Travemünde is a coastal suburb of Lübeck - a magnificent UNESCO-listed town steeped in history and former capital of the Hanseatic League. Home to many wealthy merchants during the Hanseatic era, an array of wonderful gabled houses, stunning churches and public buildings with huge gates, vast towers and gilded steeples were built in Lübeck. These monuments of a by-gone era have to be seen to be believed and all are within easy reach of Travemünde.[ReadMoreMob]
If you wish to stay in Travemünde to see what this delightful coastal resort has to offer, you won’t be disappointed. An appealing tourist attraction in its own right, Travemünde is more than just a gateway to Lübeck. With a beautiful beach – famous for its roofed wicker beach chairs and many cafes and restaurants, Travemünde is a great place to relax. Be sure to visit the borough’s lighthouse – the oldest on the German Baltic coast.
A visit to Travemünde is not complete without discovering Lübeck! Situated on an island, you will find the beautiful Old Town, which is now protected in order to save its beautiful and unique medieval centre from deterioration. Most of the centre is closed to traffic; therefore the heart of Lübeck can only be explored on foot. The town is a 12th century hidden gem, boasting more than 1,000 historic buildings, and is regarded as picture perfect. Admire its many highlights, such as the landmark Holstentor Gate, streets which are lined with medieval merchants’ homes and spired churches forming Lübeck’s crown.
Travemünde’s promenade, built in 1898-1899 and revamped in 2012, boasts an approximate 1.7 kilometre (one mile) walkway, which still gives visitors an excellent view of the bay and Priwall Beach. Known for its beautiful sandy beaches, it is a popular holiday resort for Germans and offers a little of everything, for everyone. All along the boardwalk you will find shops, cafés, bars and restaurants and a really relaxed holiday atmosphere.
Experience the fishermen's harbour of Travemünde, where you will find freshly caught fish sold direct from the boats! If you don’t want to wait, you can satisfy your hunger pangs with delicious fish rolls and other freshly caught specialities – this is extremely popular with visitors thanks to its original charm.
Cruises to Travemünde
Departs: Southampton • Mon 01 Jun 2020
13 nights • Braemar • M2014
- Visiting five diverse cities in five different countries aboard Braemar, including three magnificent Baltic capitals, you’ll experience cultural discovery at its finest on this enriching 13-night adventure.
- You can delight in Copenhagen’s palaces, monuments and beautiful waterfront; indulge in an authentic Finnish sauna experience in Helsinki; and delve into Tallinn’s fairytale-esque Old Town.
- Elsewhere, savour world-famous sights and an unforgettable night at the Russian ballet in St Petersburg; and in Germany, visit charming Travemünde before sailing the size-restricted Kiel Canal.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Wed 03 Jun 2020
8 nights • Boudicca • D2013
- Reap the rewards of Boudicca’s smaller dimensions on this eight-night cruise, with chances to revel in the gorgeous countryside scenery of Germany’s size-restricted Kiel Canal and beautiful Elbe River.
- During six rewarding days of German discovery you can delve into Lübeck’s fascinating history and take in Berlin’s iconic landmarks, on tours from Travemünde and Warnemünde respectively, too.
- There’s also a full-day to explore Hamburg, with its diverse attractions including the magnificent Rathaus and the Miniatur Wunderland; and a visit to Bremen, boasting a medley of architectural gems.
From £1,199ppFares Explained | What's Included