Brisbane, the sophisticated capital city of Queensland on Australia’s east coast, is one of the world's fastest developing cities. With its harmonious mix of elegant colonial sandstone structures and modern glass skyscrapers, this friendly, welcoming city has a laid back, vibrant atmosphere.
Art and outdoor adventure are always on the agenda; the South Bank's cultural institutions and restaurants combine with riverside gardens and a lagoon. [ReadMoreMob] Take the paddle steamer or ferry down the Brisbane River, or bike ride through the City Botanic Gardens. A day trip to Moreton Island, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast hinterland are regular favourites, while, for the more adventurous, Kangaroo Point cliffs offer abseiling.
A more sedate day can be spent exploring the city’s numerous walks, reserves and barbecue hotspots. Australia Zoo – owned by the family of the late Steve Irwin – and the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, are home to various native Australian animals.
The Gold Coast
Some 41 miles south of Brisbane city, the glorious Gold Coast region is known the world over for its long sandy beaches. One of the most renowned seaside resorts is the lively Surfer's Paradise, which at peak times attracts around 20,000 visitors a day.
Follow in the footsteps of Steve Irwin
One of Australia’s most famous sites, Australia Zoo features over 1,200 animals and daily shows. Founded by the late Steve Irwin, the zoo is home to native mammals such as Tasmanian devils and wombats. The Irwin family ensure that his legacy lives on today.
Enjoy an unforgettable day in Byron Bay
A coastal town in the north of New South Wales, Byron Bay has become one of Australia's most popular destinations due to its combination of culture and natural beauty. Within the hinterland is the sacred Crystal Castle and Shambhala Gardens.
Cruises to Brisbane
Departs: Benoa • Wed 11 Dec 2019
28 nights • Boudicca • D1929
- An abundance of Australian icons await you on this unforgettable exploration of the land ‘Down Under’, with visits to coastal towns, cities and islands of three sides of Australia offering famous wildlife, natural wonders, quintessential beaches and landmarks.
- Highlights include Broome’s beautiful Cable Beach; historic Albany, where Australia’s first European settlers landed; Kangaroo Island, home to wild kangaroos, wallabies and koalas; an overnight stay in Melbourne, the ‘World’s Most Liveable City’; and scenic cruising of the breathtaking Great Barrier Reef.
- Visiting Sydney on New Year’s Eve will be simply unforgettable, with a chance to experience all the excitement of legendary festive celebrations, including the city’s spectacular fireworks display. An extended stay allows time to discover iconic sites, such as the Opera House and Bondi Beach, too.
From £2,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Benoa • Thu 12 Dec 2019
42 nights • Boudicca • D192901
- Explore three sides of the land ‘Down Under’ to discover Australian icons including native wildlife, world-famous landmarks and even legendary New Year’s Eve celebrations before heading to Papua New Guinea and Indonesia for feast of history, culture and spectacular natural beauty.
- In Australia, you’ll visit beautiful Broome, Fremantle – for tours to Perth – and historic Albany on the west coast; sail the south coast, stopping at Kangaroo Island, Melbourne and Hobart; and on the east coast, visit Sydney on New Year’s Eve and marvel at the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef.
- Calls at Alotau, Wewak and Madang present opportunities to immerse yourself in Papua New Guinea’s authentic tribal culture and fascinating war-influenced history; while in Indonesia, magical islands await, including Komodo Island – home to the world’s largest lizard – and idyllic Bali.
From £4,199ppFares Explained | What's Included