Surrounded by the incredible mountains of the Romsdalsfjord, Åndalsnes is often referred to as the 'Alp town by the fjord'. Situated at the mouth of the Rauma River, the town is in one of the most beautiful areas of scenic Norway, and a natural starting point for forest walks in the hilly terrain and short hikes to magnificent viewpoints.
With all its natural attractions, this beautiful destination is one of Norway’s most popular locations for sightseers and a mecca for hikers.[ReadMoreMob] Known as the 'Mountaineering Capital', Åndalsnes is close to the mighty Trollveggen (The Troll Wall), the tallest vertical rock face in Europe – an appealing challenge for many climbers. Many visitors, who wish to enjoy the sights with a little less effort, can take the Rauma Railway into the mountains to discover amazing views.
This iconic railway, running between Andalsnes and Dombas, offers passengers an opportunity to experience some of Norway's most spectacular views. Stretching for 114 kilometres (71 miles), the railway, which was featured in the blockbuster film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, journeys through areas of breathtaking natural beauty and by astonishing natural wonders, such as the Trollveggen Cliff, Romsdalen Valley and Rauma River.
Atlantic Ocean Road
A unique stretch of asphalt which takes you right out to the ocean’s edge, the Atlantic Road road was voted Norway’s Engineering Feat of the Century and is regarded as one of the world's greatest and most beautiful drives. A National Tourist Route, it connects Averøy with the mainland via a series of small islands and islets spanned by eight bridges over 8274 metres, and the section between Bud and Kristiansund is one continuous experience packed with coastal scenery, culture and history.
Cruises to Åndalsnes
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Wed 02 Jun 2021
7 nights • Balmoral • L2117
- See Norway at its most iconic and awe-inspiring, on a scenic seven-night adventure encompassing some of the fjord’s greatest sights and highlights.
- Marvel at postcard-perfect scenes of lush valleys, soaring cliffs and alpine peaks in Nordfjord and Innvikfjord; and be astounded by the views on offer within Lustrafjord and Romsdalfjord.
- Discover astounding natural wonders ashore, from jaw-dropping mountain ranges and glorious glaciers; and delve into rich Norwegian history and culture in Bergen.
From £1,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Tue 15 Jun 2021
8 nights • Bolette • T2115
- Experience the scenic splendour of size-restricted fjords, discovering natural wonders that larger ships can’t access on smaller, friendlier Bolette.
- See the imposing mountains and countryside scenes of Akrafjord; magnificent Langfoss Waterfall; and be spellbound by the eerie peace and spectacular beauty of Nærøyfjord.
- Ride the iconic Flåmsbana and Rauma railways from Flåm and Andalsnes, to see the fjordland from a different perspective; experience fjord kayaking at Eidfjord; and tour to the awe-inspiring Briksdal Glacier and Lovatnet Lake from Olden.
From £1,199ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Wed 14 Jul 2021
7 nights • Balmoral • L2121
- Lose yourself in the dramatic scenery, eerie silence and sheer magnificence of spectacular waterways, as Balmoral sails stunning, size-restricted routes deep into Norway’s fjordland.
- Be charmed by the countryside scenes of Langfjorden and Eresfjorden; and marvel at the astonishing natural wonders of Lysefjord – only accessible to smaller ships.
- Step ashore in Olden, Skjolden, Andalsnes and Bergen, for chances to see breathtaking waterfalls and glaciers up close, ride world-famous scenic railways and enjoy a taste of Norwegian history too.
From £1,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sat 14 Aug 2021
28 nights • Bolette • T2121
- Take advantage of a rare opportunity to witness the eerie Midnight Sun in Norway and search for a glimmer of the awe-inspiring Aurora Borealis in Iceland.
- Be mesmerised by small ship scenic cruising, including a glide along glorious Prins Christiansund; an up-close view of the astonishing Tuna Glacier; and a glimpse of volcanic Jan Mayen Island.
- Make memories ashore, with chances to explore the Qooroq Ice Fjord; see Longyearbyen’s wild landscapes; tour Iceland’s Golden Circle; and much more.
From £4,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Newcastle • Fri 20 Aug 2021
9 nights • Balmoral • L2126
- From both on board Balmoral and during memorable explorations ashore, you’ll uncover astonishing sights and experiences amongst the rarely sailed fjords of Northern Norway.
- Feel as if you can touch the mountainsides of astonishing Trollfjord; see the awe-inspiring scenery of Meløy’s Nordfjord; marvel at the mighty Black Glacier; and much more.
- You can immerse yourself in the rugged beauty of the Lofoten Islands and Bodo; take in Tromsø’s many must-visit attractions; and ride the spectacular Rauma Railway from Åndalsnes.
From £1,399ppFares Explained | What's Included