Situated on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, and with one of the world’s finest natural ports, the Galician gem of Vigo has been an important part of Spain’s maritime industry for centuries. Boasting a wonderful historic quarter, modern marina and pretty centre, this city is alive with attractions.
The historic old quarter – like many of Vigo’s other attractions – is a great example of the influence the sea has had on the city.[ReadMoreMob] Located around the port, the Cidade Vella has narrow streets lined with old fishing houses and large markets selling locally caught seafood. The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria is a neoclassical cathedral built on the site of a grand gothic church that was burnt down by Francis Drake.
In the newer part of town, La Colegiata de la Santa Maria la Mayor is a fine 16th century church with an authentic Renaissance façade. The Pazo de Castrelos, dating from the 17th century, is home to the Quiñones de León Municipal Museum and contains a vast collection of paintings and artefacts that demand discovery. Elsewhere, the Castro de Vigo archaeological site has reconstructed ancient dwellings.
Vigo is a firm favourite with many visitors. Its mild climate, renowned estuary and golden beaches of the Rías Baixas, fine mariscada (seafood platter) cuisine and expansive culture all add up to something very special.
Nicknamed the ‘Fishing City,’ Vigo is one of the largest and most important fishing ports in all of Europe and is known for its freezing and canning industry. From the early morning arrival of the fishermen with their produce to be sold, through to the packing and canning process, the port is always busy with plenty to see.
Cruises to Vigo
Departs: Southampton • Wed 02 Jun 2021
13 nights • Braemar • M2113
- You’ll find plenty of opportunities for exciting and enriching exploration, with Braemar bringing you closer to the heart and highlights of fabulous French and Spanish cities.
- Dock in the heart of Seville, courtesy of your ship’s smaller size, and seek-out historic sites with ease, plus catch a traditional flamenco show during an overnight stay.
- Berth close to the attractions of La Coruna, Vigo and ancient Cádiz; and visit Nantes, gateway to the wine regions and vineyards of the Loire Valley.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sat 31 Jul 2021
14 nights • Bolette • T2120
- Three remote islands in the hard-to-reach Azores are yours to explore to discover inspirational experiences and sights galore on this exhilarating, simply unforgettable cruise adventure.
- Amongst glorious, verdant volcanic lands, you can see mighty Mount Pic; marvel at the mesmerising blue and bright-green crater lakes of the Sete Cidades Volcano; and much more.
- As well as incredible island discovery, visits to captivating Spanish and Portuguese cities provide a wealth of historical, architectural and cultural highlights to uncover.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Thu 02 Sep 2021
14 nights • Braemar • M2123
- Experience what makes cruising with Fred. Olsen so special, with unforgettable scenic cruising and cultural city discovery, made possible by Braemar’s smaller size.
- Sailing the Seine and Loire rivers presents views of the beautiful French countryside and charming communes, while plenty of highlights await ashore at Rouen and Nantes, gateway to the Loire Valley vineyards.
- The Guadalquivir River is your picture-perfect route into the heart of Seville, where fine architecture, abundant cultural delights and sultry flamenco dancing awaits.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Mon 18 Oct 2021
15 nights • Borealis • S2124
- Immerse yourself in the remarkable beauty and diversity of the spellbinding Azores, as small ship Borealis guides you on an incredible exploration of the region.
- Volcanic wonderlands await you on the islands of Terceira, Faial and São Miguel; discover towering mountain peaks, vast craters and lakes, verdant emerald green valleys and much more.
- There’s also a special visit to Portugal’s capital, to experience a memorable day of celebration and festivity at the ‘Four Ladies in Lisbon’ event.
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Mon 06 Dec 2021
11 nights • Balmoral • L2138
- Enjoy a pre-Christmas cruise with a twist, as you visit Portugal, Spain and Madeira – rather than popular tourist spots in Western and Central Europe – for a feast of fun and festivity.
- Feel a buzz of excitement amongst the Christmas markets, illuminations and decorations of four enchanting destinations. Funchal, Lisbon – Portugal’s capital – and Vigo are particular highlights.
- There’s time to discover other highlights too; you can take in Madeira’s lush landscapes and botanical gardens, immersive yourself in Lisbon’s local culture, and seek-out the maritime landmarks of La Coruña.
From £1,199ppFares Explained | What's Included