Surrounded by the incredible mountains of the Romsdalsfjord, Åndalsnes is often referred to as the 'Alp town by the fjord'. Situated at the mouth of the Rauma River, the town is in one of the most beautiful areas of scenic Norway, and a natural starting point for forest walks in the hilly terrain and short hikes to magnificent viewpoints.
With all its natural attractions, this beautiful destination is one of Norway’s most popular locations for sightseers and a mecca for hikers.[ReadMoreMob] Known as the 'Mountaineering Capital', Åndalsnes is close to the mighty Trollveggen (The Troll Wall), the tallest vertical rock face in Europe – an appealing challenge for many climbers. Many visitors, who wish to enjoy the sights with a little less effort, can take the Rauma Railway into the mountains to discover amazing views.
This iconic railway, running between Andalsnes and Dombas, offers passengers an opportunity to experience some of Norway's most spectacular views. Stretching for 114 kilometres (71 miles), the railway, which was featured in the blockbuster film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, journeys through areas of breathtaking natural beauty and by astonishing natural wonders, such as the Trollveggen Cliff, Romsdalen Valley and Rauma River.
Atlantic Ocean Road
A unique stretch of asphalt which takes you right out to the ocean’s edge, the Atlantic Road road was voted Norway’s Engineering Feat of the Century and is regarded as one of the world's greatest and most beautiful drives. A National Tourist Route, it connects Averøy with the mainland via a series of small islands and islets spanned by eight bridges over 8274 metres, and the section between Bud and Kristiansund is one continuous experience packed with coastal scenery, culture and history.
Cruises to Åndalsnes
Rugged & Remote Spitsbergen • L2217
- Experience a unique exploration of Norway
- Be immersed in the stunning beauty of Spitsbergen
- Revel in the wonder of the mesmerising midnight sun
Classic Norwegian Fjords • L2208
- A spectacular seven-night discovery of Norway
- A chance to kayak the glassy waters of Hardangerfjord
- Experience the unspoilt views of Nordfjord
Norwegian Fjords & Mighty Waterfalls • L2216
- Admire the Langfoss and Fureberg waterfalls
- Enjoy fjordland scenery from the Rauma Railway
- Tour to the Briksdal Glacier from Olden
Norway's Mountains & Scenic Fjords • L2220
- Sail through size-restricted Fjærlandsfjorden
- Uncover Norwegian folklore in Jotunheimen from Skjolden
- Ride the Rauma Railway through fjordland scenery
Scenic Arctic Fjords • L2223
- Uncover Norwegian troll folklore from Åndalsnes
- Sail past Black Glacier and Torghatten
- Experience life of the Sámi people in Tromsø
Norway's Mountains & Scenic Fjords • M2225
- Scenic cruise Lysefjord & Eresfjord
- Ride the Rauma Railway into the fjordland
- Visit Lovetnet Lake from Olden