The ‘City of a Hundred Bells’, Rouen, is capital of the French region of Normandy. This 2,000-year-old port city on the River Seine, important in Roman times and the Middle Ages, is a unique city rich with monuments and museums.
Rouen’s narrow pedestrianised streets lined with tall, half-timber houses and a statue marking the spot where Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake, is a pointer to the city’s dark history. Devastated by fire, the plague and bombs in the past, modern Rouen is now a vibrant cultural centre, and one of Normandy’s most engaging destinations.[ReadMoreMob]
The skyline is dominated by the spires of Cathédrale Notre-Dame, much-painted by Claude Monet. The Gothic churches of Saint-Maclou and Saint-Ouen are also must-see attractions, two of the best examples of gothic architecture in France and a important part of Rouen’s history. [ReadMore]
The city's beautiful botanical garden – Jardin de Plantes de Rouen, is also worth a visit. Its 600 different plant species and various gardens, including a rock garden, rose garden and a garden full of medicinal plants, are a joy to wander through.
Joan of Arc
Infamously burned at the stake in 1431, Joan of Arc is an important part of Rouen’s history and is widely considered a heroine of France. To commemorate Rouen’s most famous saint, the city erected a thoroughly modern church – Eglise Sainte Jeanne D’arc. Located at the Place du Vieux Marché, the very location of the martyrdom, the shape of the roof of the church and the small hallways evoke the flames of the stake.
Paris can be reached from Rouen on a two hour journey which will take you to the majestic capital of France, offering the opportunity to visit some of the iconic sights the city is famous for.
Cruises to Rouen
French Rivers of Normandy & Loire • M2226
- Scenic cruise along the Loire & Seine
- Tour to Paris from Rouen
- Visit the Castle of the Dukes of Brittany
- NB: This cruise will be sailing on board Balmoral
French Rivers & Bordeaux • L2229
- Enjoy local wines in Bordeaux and Getxo
- From Rouen, tour to the culinary hotspot of Paris
- Sail through the size-restricted Seine River
Easter on the River Seine • L2306
- Explore the medieval city of Rouen
- Enjoy pretty Falmouth and perhaps tour to the Eden Project
- Relax and enjoy stunning scenery as Balmoral cruises the River Seine
French Rivers of Normandy and Bordeaux • L2308
- Discover the many historical sights of beautiful Bordeaux
- Relax as you cruise serenely along the River Seine
- From Rouen, perhaps visit Paris to see the Eiffel Tower or Arc de Triomphe
Discover Normandy in Five nights • M2310
- Tour to Paris and see the city’s famous landmarks
- Explore the pretty harbour in Honfleur
- Enjoy hours of scenic cruising on the River Seine