Basse-Terre, the main city on the island of the same name, is the administrative capital of French overseas region Guadeloupe, and the ideal place from which to explore all of the natural beauty that the island has to offer.[ReadMoreMob] Separated from Grand-Terre by a narrow river, the island of Basse-Terre is an ecological paradise, with the sprawling Parc National de la Guadeloupe in the centre of the island and one of the country’s most glorious beaches in the north.
The city of Basse-Terre sits in the shadow of La Soufrière, an active volcano reaching almost 1,500 metres high. Located within Parc National de la Guadeloupe, La Soufrière is the highest point in the Lesser Antilles. Another highlight within the national park is Les Chutes du Carbet, a series of waterfalls that cascade down through La Soufrière’s forested slopes. In the northwest of the island, Grand Anse beach in Deshaies is picture perfect. A kilometre stretch of glorious sandy beach that sits between the vibrant ocean and lush rolling hills.
Cruises to Basse-Terre
Islands of the Caribbean • M2233
- Relax on white sandy Caribbean beaches
- In St Lucia tour to see the twin Pitons
- In Basseterre you can ride the St Kitts railway
Christmas in the Caribbean • M223334
- Spend Christmas Day relaxing in the Caribbean
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve in the Bahamas
- Explore culture-rich Havana in Cuba
Discover the Wildlife of Central America • M2303
- Seek out Sloths & tropical birds in Puerto Limon
- Explore marine life at Belize’s barrier reef
- Go in search of Hummingbirds in Roatan