River Cruises on the Main
European River Cruises
Much more than just a tributary of the River Rhine, the magnificent Main is among the most beautiful and interesting rivers in Europe. A picturebook of glorious lush-green forests, rolling vineyard-smothered valleys, dramatic mountain peaks and landmark-laden medieval towns and impressive cities unfold along this peaceful and picturesque, 330-mile long route through the heartlands of Germany. Unforgettable sights seem to appear at every twist and turn of the Main. [ReadMoreMob]
A number of Fred. Olsen river cruises feature memorable journeys along the Main, offering you the chance to experience Germany at its quintessential best. You can take in the historic gems and scenic beauty of Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and Hesse during hours of daytime scenic cruising along the river aboard Brabant. Highlights include the stunning landscapes of the meandering Main Valley and the Middle Main [ReadMoreDesk] Quadrangle, where forested hills and pretty vineyards are intertwined with some of Germany’s oldest towns, such as Aschaffenburg, Seligenstadt and Kilingenberg; the noble palaces, formidable fortresses and imposing mountain scenery of the Haßberge Mountains; and the remarkable Main-Danube Canal. [ReadMoreDesk]
The time spent sailing the Main on a Fred. Olsen river cruise is perfectly complemented by time ashore in charming destinations too. There are chances to visit romantic Miltenberg, nicknamed the ‘Pearl of the River Main’; marvel at the architectural wonders of Würzburg, including the 18th century Baroque-style Residenz Palace and imposing Festung Marienberg fortress; and explore the UNESCO-listed Old Town of Bavaria’s ‘Franconian Rome’, Bamberg.
Interested in booking one of our river cruises? Why not have a look at our latest Feefo trusted reviews for our river cruises and see what other guests have said about their experience.
Cruises to Main
Departs: Amsterdam • Thu 16 Apr 2020
10 nights • Brabant • R2002
- From magnificent, majestic fortresses to preserved medieval centres and landmarks from World War II, the highlights of this absorbing journey through Germany present fascinating history at every turn.
- You can visit the site of the infamous Battle of Remagen, and the remains of the iconic Ludendorff Bridge; take a cable car to the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress in Koblenz; and stop by Rüdesheim’s sobering Hindenburg Bridge.
- There are chances to explore the beautifully preserved historic hearts of UNESCO-listed Bamburg and Regensburg – Germany’s ‘medieval miracle’ – too, while you’ll also experience stunning scenic cruising of narrow canals and beautiful valleys.
Departs: Regensburg • Sun 21 Jun 2020
7 nights • Brabant • R2009
- Enjoy an authentic taste of Germany’s famous beer heritage on this special voyage, with chances to try some of the finest brews, enjoy an insight into their history and learn of the processes involved in creating them.
- You can visit the pubs and breweries of Bamberg, famed for their smoked Rauchbier; take a tour of Würzburg’s Hofbräu brewery and the Brauhaus Faust in Miltenburg; and sample Cologne’s unique Kölsch Beer.
- There are plenty of other highlights to uncover on this enlightening voyage too, including the glorious Würzburg Residence Palace; Koblenz’s mighty Ehrenbreitstein Fortress; and the stunning scenery of the Middle Rhine Valley.
Departs: Cologne • Sun 27 Sep 2020
7 nights • Brabant • R2023
- With time ashore exploring fairytale German towns, and scenic cruising of gorgeous valleys and canals, every moment of this journey along the Rhine and Main will make for a memorable experience.
- You’ll sail the Middle Rhine Valley en route to Rüdesheim, renowned for its shipping and winemaking heritage; stop at Miltenberg for a treasure trove of medieval delights; and visit Würzburg, home of the spectacular Palace of Würzburg.
- Then there’s Bamberg, with its UNESCO-listed Old Town, and a navigation of the Main-Danube Canal, before you’re afforded time to explore the remarkable historic centre of Regensburg – Germany’s ‘Medieval Miracle’.