Nestled in between the beautiful Mount Strandartindur and Mount Bjolfur in the Eastfjords of Iceland, Seyðisfjörður is a unique place, and home to a unique collection of wonderfully preserved wooden structures.
Regarded as one of Iceland’s most picturesque towns, Seyðisfjörður’s remoteness makes a visit here even more special. The valley above the town echoes to the sound of the 25 thundering waterfalls formed by the river Fjaroara as it cascades down to a lagoon at the head of the fjord. Gufufoss is one of its very photogenic waterfalls.[ReadMoreMob]
With its small population of some 800 people, Seyðisfjörður is a relaxing place to explore. The Skaftfell Centre for Visual Art makes for a quaint cultural visit and has a pleasant bistro. Fishing, cycling, golf and kayaking are all on hand in this welcoming town.
There is a long tradition of fishing in Seyðisfjörður, particularly herring fishing. You can take a boat out to sea with a local fishing expert and try your hand at catching a fish, cleaning and filleting a fish, which you can then even have cooked for you for dinner at the Hotel Aldan restaurant. While out on the boat, keep an eye out for whales, seals, puffins and other sea birds.
The Blue Church
The Blue Church is one of the island’s most recognisable landmarks, due to its distinctive blue hue. The church has been destroyed and re-built several times and has even been moved twice. During the summer, you can enjoy one of the weekly concerts, featuring
different music each time, from jazz, to folk, to organ music.
Skálanes is a 1250-hectare nature reserve located off the beaten track at the mouth of the Seyðisfjörður. The nature reserve is owned by Ólafur Pétursson and his family, and is home to more than 40 different species of birds. Skálanes offers a great place for visitors to escape and unwind, boasting imposing snow-capped mountains, a secluded shoreline and vibrant meadows. The area is known for its eider ducks, the feathers of which are responsibly sourced and turned into duvets.
Cruises to Seyðisfjörður
Departs: Dover • Sat 20 Jun 2020
13 nights • Boudicca • D2015
- From whales to geysers, waterways to geothermal pools, the thrilling diversity of Iceland awaits your discovery as you explore three sides of this astonishing country on an incredible 13-night voyage.
- On the west coast, stop overnight in Reykjavik – gateway to the wonders of the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon; and visit Ísafjörður, for a chance to observe charming puffins on a tour to Vigur Island.
- Along the north coast, divert deep into Eyjafjörður all the way to Akureyri, starting point for exhilarating whale watching adventures; and then savour the stunning scenery of Seyðisfjörður in the east.
From £1,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Mon 29 Jun 2020
10 nights • Balmoral • L2014
- An epic circumnavigation of Iceland, this exhilarating adventure packs-in unmissable opportunities to marvel at awe-inspiring natural wonders, dramatic landscapes; magical wildlife; and much more.
- Visit Reykjavik, gateway to the Golden Circle’s famous waterfalls and powerful geysers; observe puffins at Vigur Island on a boat tour from Ísafjörður; and savour Seyðisfjörður’s stunning scenery.
- For an experience of a lifetime, you can embark on a magical whale watching tour from Akureyri, to see humpback and minke whales, dolphins and porpoises living freely in their natural habitat.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Mon 27 Jul 2020
9 nights • Black Watch • W2021
- For a spellbinding taste of one of the world’s most awe-inspiring countries, Black Watch will guide you on an epic adventure, taking in remarkable destinations and waterways on three sides of Iceland.
- Dramatic landscapes, inspirational wonders and wildlife, and magical experiences are yours to savour, from powerful waterfalls and geysers to stunning sea bird islands and whale watching tours.
- See the wonders of the ‘Golden Circle’, such as the mighty Gullfoss, from Reykjavik; observe puffins at Vigur Island; go in search of humpback and minke whales in their natural habitat; and much more.
From £1,579ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 01 Sep 2020
11 nights • Black Watch • W2025
- On an 11-night voyage of epic proportions, you’ll take in a selection of the most spectacular scenic wonders and amazing, diverse wildlife for which Iceland is rightly renowned for.
- Uncover the gems of the Golden Circle, including the mighty Gullfoss Waterfall and gushing geysers, from Reykjavik; and experience scenic cruising by Hornstrandir, Drangaskörð and Dinosaur Rock.
- Visiting Akureyri offers a chance to embark on a once-in-a-lifetime whale watching adventure; while a taste of Eastfjord life in stunning Seyðisfjörður and Eskifjörður is sure to leave you enchanted.
From £1,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Thu 03 Jun 2021
12 nights • Boudicca • D2114
- With natural wonders and wildlife awaiting your discovery amongst Iceland’s incredible landscapes and waterways, this cruise will leave you spellbound throughout.
- An overnight stay in Reykjavik allows ample time to witness the beauty of the Golden Circle’s hot springs and waterfalls on tour, visit the famous Blue Lagoon and much more.
- You’ll also have chances to experience fjord kayaking and embark on an unforgettable whale watching adventure; and see the spectacular sights of Seyðisfjörður, Eyjafjörður and Hrisey Island from Boudicca.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Fri 02 Jul 2021
9 nights • Black Watch • W2114
- Get closer to the awe-inspiring wonders and wildlife of Iceland than you ever imagined, as you explore three sides of this astonishing land on Black Watch.
- See the Golden Circle’s Geysir hot springs, mighty Gullfoss Waterfall Thingvellir National Park from Reykjavik; or even unwind in the Blue Lagoon’s soothing geothermal baths.
- Encounter the native puffins of Vigur Island and seek-out magnificent whales and dolphins on tours from Ísafjörður and Akureyri; and revel in the sights and sounds of spectacular fjords.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Wed 21 Jul 2021
9 nights • Balmoral • L2122
- Experience the awe-inspiring beauty of Iceland to the full, uncovering a mix of breathtaking lesser-known treasures and some of the country’s most famous wonders.
- Discover stunning scenes out of reach to larger ships – immerse yourself the incredible sights and sounds of Seyðisfjörður, and explore the beautiful Westfjords from Ísafjörður.
- Witness the violent geysirs and waterfalls of the Golden Circle, or relax at the Blue Lagoon on tour from Reykjavik; and experience a whale watching adventure of a lifetime from Akureyri.
From £1,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Newcastle • Wed 11 Aug 2021
9 nights • Balmoral • L2125
- Be spellbound by beautiful scenery and spectacular natural wonders on a simply unforgettable circumnavigation of Iceland’s rugged, unspoilt lands.
- Stop overnight in Reykjavik, allowing time to explore the Golden Circle and see its bubbling geysirs and thundering waterfalls; or even bathe at the beautiful Blue Lagoon.
- Discover remote bird havens and wonderlands of tundra, cliffs and waterfalls from remote Ísafjörður and Seyðisfjörður; and experience a whale watching adventure of a lifetime from Akureyri.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included