Puerto Chacabuco Cruises
Surrounded by ice-clad mountains, Puerto Chacabuco is a busy port, but it was only built in the 1990s when the natural harbour at Puerto Aisen, further up the coast, became unusable. There are local tours available of lower Patagonia and the Andes Mountains, as well as through the Rio Simpson National Reserve. The Aikén del Sur Park is privately owned but can be visited: it is a haven for wildlife, especially of wetland birds.
The fjords of Chile offer some of the region's most dramatic scenery and Aysen Fjord, leading up to Puerto Chacabuco, is no exception. Stretching around 70km and flanked by jagged landscapes, Aysen Fjord is a highlight of the region, best seen by boat.
On the shores of General Carrera Lake are a number of mineral formations called the 'Marble Chapels' situated across three main islets. Water has eroded the formations over the years to create intriguing caves partially submerged in the turquoise waters.
San Rafael Glacier
This dramatic, icy blue glacier, with its steep edges and sheer size, is a spectacular sight and one of the biggest glaciers in the whole Northern Patagonian Ice Field. Located in San Rafael Lagoon National Park, the glacier is best viewed by boat.
Mystery surrounds the Patagon people, or Patagonian Giants - inhabitants of the region who were reportedly up to four metres tall. First recorded by Ferdinand Magellan in 1520, the Patagonia Giants became a popular myth for many years to come.
Cruises to Puerto Chacabuco
Latin America with the Chilean Fjords • T2201
- Discover iconic destinations & unforgettable highlights
- Dance the tango in Buenos Aires and much more.
- Scenic cruising by Cape Horn
South America with the Chilean Fjords • T220203
- Visit one of the world’s most intoxication regions
- Discover iconic sights and sounds of Rio de Janeiro
- Experience scenic cruising of astonishing Chilean Fjords
Discovering Patagonia & the Chilean Fjords • T2203
- Join a magical journey of Patagonian explore
- Seek-out mesmerising beauty amongst snow-capped mountains
- Navigate the spectacular glacier-laden Chilean Fjords
Patagonia, Central America & the Panama Canal • T220304
- Scenic cruising of incredible waterways
- Marvel at the spectacular scenes of Patagonia
- Explore historic Costa Rican and Colombian cities