The Spanish city of Avilés in the north-western province of Asturias, is steeped in history and architectural gems just waiting to be discovered. A former maritime and farming town, the scenic city of Avilés is now one of the country’s most important industrial centres.
The city centre remains stylish and easy to navigate, with plenty of high street stores, pretty cafes and a number of museums and galleries to visit, while the Old Town quarter is Aviles’ finest feature.[ReadMoreMob]
Largely pedestrianised, the Old Town consists of several historic squares and plazas, interlinked by a series of pretty boulevards from centuries past. The collection of stunning historic buildings includes the Camposagrado Palace, the Palacio de Valdecarzana – Avilés’ sole example of civil medieval architecture – plus a number of outstanding Gothic churches such as San Nicolás and San Francisco.
Traditional Asturias Cider
Cider is the traditional drink of Asturias and has been produced here using locally grown apples since ancient times. For an authentic experience, head to a sideria (cider house) where you can enjoy a tasting and see the unique way that it’s poured.
Oscar Niemeyer Centre
This ultra-modern cultural centre, designed by Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer, hosts a broad programme of exhibitions, concerts, plays and more. Its clean, white exterior, accented with red and yellow, can be seen from several sites across the city.
Cruises to Avilés
Departs: Southampton • Thu 20 May 2021
8 nights • Braemar • M2111
- A medley of rewards awaits you, from fine wine and culinary delights to diverse architecture and art, as Braemar takes you closer to the highlights of four culture-rich cities in Spain & France.
- You’ll sail the gorgeous Gironde and Garonne rivers straight into Bordeaux, where you can explore the city’s UNESCO-listed centre and sample world-famous wine culture from the moment you step ashore.
- In Spain, visit Santander, gateway to many of Cantabria’s treasures; Avilés, for contrasting architectural gems and delicious Asturian cider; and La Coruña, the jewel in Galicia’s crown.
From £1,149ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Fri 20 Aug 2021
8 nights • Braemar • M2121
- With each destination selected for its links to famous food and drink, and their many cultural highlights, you’re in for an authentic taste of France and Spain.
- Braemar docks in the centre of Nantes, gateway to famous French vineyards sprawled across the gorgeous countryside of the Loire Valley.
- Elsewhere in France, sweet Calvados and Pommeau will tempt in Honfleur; while in Spain, Getxo and Avilés offer traditional Basque tapas, Rioja wines and sweet Asturian cider.
From £1,199ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Thu 30 Sep 2021
27 nights • Braemar • M2125
- Immerse yourself in an unforgettable discovery of iconic sites and authentic experiences, as smaller-sized Braemar takes you closer to the highlights of incredible cities in Croatia and Italy.
- Capture Venetian magic; sample Sicily’s famous Marsala wines; marvel at magnificent Mount Etna and Stromboli; and delight in typically Croatian history and scenery along the glorious Adriatic coast.
- What’s more, there’s also a special visit to Portugal, to experience a memorable day of celebration and festivity at the ‘Four Ladies in Lisbon’ event.
From £3,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Fri 05 Nov 2021
13 nights • Braemar • M2127
- Fully immerse yourself Andalusia’s rich culture, history and traditions, as small ship Braemar brings you closer to the heart and highlights of four captivating cities.
- You’ll dock within easy reach of the centre of each destination, including Seville, where you can seek-out historic gems, taste authentic tapas and even try your hand at sultry Flamenco dancing.
- Enjoy chances to explore charming Old Town Cádiz; revel in the aesthetic and artistic delights of Malaga; plus, unravel the maritime history of Lisbon.
From £1,399ppFares Explained | What's Included