Santa Cruz, La Palma Cruises
La Palma’s small, yet pretty capital city - is one of the Canary Island’s true gems. Boasting colonial-style architecture, a swathe of charming beaches, restaurants and bars, Santa Cruz is typically Canarian and has something for everyone.
Conquered by the King of Castile in the 15th century, Santa Cruz de La Palma was a key trading post between Spain and the Americas, and the city’s fascinating history can be explored in the historic quarter – one of Spain’s Historic-Artistic sites.[ReadMoreMob] The Naval Museum is a replica of Christopher Columbus's 15th-century Santa Maria sailing ship.
Stunning palaces and sumptuous merchants’ houses butt up against the grand town hall, built during the reign of Phillip II. Religious buildings include the Renaissance-style Church of El Salvador, with a tower of volcanic stone, and the Church of Santo Domingo, which houses a superb collection of Flemish paintings.[ReadMore]
The compact city centre is incredibly picturesque, and the newly redeveloped beach and promenade have boosted the city's resort credentials. Calle Real, the city’s main street, is famous for being both a Property of Cultural Interest and a Historic-Artistic Site. Santa Cruz’s finest restaurants, shops and prettiest squares are found here, and sampling the delicious local cuisine and local culture is highly recommended.
La Palma retains a unique edge over the rest of the Canary Islands, boasting the most glorious flowers, the most worthwhile walking trails and the clearest skies. It’s Biosphere Reserve status has deservedly covered the entire island since 2002.
As the first 'starlight reserve', La Palma represents a perfect place to stargaze, as various lighting laws are in place to ensure it retains its unique status. The observatories at Roque de los Muchachos contain the largest optical telescope in the world.
Cruises to Santa Cruz de La Palma
Escape to the Canaries • T2125
- Relax on the beaches of the Canaries
- Enjoy time in Lanzarote to seek-out volcanic wonders
- Explore verdant Madeira
Winter Warmth of the Canaries • L2136
- An incredible journey of Canarian discovery
- Volcanic landscapes, enchanting forests and much more awaits
- Explore famous botanical gardens in Madeira
Moroccan Discovery with Cape Verde • T2128
- Enjoy an adventurous and immersive cruise
- Sample the lifestyle of Cape Verdeans in Praia
- Behold the buzz of day-to-day Moroccan life amongst the souks
Landscapes of the Canary Islands • T2129
- A pre-Christmas getaway packed with the sun
- A chance to see ‘shooting stars’ of the Geminid Meteor Shower
- You could also see Mount Teide in Tenerife
Canary Islands Winter Escape • S2128
- Prepare for the festive period on a pre-Christmas getaway
- Witness the ‘shooting stars’ of the Geminid Meteor Shower
- Explore the volcanic landscapes of La Gomera
Canaries Christmas & New Year • S2129
- Escape to the sun for a magical festive season
- Enjoy a feast of fun on board Borealis
- Visit Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, La Palma and La Gomera
Canaries Christmas & Funchal Fireworks • L2131
- Sail to and visit stunning Atlantic Ocean islands
- Celebrate Christmas at sea with fun and delicious food
- With time to explore Madeira’s gorgeous gardens & trails too
Islands of Cape Verde, Madeira & the Canaries • L2202
- Experience the spectacular beauty of glorious islands
- Enjoy an authentic taste of Cape Verde
- Discover volcanic landscapes and natural wonders