Seven hills and seven fjords frame Hanseatic Bergen, a city steeped in maritime heritage. Of Bergen’s many attractions, the 900-year-old UNESCO-listed Bryggen Wharf is a standout highlights. A delight to explore, the Bryggen's cobbled stairways are lined with traditional half-timbered buildings and climb away from the waterfront, leading to curious open spaces that are often overflowing with colourful flowers that perfume the air.
Bergen has a vibrant fish market and hosts one of Norway's biggest cultural events of the year, the Bergen International Festival.[ReadMoreMob] The city was once the home of Norway's most famous composer, Edvard Grieg, and the Troldhaugen Museum is devoted to his life’s work.
Not to be missed is a chance to ride the Funicular Railway to the top of Mount Fløyen, offering spectacular panoramic views of Bergen and its scenic surroundings.
The very first buildings built in Bergen were alongside the harbour at Bryggen, which dates back to the 11th century. Now an UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Bryggen Wharf consists of the old Hanseatic wharf and buildings, and is one of the best-known urban areas from the Middle Ages in all of Norway.
The Fløibanen Funicular is an approximate 20 minute walk from the cruise ship pier and operates every 15 minutes. Once at the summit of Mount Fløyen, approximately 320 metres above sea level, you're presented with spectacular views of the city below, the surrounding hills, mountains and fjords and the ocean.
Cruises to Bergen
Scenic Views of Norway's Iconic Fjords • L2121
- Lose yourself in the dramatic scenery of the waterways
- Be charmed by the countryside scenes of Langfjorden
- Chances to see breathtaking waterfalls and glaciers up close
Norwegian White Christmas • T2130
- Experience New Year celebrations in Norway
- Enjoy a memorable Christmas with all the trimmings
- You can explore the unique ‘Blue Town’ of Sortland
Spectacular Fjordland Adventure • S2115
- Sail deep into the heart of Norway on Borealis
- Immerse yourself in the tranquillity of Nærøyfjord
- Ride the iconic Flåmsbana railway
Wintertime Fjords with up Helly Aa • L2303
- A rare wintertime exploration of Norway’s magical fjords
- Savour the spectacular scenes of Sognefjord
- In the Shetland Islands catch the Up Helly Aa Festival