Sweden’s southernmost town, and one of the country’s most charming, Trelleborg combines a wonderful mix of old and new.[ReadMoreMob] Today, the town provides an important link between Sweden and the rest of Europe, with its busy commercial harbour and port, and is known for its art and culture, but it is actually most famous for its rich Viking history.
Trelleborg is home to the impressive Trelleborgen, the only reconstruction of a Viking-age ring castle on Swedish soil. Built on the remains of the town’s original Viking fort, using some of the materials excavated from the site during archaeological digs, Trelleborgen is a fascinating insight into Sweden’s Viking history and a ‘must-visit’ attraction.
Aside from the famous fortress, Trelleborg’s other highlights include its beautiful gardens, palm-lined avenue – the only one of its type in Sweden, and a great variety of shopping, from trendy boutiques to artisan markets, plus a number of insightful and inspirational museums.
Cruises to Trelleborg
Swedish Waterways with a Taste of Denmark • T2122
- This Swedish showcase makes for a very special cruise
- Experience the sheer wonder of the idyllic fjords
- Copenhagen adds Danish delights into the mix
Scenic Swedish Waterways • L2226
- Sail through the archipelagos of Stockholm and Gothenburg
- Admire the picturesque fjords of western Sweden
- Visit the islands of Visby and Gotland