Sitting at the end of the world's longest fjord, Skjolden is considered one of the world's most breath-taking destinations, overlooked by soaring mountains and dramatic cliffs. Beautiful Skjolden is perfectly placed as a gateway to the Jotunheimen Mountains and Jostedalsbreen, mainland Europe's largest glacier.
Skjolden offers a slice of genuine Norwegian hospitality and nature beyond imagination; it is also home of Urnes Stave Church, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Feigum Waterfalls – the most spectacular in Norway, are equally unmissable.
Ludwig Wittgenstein lived and worked in Skjolden in the early 20th century. Considered by some to be the greatest philosopher of his era, Wittgenstein continues to influence western thinking in logic and language, ethics and religion, and he wrote many of his most influential works when he stayed here.
Cruises to Skjolden
Departs: Newcastle • Sat 17 Apr 2021
7 nights • Balmoral • L2110
- Savour spectacular spring highlights from start to finish on this special seven-night voyage, perfectly timed to capture the fjordland’s sensational seasonal scenery at its most breathtaking.
- Departing from Newcastle, Balmoral will soon bring you closer to Norwegian wonders, including the intriguing rock formations and cliffs of Lysefjord and the tumbling waterfalls of Maurangerfjord.
- Time ashore will provide plenty of highlights too – you can ride the famous Funicular Railway in Bergen respectively; seek-out the Briksdal Glacier from Olden; and much more.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Wed 02 Jun 2021
7 nights • Balmoral • L2117
- See Norway at its most iconic and awe-inspiring, on a scenic seven-night adventure encompassing some of the fjord’s greatest sights and highlights.
- Marvel at postcard-perfect scenes of lush valleys, soaring cliffs and alpine peaks in Nordfjord and Innvikfjord; and be astounded by the views on offer within Lustrafjord and Romsdalfjord.
- Discover astounding natural wonders ashore, from jaw-dropping mountain ranges and glorious glaciers; and delve into rich Norwegian history and culture in Bergen.
From £1,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Wed 14 Jul 2021
7 nights • Balmoral • L2121
- Lose yourself in the dramatic scenery, eerie silence and sheer magnificence of spectacular waterways, as Balmoral sails stunning, size-restricted routes deep into Norway’s fjordland.
- Be charmed by the countryside scenes of Langfjorden and Eresfjorden; and marvel at the astonishing natural wonders of Lysefjord – only accessible to smaller ships.
- Step ashore in Olden, Skjolden, Andalsnes and Bergen, for chances to see breathtaking waterfalls and glaciers up close, ride world-famous scenic railways and enjoy a taste of Norwegian history too.
From £1,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Sat 31 Jul 2021
5 nights • Balmoral • L2123
- Experience a short, yet unforgettable exploration of the beautiful fjordland in just five nights, thanks to Rosyth’s convenient closer proximity to Norway.
- From the decks of Balmoral, immerse yourself in the postcard-perfect beauty of Lustrafjord and Fjaerlandsfjorden.
- Step ashore in Skjolden and Ålesund, for chances to ride the Rauma scenic railway; see the Sunnmøre Alps from Mount Aksla; explore the spellbinding Jostedalen Valley; and much more.
From £799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Fri 06 Aug 2021
8 nights • Borealis • S2118
- Be captivated by the breathtaking beauty and enchanting delights of Norway’s fjordland, from on board Borealis and during time ashore.
- See Mother Nature’s work at its most spectacular, from the towering mountains and idyllic valleys of Sognefjord, Lustrafjord and Nordfjord, to the magnificent, imposing Hornelen Sea Cliff.
- Discover incredible sights and attractions from a trio of highlight destinations – there’s Olden and Skjolden, gateways to awe-inspiring glaciers; and Flåm, for ride on the magnificent Flåmsbana Railway.
From £1,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Newcastle • Sun 29 Aug 2021
6 nights • Balmoral • L2127
- See Norway at its most iconic and awe-inspiring, on a scenic six-night adventure encompassing some of the fjord’s greatest sights and highlights.
- Marvel at postcard-perfect scenes of lush valleys, soaring cliffs and alpine peaks in Nordfjordand and Innvikfjorden, Fjærlandsfjorden and Storfjord, and see the Hornelen sea cliff from
- Discover astounding natural beauty ashore, from jaw-dropping landscapes seen from the staggering Loen Skylift to the glorious Briksdal and Nigardsbreen glaciers.
From £949ppFares Explained | What's Included