Sitting at the end of the world's longest fjord, Skjolden is considered one of the world's most breath-taking destinations, overlooked by soaring mountains and dramatic cliffs. Beautiful Skjolden is perfectly placed as a gateway to the Jotunheimen Mountains and Jostedalsbreen, mainland Europe's largest glacier.
Skjolden offers a slice of genuine Norwegian hospitality and nature beyond imagination; it is also home of Urnes Stave Church, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Feigum Waterfalls – the most spectacular in Norway, are equally unmissable.
Ludwig Wittgenstein lived and worked in Skjolden in the early 20th century. Considered by some to be the greatest philosopher of his era, Wittgenstein continues to influence western thinking in logic and language, ethics and religion, and he wrote many of his most influential works when he stayed here.
Cruises to Skjolden
Spellbinding Fjords of Norway • L2127
- See Norway at its most iconic and awe-inspiring
- Marvel at postcard-perfect scenes of lush valleys
- Discover astounding natural beauty ashore
Spellbinding Fjords of Norway • S2118
- Be captivated by the breathtaking beauty of Norway’s fjordland
- See Mother Nature’s work at its most spectacular
- Discover sights and attractions of highlight destinations
Norway's Mountains & Scenic Fjords • L2220
- Sail through size-restricted Fjærlandsfjorden
- Uncover Norwegian folklore in Jotunheimen from Skjolden
- Ride the Rauma Railway through fjordland scenery
Hidden Gems of the Norwegian Fjords • M2220
- Discover the fjordland's hidden gems
- Visit the 'home of the giants' and 'Troll Wall'
- See natural wonders ashore and on Braemar