212
- A taste of fjordland in five nights
- Take in the highlights on a local bike ride
- Explore the city sights of Bergen
Norwegian Fjords & Mighty Waterfalls • T2210
- Witness Norwegian fjordland in the spring
- See Fureberg Waterfall at its most powerful
- Uncover Haugesunds fascinating Viking history
Norwegian Fjords & Mighty Waterfalls • S2213
- Witness Fureberg Waterfall at its most powerful
- Hear the creaking ice of the Briksdal Glacier on tour
- Experience scenes of rugged &verdant valleys
Norwegian Fjords & Mighty Waterfalls • M2215
- Scenic cruising into beautiful waterways
- You could tour from Olden to Briksdal Glacier
- See the tumbling waters of the Langfoss & Fureberg waterfalls