With over 2,000 years of history, Germany is a country that fills the soul. Dramatic scenery and rousing culture gives way to handsome metropolises and romantic palaces. It is a landscape of forests, rivers, Bavarian mountain ranges and North Sea beaches, and at its heart is the cutting-edge capital, Berlin. [ReadMoreMob]
Germany’s personality lives in its big cities. Berlin, home to dramatic history, art and a fabulous nightlife scene; the Oktoberfest of Munich and Frankfurt’s skyscrapers; the Christmas markets and canals of the ‘Venice of the North’, Hamburg; Bremen’s mix of Hanseatic splendour and hi-tech wonder; and the Gothic lure of Rostock.
From Jasmund National Park to the fairy tale castles of the Rhine, Germany has something around every turn. Its cultural spectrum is beyond comparison: imposing art museums and high-brow opera sit comfortably next to risqué cabaret and enigmatic underground clubs. [ReadMoreDesk]
Beyond the cliché of sausage and bratwurst, Germany’s modern gastronomy has moved on. Regional and seasonal food sensations include white asparagus in springtime and venison in autumn. The much underrated Riesling is just one world-class German wine that is favoured above the ubiquitous beer.
Bremen Gothic Architecture
You cannot leave Bremen without a visit to the Marktplatz – a hive of activity and an absolute must-see. Bremen's historic Market Place is home to the Town Hall, a beautiful gothic structure originally built between 1405 and 1410; the Roland Statue; the cathedral; and many other impressive sights. In 2004, these features were recognised by UNESCO and the Marktplatz was awarded World Heritage status.
The Schnoor Quarter is Bremen's oldest district and features charming, narrow lanes lined with beautiful centuries-old timber houses. A wander through Schnoor allows you to delight in the picturesque scenes, and also learn about the the local arts and crafts. It's also the perfect place to buy gifts and souvenirs, such as handmade gold jewellery, to take home.
Uncover Hamburg's wartime history
Before the war, Hamburg had the largest Jewish community in Germany, which suffered a devastating fate under the Nazi regime. An art project of commemorative cobblestones (Stolpersteine) honours the victims, while buildings preserved from the concentration camp at Neuengamme serve as a memorial.
World’s largest model railway
Miniature Wonderland is a fun and fascinating attraction featuring theme worlds designed on a tiny scale, with over 1,000 trains, 260,000 figures and 4,110 buildings. Along with a miniature version of Hamburg, you can admire the Austrian Alps, the canals of Venice, the city lights of Venice and more.
Cruises to Germany
Departs: Dover • Sun 22 Mar 2020
7 nights • Boudicca • D2007
- Five days of this seven-night cruise will be filled with unforgettable sights and experiences, both during hours of scenic river and canal cruising on board smaller-sized Boudicca and during time spent ashore exploring charming cities and seaside resorts.
- Enjoy memorable journeys along the size-restricted Kiel Canal en route to and from Warnemünde, where you’ll have a day to uncover the city’s white sand beaches and historic sites, or even tour Berlin.
- The River Elbe is your route into Hamburg, a city showcasing a mix stunning Hanseatic architecture and contemporary attractions; while a cruise along the Weser River will lead you into Bremen, renowned for its impressive Gothic-style structures and medieval Schnoor district.
From £699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Mon 01 Jun 2020
13 nights • Braemar • M2014
- Visiting five diverse cities in five different countries aboard Braemar, including three magnificent Baltic capitals, you’ll experience cultural discovery at its finest on this enriching 13-night adventure.
- You can delight in Copenhagen’s palaces, monuments and beautiful waterfront; indulge in an authentic Finnish sauna experience in Helsinki; and delve into Tallinn’s fairytale-esque Old Town.
- Elsewhere, savour world-famous sights and an unforgettable night at the Russian ballet in St Petersburg; and in Germany, visit charming Travemünde before sailing the size-restricted Kiel Canal.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Wed 03 Jun 2020
8 nights • Boudicca • D2013
- Reap the rewards of Boudicca’s smaller dimensions on this eight-night cruise, with chances to revel in the gorgeous countryside scenery of Germany’s size-restricted Kiel Canal and beautiful Elbe River.
- During six rewarding days of German discovery you can delve into Lübeck’s fascinating history and take in Berlin’s iconic landmarks, on tours from Travemünde and Warnemünde respectively, too.
- There’s also a full-day to explore Hamburg, with its diverse attractions including the magnificent Rathaus and the Miniatur Wunderland; and a visit to Bremen, boasting a medley of architectural gems.
From £1,199ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Thu 17 Sep 2020
7 nights • Balmoral • L2024
- A classic cruise combining scenic cruising through gorgeous countryside and visits to attraction-packed destinations, this highly rewarding week away shows you Germany at its finest.
- You’ll bypass coastal Bremerhaven and sail by the pretty fields and valleys of the River Weser to Bremen, where the gothic-style Marktplatz and medieval Schnoor district are among many highlights.
- Hamburg, rich in historical and contemporary delights, awaits after sailing the winding Elbe River too; while there’s also a visit to Warnemünde and an unforgettable full-day transit of the Kiel Canal.
From £949ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Tue 01 Dec 2020
8 nights • Balmoral • L2030
- As the festive season begins, start your celebrations in style with a cruise to four enticing cities In Germany, Belgium, Norway and Denmark that really come to life at the ‘most wonderful time of the year’.
- At every destination, you’ll have ample time to immerse yourself in the seasonal splendour, spicy scents and cosy atmosphere of magical Christmas markets, including Hamburg’s famous Roncalli Market.
- You could pick up gifts from Bruges’ authentic Belgian chocolate shops; visit Oslo’s National Gallery; stop-by Copenhagen’s legendary Tivoli Gardens; and enjoy a memorable winter stroll along the River Elbe in Hamburg too.
From £949ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sat 17 Apr 2021
7 nights • Boudicca • D2108
- Cruising picturesque German waterways is always deeply rewarding, though you’re in for an even more memorable experience with journeys through the countryside scenes of size-restricted routes.
- Aboard Boudicca, you’ll sail the narrow Kiel Canal and winding River Elbe en route to Hamburg, where an impressive mix of historical and contemporary attractions awaits your discovery.
- There’s also visits to the seaside resort of Warnemünde, gateway to the historic Hanseatic city of Rostock, and Bremen, a delight to explore with its diverse districts and architectural gems.
From £899ppFares Explained | What's Included