With a beautiful natural harbour and surrounding hills topped by forts, Toulon has long been one of France’s main maritime centres. In the old town, close to the harbour, the Romanesque Cathédrale Sainte-Marie-Majeure dates from the 11th and 12th centuries.
In front of the town hall and the naval museum, the columns are carved figures of men, known as atlantes or caryatids – it is a style borrowed from Ancient Greece.[ReadMoreMob] The naval museum itself is interesting, with models of ships, displays about galley slaves and pirates and equipment ranging from wheels to figureheads. The Toulon Museum has collections of art from the past 500 years.
On Cours Lafayette in the Old Town there is a fabulous open-air market selling fresh fruit, vegetables and charcuterie. It’s open every morning apart from Monday and it’s worth visiting just to savour the smell of fresh herbs and lavender that hangs in the air.
Mount Faron dominates the city, standing 584 metres. The top is accessible by cable car, offering stunning views over the city and harbour.
Toulon, now a major naval centre, has a rich military history. During the Napoleonic Wars, the city was blockaded by Nelson for around three years. During WWII, the German Army's occupation of southern France led to the scuttling of the French Fleet and Toulon in 1942.
Cruises to Toulon
Departs: Dover • Thu 06 May 2021
16 nights • Bolette • T2111
- Sail with style and sophistication during this exquisite exploration of the western Med, as Bolette takes you to stunning Spanish islands and cities, and the fabulous French Riviera.
- Sample Mediterranean island life in Palma de Mallorca; take in the must-visit attractions of Barcelona, such as the iconic Sagrada Familia and Las Ramblas; and delve into Cartagena’s rich Roman heritage.
- On the gorgeous Côte d'Azur, the Romanesque architecture and Provencal markets of Toulon awaits; while glamourous Cannes and Monaco are the icing on the cake.
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Thu 02 Sep 2021
24 nights • Borealis • S2121
- Embark on a voyage of discovery packed with typical experiences associated with some of Italy’s most beautiful and inspirational regions, towns and cities.
- Immerse yourself in the beauty and romance of the Amalfi Coast; be charmed by the Italian Riviera; and head to Tuscany, for tours to legendary Pisa or beautiful Florence.
- Elsewhere, there’s a rare visit to Milazzo on the gorgeous shores of Sicily; and calls at Civitavecchia – gateway to Rome, the Sardinian city of Olbia, and Roman-influenced Salerno.
From £3,699ppFares Explained | What's Included