Situated on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, and with one of the world’s finest natural ports, the Galician gem of Vigo has been an important part of Spain’s maritime industry for centuries. Boasting a wonderful historic quarter, modern marina and pretty centre, this city is alive with attractions.
The historic old quarter – like many of Vigo’s other attractions – is a great example of the influence the sea has had on the city.[ReadMoreMob] Located around the port, the Cidade Vella has narrow streets lined with old fishing houses and large markets selling locally caught seafood. The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria is a neoclassical cathedral built on the site of a grand gothic church that was burnt down by Francis Drake.
In the newer part of town, La Colegiata de la Santa Maria la Mayor is a fine 16th century church with an authentic Renaissance façade. The Pazo de Castrelos, dating from the 17th century, is home to the Quiñones de León Municipal Museum and contains a vast collection of paintings and artefacts that demand discovery. Elsewhere, the Castro de Vigo archaeological site has reconstructed ancient dwellings.
Vigo is a firm favourite with many visitors. Its mild climate, renowned estuary and golden beaches of the Rías Baixas, fine mariscada (seafood platter) cuisine and expansive culture all add up to something very special.
Nicknamed the ‘Fishing City,’ Vigo is one of the largest and most important fishing ports in all of Europe and is known for its freezing and canning industry. From the early morning arrival of the fishermen with their produce to be sold, through to the packing and canning process, the port is always busy with plenty to see.
Cruises to Vigo
Departs: Southampton • Thu 24 Oct 2019
15 nights • Balmoral • L1928
- Featuring diverse destinations in five beautiful regions, this 15-night cruise offers an in-depth, authentic exploration of Spain. Traditional tapas and paella bars, architectural treasures, fascinating historical sites and range of cultural highlights; Balmoral will bring many attractions closer to you.
- On the gorgeous coast of Andalusia, you’ll visit Cádiz – for delicious tapas and tours to Jerez – and cultural-rich Malaga, home to Gibralfaro Castle and the Picasso Museum; while a call at Barcelona, the Catalan capital, offers a chance to marvel at the magnificent Sagrada Familia.
- Cartagena, rich in Roman heritage, awaits in the Murcia region; and in Galicia, you’ll call at charming Vigo and La Coruña, gateway to Santiago de Compostela. During your day in Valencia, the undisputed home of Paella, be sure to sample the city’s famous local delicacy at a traditional restaurant.
Adult Only Sailing
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Wed 19 Feb 2020
13 nights • Black Watch • W2005
- This very special Andalusian adventure has been perfectly timed to include a call into Cádiz during the ancient city’s spectacular annual carnival, a feast of colour, live music, comedy and much more that you won’t want to miss.
- With an overnight stay in Cádiz, you’ll have plenty of time to experience all the excitement, fun and festivity in the company of fellow guests and friendly locals – be sure to sample traditional tapas and uncover the city’s plethora of fascinating historical and architectural sites too.
- Elsewhere, visits to stunning Malaga – birthplace of Pablo Picasso – and ancient Almeria pack in plenty of authentic Andalusian experiences too, while Black Watch will also take you the gorgeous Galician city of Vigo and Lisbon, Portugal’s enchanting capital.
From £1,549ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Sat 28 Mar 2020
12 nights • Braemar • M2007
- For a wonderful start to the spring, Braemar will bring you closer to the highlights of enthralling Spanish and Portuguese destinations; historical landmarks, famous monuments, fantastic museums and much more are yours to uncover in four fantastic cities.
- Visit La Coruña for architectural gems such as Torre de Hercules and tours to Santiago de Compostela, charming Vigo and Avilés, with its traditional Asturian cider houses, in Spain; and in Portugal, enjoy an overnight stay in Lisbon, with time to pack in the highlights of the capital at your leisure.
- What’s more, in Madeira, you’ll also be part of the very special ‘Four Fred.’s in Funchal’ event. Dock alongside Boudicca, Balmoral and Black Watch and experience a memorable day of celebration shared with crew and fellow guests from all four ocean-going ships in the Fred. Olsen fleet.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sun 29 Mar 2020
19 nights • Boudicca • D2008
- The enchanting towns and volcanic sites of two captivating Cape Verde islands combine with the natural wonders of the Canaries, and Madeira’s beautifully floral landscapes, to present a plethora of diverse sights and experiences.
- Boudicca will guide you to São Vicente and Santiago Island in Cape Verde, for chances to explore colonial Mindelo, charming Praia and stunning volcanic landscapes; and to Tenerife, where you can visit the mysterious Pyramids of Güímar and Mount Teide, or relax at Playa de Las Americas.
- What’s more, in Madeira, you’ll also be part of the very special ‘Four Fred.’s in Funchal’ event. Dock alongside Braemar, Balmoral and Black Watch and experience a memorable day of celebration shared with crew and fellow guests from all four ocean-going ships in the Fred. Olsen fleet.
Adult Only Sailing
From £2,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sun 26 Apr 2020
22 nights • Boudicca • D2010
- An intoxicating blend of spectacular natural beauty, remarkable history and authentic cultural experiences is sure to sweet you off your feet on this unparalleled Italian exploration.
- Visit Naples and Civitavecchia, gateway to iconic sites such as Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius, the Colosseum; and have a chance to take in the Tuscan treasures of Pisa or Florence on tour from Livorno.
- In among time ashore in sun-drizzled Sorrento and Amalfi, you’ll witness the Amalfi Coast’s spectacular scenery first-hand; while Portofino and Genoa showcase the delights of the Italian Riviera.
From £2,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Sun 07 Jun 2020
10 nights • Black Watch • W2016
- Indulge in an authentic taste of Portugal, with chances to sample the country’s famous food and drink, delve into rich maritime history and immerse yourself in unique cultural experiences.
- You’ll enjoy two days in Lisbon, carefully-planned to allow time to seek-out the capital’s maritime monuments, visit the famous Pasteis de Belém, and even enjoy the annual St Anthony’s Day celebrations.
- On the sun-kissed Algarve coast, you’ll enjoy a relaxing day in carefree Portimão; while a visit to Leixoes presents an opportunity to visit nearby Oporto, famed for its historic centre and port wines.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Wed 09 Sep 2020
13 nights • Braemar • M2024
- With Braemar able to dock closer to the heart of each destination, you can explore some of Spain and France’s finest cities, including beautiful Bordeaux and stylish Seville, with ease on this rewarding cruise.
- Step ashore in Seville for a feast of Moorish architecture, iconic landmarks and sultry flamenco, and in Bordeaux, explore the UNESCO-listed historic centre or perhaps tour to the famous Medoc vineyards.
- Your five days on Spanish shores also includes time in the authentic cities of La Coruna, gateway to Santiago de Compostela; Vigo; and ancient Cadiz, where fascinating history and tempting tapas await.
From £1,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 08 Dec 2020
14 nights • Black Watch • W2032
- Escape to Portugal, the Canaries and Madeira for a relaxing and rewarding pre-Christmas getaway filled with the sun, sea, sand and sights of breathtaking islands and attraction-packed cities.
- An overnight stay in Funchal is an undoubted highlight, affording an opportunity to explore lush landscapes and botanical gardens before watching for the darting lights of magical Geminid Meteor Showers at night.
- In the Canaries, there’s time to discover the volcanic wonders of Tenerife and Lanzarote; while on the Portuguese coast, Lisbon and Oporto await with their iconic landmarks, riverscapes and traditional flavours.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included