Surrounded by the incredible mountains of the Romsdalsfjord, Åndalsnes is often referred to as the 'Alp town by the fjord'. Situated at the mouth of the Rauma River, the town is in one of the most beautiful areas of scenic Norway, and a natural starting point for forest walks in the hilly terrain and short hikes to magnificent viewpoints.
With all its natural attractions, this beautiful destination is one of Norway’s most popular locations for sightseers and a mecca for hikers.[ReadMoreMob] Known as the 'Mountaineering Capital', Åndalsnes is close to the mighty Trollveggen (The Troll Wall), the tallest vertical rock face in Europe – an appealing challenge for many climbers. Many visitors, who wish to enjoy the sights with a little less effort, can take the Rauma Railway into the mountains to discover amazing views.
This iconic railway, running between Andalsnes and Dombas, offers passengers an opportunity to experience some of Norway's most spectacular views. Stretching for 114 kilometres (71 miles), the railway, which was featured in the blockbuster film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, journeys through areas of breathtaking natural beauty and by astonishing natural wonders, such as the Trollveggen Cliff, Romsdalen Valley and Rauma River.
Atlantic Ocean Road
A unique stretch of asphalt which takes you right out to the ocean’s edge, the Atlantic Road road was voted Norway’s Engineering Feat of the Century and is regarded as one of the world's greatest and most beautiful drives. A National Tourist Route, it connects Averøy with the mainland via a series of small islands and islets spanned by eight bridges over 8274 metres, and the section between Bud and Kristiansund is one continuous experience packed with coastal scenery, culture and history.
Cruises to Åndalsnes
Hidden Gems of the Norwegian Fjords • L2218A
- Discover the fjordland's hidden gems
- Visit the 'home of the giants' and 'Troll Wall'
- See natural wonders ashore and on Balmoral
Norway's Mountains and Scenic Fjords • L2223A
- Scenic cruise Lysefjord & Eresfjord
- Ride the Rauma Railway into the fjordland
- Visit Lovatnet Lake from Olden
Scenic Summertime Norwegian Fjords • T2317
- Experience Norway’s fjords, their landscapes and natural wonders at their very best
- Divert into remarkable waterways, to see their cliffs, towering mountains and powerful waterfalls
- Ashore, go in search of glaciers, waterfalls and more too; and taste life as a Norwegian
Rugged & Remote Spitsbergen with the Midnight Sun • L2317
- Experience a taste of past and present life amongst the isolated lands of Spitsbergen
- Explore abandoned towns, revel in the beauty of their Arctic landscapes and more
- Witness the midnight sun and see astonishing natural wonders within the Arctic Circle
Highlights & Hidden Gems of the Norwegian Fjords • L2319
- Experience the beauty of Norway’s fjordland to the full, within its remarkable waterways
- View dramatic mountains, rock formations and verdant, forested hills and mountains
- Ashore, see Bergen like a local; ride the Rauma Railway; visit Briksdal Glacier; and more
Norwegian Fjords Bank Holiday Escape • L2321
- A 5-night taste of the Fred. Olsen cruise experience and Norway’s natural beauty
- See the beautiful landscapes of Romsdalfjord from Balmoral and the Rauma Railway
- Experience Bergen at its very best, on a ramble around the city with a local
Mighty Waterfalls & Norwegian Fjords • L2411
- Admire the Langfoss and Fureberg waterfalls
- Enjoy fjordland scenery from the Rauma Railway
- Tour to the Briksdal Glacier from Olden