The charming town of Bodø is the northernmost point on the stunning Kystriksveien Coastal Route and home to the world's strongest maelstrom, Saltstraumen. The port represents the northern terminus of Norway's railway system, and is ideal for year round bird spotting as it boasts the world’s densest population of sea eagles.
The curious experience of the midnight sun from the summit of Mount Ronvikfjellet is a sight to behold, while strolling along Bodø’s chalk-white beach, or enjoying some shopping in the bustling town centre, are popular pastimes. [ReadMoreMob]
The majestic stained-glass windows and delicate tapestries within Bodø Cathedral make for a particularly worthwhile trip. Bodø’s historic past can be uncovered by visiting one of the town’s museums, and the Aviation Museum offers a glimpse into Norway’s aviation history. Exhibits include famous aircraft such as the Supermarine Spitfire, Tiger Moth and F-86 Sabre.
Possibly the strongest tidal current in the world, 400 million cubic metres of water surge through this channel with every tide, reaching speeds up to 20 knots and forming huge maelstroms.
Cruises to Bodø
Arctic Fjords & Midnight Sun • L2215
- Cross the Arctic Circle
- Experience the Midnight Sun phenomenon
- Sail through size-restricted Trollfjord and Hjorundfjord
In Search of the Northern Lights • S2228A
- Visit Tromsø for a chance to seek-out Aurora Borealis amongst the Arctic wilderness, away from light-polluted skies.
- Experience a taste of Sami community life at Alta; and explore the unique 'blue town' of Sortland.
- Scenic cruise by Torghatten and the Seven Sisters mountains too.
Borealis Searches for the Northern Lights • S2301
- Search for the Northern Lights in Alta & Tromso
- Spend time with traditional Sami people in the wilderness
- Sail across the Arctic Circle
In Search of the Northern Lights • T2304
- Enjoy a thrilling husky ride from Bodø
- Seek out the breath-taking Northern Lights in Alta
- Explore the 'Gateway to the Arctic' city of Tromsø
In Search of the Northern Lights in Nine Nights • T2306
- Spend time with the fascinating Sami people in Alta
- Take the cable car up Mount Storsteinen in Tromsø
- Revel in the stunning scenery in Bodø
Exploring Northern Norway - the Land of the Midnight Sun • S2312
- Experience an unforgettable discovery of Northern Norway
- Cross the Arctic Circle, visit the North Cape and witness the Midnight Sun
- Explore Tromsø; learn of Sami traditions; and see the beauty of Bodo too
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2404
- An incredible Arctic adventure packed with memorable experiences, including seeking-out the Northern Lights
- Mush a team of huskies on an Arctic sledding adventure, sample local Sami life and more
- Capture the beauty of Arctic wilderness, the Tjeldsundet Strait and stunning natural landmarks
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2405
- Seek-out the Northern Lights on a very special, shorter-than-usual Arctic exploration
- With luck on your side, you’ll get to see the lights during nights spent on board Balmoral
- Enjoy unique Arctic experiences, such as husky sledding and ice fishing, during time ashore
In Search of the Northern Lights • L2406
- Take in some of the most memorable Arctic sights whilst spending just nine nights away
- Your journey has been specifically designed to go in search of the Northern Lights
- During time ashore, husky sled into Arctic wilderness and go ice fishing too
In Search of the Northern Lights in Nine Nights • L2407
- Embark on a cruise created specifically for seeking out the Northern Lights
- You’ve chances to witness Mother Nature’s light show from the comfort of Balmoral
- Explore Arctic wilderness, go husky sledding and have a go at traditional ice fishing too