With over 2,000 years of history, Germany is a country that fills the soul. Dramatic scenery and rousing culture gives way to handsome metropolises and romantic palaces. It is a landscape of forests, rivers, Bavarian mountain ranges and North Sea beaches, and at its heart is the cutting-edge capital, Berlin. [ReadMoreMob]
Germany’s personality lives in its big cities. Berlin, home to dramatic history, art and a fabulous nightlife scene; the Oktoberfest of Munich and Frankfurt’s skyscrapers; the Christmas markets and canals of the ‘Venice of the North’, Hamburg; Bremen’s mix of Hanseatic splendour and hi-tech wonder; and the Gothic lure of Rostock.
From Jasmund National Park to the fairy tale castles of the Rhine, Germany has something around every turn. Its cultural spectrum is beyond comparison: imposing art museums and high-brow opera sit comfortably next to risqué cabaret and enigmatic underground clubs. [ReadMoreDesk]
Beyond the cliché of sausage and bratwurst, Germany’s modern gastronomy has moved on. Regional and seasonal food sensations include white asparagus in springtime and venison in autumn. The much underrated Riesling is just one world-class German wine that is favoured above the ubiquitous beer.
Bremen Gothic Architecture
You cannot leave Bremen without a visit to the Marktplatz – a hive of activity and an absolute must-see. Bremen's historic Market Place is home to the Town Hall, a beautiful gothic structure originally built between 1405 and 1410; the Roland Statue; the cathedral; and many other impressive sights. In 2004, these features were recognised by UNESCO and the Marktplatz was awarded World Heritage status.
The Schnoor Quarter is Bremen's oldest district and features charming, narrow lanes lined with beautiful centuries-old timber houses. A wander through Schnoor allows you to delight in the picturesque scenes, and also learn about the the local arts and crafts. It's also the perfect place to buy gifts and souvenirs, such as handmade gold jewellery, to take home.
Uncover Hamburg's wartime history
Before the war, Hamburg had the largest Jewish community in Germany, which suffered a devastating fate under the Nazi regime. An art project of commemorative cobblestones (Stolpersteine) honours the victims, while buildings preserved from the concentration camp at Neuengamme serve as a memorial.
World’s largest model railway
Miniature Wonderland is a fun and fascinating attraction featuring theme worlds designed on a tiny scale, with over 1,000 trains, 260,000 figures and 4,110 buildings. Along with a miniature version of Hamburg, you can admire the Austrian Alps, the canals of Venice, the city lights of Venice and more.
Cruises to Germany
Western Europe City Break • T2204BSave to favourites
- Visits to three cities for springtime sightseeing
- Take a boat tour of Amsterdam’s iconic canals
- Taste authentic Belgian chocolate and beer in Antwerp
Revisiting Prussia • M2223Save to favourites
- Experience an immersive delve into centuries of Prussia’s history
- See Kaliningrad’s surviving city gates
- In Germany, tour from Travemunde to take in the imposing gates
- NB: This cruise will be sailing on board Balmoral
European Christmas Markets • L2232Save to favourites
- Enjoy the festive illuminations at Tivoli
- Browse the markets in Hamburg and Gothenburg
- Tour to Bruges or Brussels from Zeebrugge
Explore Western Europe Cities & Rivers • S2231Save to favourites
- Visit Christmas Markets in Hamburg
- Sample wine, calvados & camembert in Honfleur
- Explore the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam
Cities of Germany via the Kiel Canal • L2307Save to favourites
- Discover the maritime history of Kiel, gateway to Berlin
- Enjoy beautiful German countryside as you cruise along the Kiel Canal
- Visit the Rathaus when in Hamburg
Explore the Baltic with St Petersburg • T2312Save to favourites
- Discover the fairytale-esque Old Town in Tallinn
- Explore St. Petersburg fully with an overnight stay
- Wander along the beach in the German seaside town of Warnemunde
Exploring Baltic Capitals with St Petersburg • L2311Save to favourites
- Visit the magnificent Peterhof Palace in St. Petersburg
- Wander the historic Gamla Stan District of Copenhagen
- Enjoy scenic cruising on the Kiel Canal