Reykjavik – Iceland’s stunning coastal capital and cultural centre – is the world’s most northerly capital. The city combines colourful buildings, impulsive, creative people, extraordinary design, and some of the country’s most beautiful natural wonders.
The cosmopolitan city with big heart is home to the Althing – the world’s oldest parliament, and the National and Saga Museums, which trace Iceland’s Viking history. The impressive Hallgrímskirkja Church bell tower and the rotating Perlan glass dome offer panoramic views off island. Reykjavik’s galleries and exhibitions, including the outstanding Reykjavík Art Museum and National Gallery, feature radical Icelandic design, and there are many public art installations.[ReadMoreMob]
The capital has benefited from a surge in high-quality restaurant openings, offering a broad mix of creative cuisine. Daytime cafés switch to restaurants and bars at night – tapas, concept-dining and burger joints all sit comfortably together. And then there’s the wonderful nightlife.
Located in southwest Iceland – characterised by vast peninsulas, coves, straits and islands – Reykjavik is in easy reach of several must-see geological attractions. The iconic Golden Circle Trail includes the Blue Lagoon Spa, the Thingvellir National Park, the renowned Gullfoss Waterfall, and the incredible Geysir hot springs.
Nauthólsvík Geothermal Beach – Reykjavik’s little bit of paradise – is also unmissable. The popular sandy beach and geothermal lagoon, where cold sea and hot geothermal waters meet to produce higher temperatures, offers hot-tubs, steam baths and various water sports to try.
The three Icelandic Wonders
Þingvellir (Thingvellir National Park), Geysir and Gullfoss (Golden waterfall) are the three must see wonders of Iceland. Þingvellir is a natural wonder on an international scale and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site – this natural park is situated on the tectonic plate boundaries of the Mid Atlantic Ridge. The faults and fissures of the area give evidence to the rifting of the earth's crust. Next to discover is the Geysir field, situated at the northern edge of the southern lowlands. This is where you can view the hot springs – in particular Strokkur which is currently the most energetic spouting spring in Iceland. It spouts every few minutes, sometimes to a height of 40 metres. Lastly, but by no means least, is Gullfoss, one of Iceland’s iconic gems. Enjoy the spectacular beauty of untouched nature as Gullfoss flows from Iceland’s second biggest glacier, the Langjökull, and cascades 32 metres down. On a sunny day a shimmering rainbow can be seen over the falls.
Set in the surreal surroundings of an ancient lava field, amidst the natural elements and pure Icelandic air, this geothermal wonder is the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate the mind and body. Spoil yourself in the modern spa, with a unique experience of bathing in this world famous lagoon.
Cruises to Reykjavík
Icelandic Wonders & Wildlife • L2122
- Experience the awe-inspiring beauty of Iceland
- Discover stunning scenes out of reach to larger ships
- Witness the waterfalls of the Golden Circle
The Natural Wonders of Iceland • L2125
- An unforgettable circumnavigation of Iceland
- Explore the Golden Circle and see its bubbling geysirs
- Discover remote bird havens and wonderlands of tundra
Exploring the Arctic with the Midnight Sun • T2121
- A rare opportunity to see the Midnight Sun in Norway
- Be mesmerised by small ship scenic cruising
- Make memories ashore, with chances to explore the Qooroq Ice Fjord
The Natural Wonders of Iceland • S2114
- Get closer to the awe-inspiring wonders of Iceland
- See the Golden Circle’s Geysir hot springs
- Encounter the native puffins of Vigur Island
Fjords & Icebergs of Remote Greenland • S2119
- Borealis will show you the wonders of Greenland’s remote regions
- Experience scenic cruising of awe-inspiring Prins Christiansund
- Explore Qaqortoq and Nanortalik’s for a taste of local history
Whales & Volcanoes of Iceland & The Azores • S2210
- With ORCA, look for species of whale living in Atlantic waters
- Revel in the drama of awe-inspiring scenery
- Delve into history and culture, and explore historic cities
Natural Wonders of Iceland • T2209
- Search for Whales in their natural habitat
- Visit the Gulfuss & Godafoss waterfalls
- Spot Puffins & Arctic Terns on Vigur Island