Situated on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, and with one of the world’s finest natural ports, the Galician gem of Vigo has been an important part of Spain’s maritime industry for centuries. Boasting a wonderful historic quarter, modern marina and pretty centre, this city is alive with attractions.
The historic old quarter – like many of Vigo’s other attractions – is a great example of the influence the sea has had on the city.[ReadMoreMob] Located around the port, the Cidade Vella has narrow streets lined with old fishing houses and large markets selling locally caught seafood. The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria is a neoclassical cathedral built on the site of a grand gothic church that was burnt down by Francis Drake.
In the newer part of town, La Colegiata de la Santa Maria la Mayor is a fine 16th century church with an authentic Renaissance façade. The Pazo de Castrelos, dating from the 17th century, is home to the Quiñones de León Municipal Museum and contains a vast collection of paintings and artefacts that demand discovery. Elsewhere, the Castro de Vigo archaeological site has reconstructed ancient dwellings.
Vigo is a firm favourite with many visitors. Its mild climate, renowned estuary and golden beaches of the Rías Baixas, fine mariscada (seafood platter) cuisine and expansive culture all add up to something very special.
Nicknamed the ‘Fishing City,’ Vigo is one of the largest and most important fishing ports in all of Europe and is known for its freezing and canning industry. From the early morning arrival of the fishermen with their produce to be sold, through to the packing and canning process, the port is always busy with plenty to see.
Cruises to Vigo
Discover the Amalfi Coast • T2216
- Explore scenic Amalfi & Sorrento
- Visit the islands of Capri, Corsica & Menorca
- Tour to pretty Positano & Bonafacio
Festive Spain & Portugal • L2233
- Admire the festive light displays of Vigo
- Browse Funchal’s Christmas market
- Dock within one mile of each city centre
Festive Spanish City Break • S2232
- Visit the Roman walled city of Lugo
- Explore the Guggenheim museum from Getxo
- See the UNESCO-listed Tower of Hercules in La Coruna
Experience the Traditions of Spain & Portugal • L2316
- Experience an in-depth discovery of quintessentially Spanish and Portuguese traditions
- Make Pasteis de Nata in Lisbon; learn about Malaga’s local olive oil; and dance Flamenco in Cádiz
- Take in an abundance of historical and cultural highlights in each city you visit