Santa Cruz, La Palma Cruises
La Palma’s small, yet pretty capital city - is one of the Canary Island’s true gems. Boasting colonial-style architecture, a swathe of charming beaches, restaurants and bars, Santa Cruz is typically Canarian and has something for everyone.
Conquered by the King of Castile in the 15th century, Santa Cruz de La Palma was a key trading post between Spain and the Americas, and the city’s fascinating history can be explored in the historic quarter – one of Spain’s Historic-Artistic sites.[ReadMoreMob] The Naval Museum is a replica of Christopher Columbus's 15th-century Santa Maria sailing ship.
Stunning palaces and sumptuous merchants’ houses butt up against the grand town hall, built during the reign of Phillip II. Religious buildings include the Renaissance-style Church of El Salvador, with a tower of volcanic stone, and the Church of Santo Domingo, which houses a superb collection of Flemish paintings.[ReadMore]
The compact city centre is incredibly picturesque, and the newly redeveloped beach and promenade have boosted the city's resort credentials. Calle Real, the city’s main street, is famous for being both a Property of Cultural Interest and a Historic-Artistic Site. Santa Cruz’s finest restaurants, shops and prettiest squares are found here, and sampling the delicious local cuisine and local culture is highly recommended.
La Palma retains a unique edge over the rest of the Canary Islands, boasting the most glorious flowers, the most worthwhile walking trails and the clearest skies. It’s Biosphere Reserve status has deservedly covered the entire island since 2002.
As the first 'starlight reserve', La Palma represents a perfect place to stargaze, as various lighting laws are in place to ensure it retains its unique status. The observatories at Roque de los Muchachos contain the largest optical telescope in the world.
Cruises to Santa Cruz de La Palma
Escape to the Canaries • T2204A
- An unforgettable winter escape to the Canaries
- Chance to scale Mount Teide for incredible views
- A must do visit to the floral island of Madeira
Christmas Celebrations in the Canaries • L2234
- Enjoy an unforgettable Christmas at sea
- Discover the beaches and landscapes of the Canaries
- Celebrate New Year's Eve in style in Tenerife
Christmas Celebrations in the Canaries • S2233
- Experience Christmas festivities on board
- View the spectacular New Year’s Eve fireworks in Funchal
- Unwind on sandy beaches in the Canaries
Winter warmth in the Canaries • T2301
- Relax on the beaches near Santa Cruz in Tenerife
- Ride the cable car in Funchal
- Enjoy the Three Kings street parade and Epiphany celebrations
Winter Warmth in the Canaries • S2302
- Relax on sandy beaches in Tenerife
- Explore the volcanic landscapes on Lanzarote
- Visit the Maspalomas sand dunes in Gran Canaria