Guest Conduct Policy
This Guest Conduct Policy is incorporated into our contract with you and is intended to provide guidance on the standard of behaviour that we require from our guests, beyond those requirements set out in our standard terms and conditions, and to ensure that all guests enjoy their cruise experience. Wherever this policy is held to conflict with our Passenger Terms and Conditions, the Passenger Terms and Conditions shall take precedence.
Whether you are transferring to and from ships, are inside the terminal, on a shore tour, or on board one of our ships, you are required to abide by this policy. It is not intended to be all-inclusive and it is possible that not all issues are specifically addressed. Guests are always expected to follow the direction of the ship’s Captain, who will take the necessary action to ensure the safety, security and well-being of our guests.
Safety & Security
- Safety and security is everyone’s responsibility. Should anyone become aware of unsafe or possibly illegal behaviour during their cruise, they should immediately report this to the Ship’s Security or Guest Services desk.
Guest and crew interaction
- Our crew members are friendly, outgoing and helpful, and they will do their very best. Please do not misinterpret their friendliness. Guests are not permitted in any restricted or crew area of the ship, including crew cabins and corridors.
Verbally abusive or offensive language
- Verbally abusive or offensive language directed towards anyone, including guests, crew and government officials is not permitted.
Inappropriate or abusive behaviour
- Inappropriate or abusive behavior including uninvited physical contact, solicitation, harassment, vandalism, theft, violence, underage drinking (see alcohol section below), providing alcohol to those under the allowed age (see alcohol section below), possession of illegal substances/items or any other illegal or offensive conduct is not permitted.
- This includes, but is not limited to, sitting, standing, lying or climbing on, over or across any exterior or interior railings or other protective barriers, or tampering with ship’s equipment, facilities or systems designed for guest safety and is not permitted. Guests may not enter or access any area that is restricted and/or for the use of crew members only. Any other unsafe behavior, including failure to follow security instructions, is not permitted.
Discourteous or disruptive behaviour
- Pool, public area and deck chairs/sun loungers may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted among our female guests.
- Olsen Cruise Lines now operate a strict ‘no- smoking’ policy in all inside areas. Smoking will only be permitted on cabin balconies and on designated open deck areas. Electronic cigarettes that do not emit a vapour may be used in cabins or on cabin balconies but are not permitted in any non-smoking public area. They can easily be mistaken for real cigarettes and result in potential confrontation, necessitating staff intervention. Electronic cigarettes emitting any vapour, even if only a water vapour, may only be smoked in designated external smoking areas.
- Ship’s management reserves the right to enact and enforce curfews on an individual, group, or ship-wide basis, if in the sole judgment of the ship’s Captain, such steps become necessary to ensure guest or crew safety.
Parental and Guardian responsibility
- For the purposes of this policy, a child is defined as anyone under the age of 18. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behaviour and appropriate supervision of any children under their guardianship throughout their holiday. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call and during shore tours. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in the company of their children. Parents or guardians must not permit any child to leave the ship without responsible adult supervision.
- Guests are expected to be responsible for their actions at all times, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, and during shore tours. Guests who choose to consume alcohol must do so responsibly. Consuming alcohol to excess impairs one’s judgment and reduces one’s ability to recognise and avoid potentially dangerous situations. The ship’s staff have a responsibility to other guests to ensure that all guests drink responsibly while on board, and may refuse to serve alcoholic beverages to any guest at any time. Any guest that violates this alcohol policy will be considered for disciplinary action pursuant to the “Consequences Section” of this Guest Conduct Policy.
Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard (except where agreed and a wine & a corkage fee charged) and Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines reserves the right to inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) at any time. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased as duty free onboard or in ports-of-call (which must be presented to security upon re-boarding), will be held until the last night of the cruise.
Items with heating elements or open flames
- Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed but may require a converter. Butane powered devices such as hair straighteners and tongs are permitted
Drugs or other illegal substances
- No illegal drugs or other illegal substances are allowed onboard, and their use is strictly prohibited during your holiday, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals and during shore tours. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken, which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities.
Weapons, explosives or other dangerous items
- No weapon (including Skiandu’s with a blade of more than 7cm), explosive, or other item that, in the reasonable opinion of the crew, presents a risk of harm to persons or property are permitted onboard. Such items will be confiscated by Port Authorities or Ship’s Security and appropriate action taken.
Items containing incapacitating substances
- This includes gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and any other item that contains other dangerous chemicals.
- Any piece of radio equipment that transmits and has a power output in excess of 5 watts.
Health & Environment
Well being at sea
- Owning to the social environment of a cruise ship, with many shared facilities, exemplary personal hygiene is vital to minimise the spread of any common virus, such as norovirus and influenza being inadvertently brought on board by any person. It is essential that you undertake frequent and rigorous hand washing whilst on board. This is the most effective way to remove virus particles and ensure you and your fellow guests have a most enjoyable cruise. As an additional hygiene measure, please use the hand sanitiser when embarking the vessel, entering restaurants and other areas on board.
Illness and isolation of guests
- In the event you experience symptoms that indicate a gastrointestinal illness, such as diarrhea or vomiting, or know of someone experiencing these symptoms, you must advise the medical centre As the best means of preventing the illness spreading and for effective treatment, it is the strict policy of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines that any patient is required to remain within their cabin for a 24-hour period after their symptoms subside, or until such time as deemed appropriate by the ship’s doctor. Failure to immediately report a contagious illness to the ship’s medical staff, or to accurately describe its onset, greatly increases the likelihood that the illness will spread to others and is a violation of this Guest Conduct Policy. In the event of a contagious illness, the ship’s crew will take steps to curtail its spread to other guests, including if necessary, steps set forth in the Consequences Section of this policy.
|Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs, Steam Room and Saunas||Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or hot tubs. Nappies or pull-ups may not be used in the pools or hot tubs, even if accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.|
|Consuming Alcohol||Aged 18 and Over|
|Casino ****||Aged 18 and Over|
Failure to act in accordance with this policy may result in:
- Intervention by security, or onboard management
- Removal of certain onboard privileges
- Guests being placed in quarantine or required to remain in their cabins
- Confiscation of illegal/contraband/prohibited items, which may be handed over to the authorities and used in any prosecution
- Refusal of boarding on any current or future booked cruises
- Reporting of incidents to government and police
- Removal of the guests from the ship at the next port-of-call.