Puerto Limon Cruises
Although the harbour was not built until 1870 – to export Costa Rican bananas and grain – Puerto Limon is one of the oldest cities in Latin America. It was established in 1502 by Christopher Columbus and that long history has given the place some fascinating architecture and a vibrant atmosphere. The open-air market in the centre of town is a must-see, the place to buy anything from local handicrafts to clothes and household goods. In the side streets are interesting little bars and cafés: cashew nuts are an important crop locally, and the cashew wine is a speciality.
With enough time, it is fun to take a trip in a panga – a motorboat – along the Tortuguero Canal, which runs parallel with the coast for about 200km.[ReadMoreMob] Even during a short trip it is possible to see many unusual birds, as well as alligators, turtles and bats.
Cruises to Puerto Limon
Latin America with the Chilean Fjords • T2201
- Discover iconic destinations & unforgettable highlights
- Dance the tango in Buenos Aires and much more.
- Scenic cruising by Cape Horn
Patagonia, Central America & the Panama Canal • T220304
- Scenic cruising of incredible waterways
- Marvel at the spectacular scenes of Patagonia
- Explore historic Costa Rican and Colombian cities
Cultural Cities & Scenic Islands of the Americas • T2204
- Sailing via captivating cities and beautiful islands
- Begin with a memorable sailing of the Panama Canal
- Seek out Cozumel’s Mayan ruins and fauna-rich coral reefs
Discover the Wildlife of Central America • M2303
- Seek out Sloths & tropical birds in Puerto Limon
- Explore marine life at Belize’s barrier reef
- Go in search of Hummingbirds in Roatan