On the ‘Japanese Riviera’ – a gorgeous stretch along the northeast coast of Kyushu Island – lies Beppu, one of Asia’s most famous hot spring resorts. Sat between a beautiful, beach-laden bay and imposing volcanic mountains, Beppu is home to more than 2,000 onsen hot springs that bathe the city’s streets and fill the air with warm, volcanic steam, a phenomena that is particularly visible during the colder winter months.
There are hundreds of baths to enjoy here, including hot water baths, mud baths, hot sand baths and steam baths, as well as spectacular springs for viewing only. The ‘Hells of Beppu’, which include the cobalt blue springs of Umi Jigoku (Sea Hell) and the blood-red Chi-no-ike Jigoku (Blood Hell), provide incredible views and simply unmissable photo opportunities.
Even the local cuisine is influenced by Beppu’s remarkable natural wonders, and no visit to the city is complete without learning of, and sampling, onsen food. Ingredients such as eggs, seafood, pork and various kinds of vegetables are cooked using the natural heat of the boiling springs, a process that is renowned for producing fresh flavoured, healthy dishes.
Departs: Southampton • Thu 05 Nov 2020
140 nights • Boudicca • D20GV
- A holiday beyond your wildest dreams, this 140-night voyage to some of the world’s most iconic and intoxicating destinations offers authentic cultures and traditions, amazing wildlife, spectacular scenery and much more.
- Experience an exhilarating Asian exploration, to learn of samurais and geishas in Japan; explore the war-torn history of Vietnam; sample India’s engrossing hustle and bustle; and even celebrate New Year’s Eve in stunning Singapore.
- African adventures include chances to seek-out South Africa’s ‘Big Five’ game and Madagascar’s iconic flora and fauna; explore the colossal Namib Desert; marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza; and sail the impressive Suez Canal.
From £13,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Victoria • Thu 17 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D203001
- Experience an unforgettable festive season and start to 2021 on an epic exploration of the Far East filled with the scenic and spiritual wonders, authentic cultures and traditions of one of the world’s most intoxicating regions.
- Enjoy Christmas on board Boudicca; be enthralled by culture-rich Georgetown and iconic Kuala Lumpur; and celebrate New Year’s Eve in Singapore, with time to visit Gardens by the Bay and Raffles Hotel too.
- An enlightening Japanese exploration includes opportunities to encounter Geishas in Tokyo; be part of a classical tea ceremony in Osaka; look beyond the infamous war history of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; and much more.
From £8,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Tokyo • Thu 14 Jan 2021
28 nights • Boudicca • D210102
- This inspirational voyage presents an unmissable taste of the Far East’s fascinating way of life, authentic cultures, time-honoured traditions and indomitable diversity and beauty.
- An exploration of Japan includes opportunities to encounter Geishas in Tokyo; be part of a classical tea ceremony in Osaka; look beyond Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s infamous war history; and much more.
- Vietnamese highlights await in between visits to Hong Kong and Singapore, including chances to explore mesmerising Ha Long Bay on a boat tour and uncover Ho Chi Ming City’s fascinating war tales.
From £5,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Tokyo • Thu 14 Jan 2021
14 nights • Boudicca • D2101
- On an enlightening and enriching journey around Japan’s beautiful islands, you can experience the authentic cultures, traditions and spirituality of one of the world’s most intoxicating countries.
- Be captivated by traditional Geisha dancing in Tokyo, or connect with the origins of the Samurai on tour to Kamakura; uncover the shrines and temples of Nagoya; and be part of a classic tea ceremony in Osaka.
- Sample Japanese cuisine, such as sake and sushi; look beyond the infamous war history of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to see stunning shrines, pagodas and scenic landscapes; and relax in Beppu’s famous hot springs.
From £3,599ppFares Explained | What's Included