Portimão is a port city to the western end of the Algarve region of southern Portugal. The town is known for its excellent sandy beaches with plenty of warm, calm waters, which visitors find very alluring.
Portimão's long fishing tradition was developed between the 19th and 20th centuries and established a strong canning industry and a busy marina.[ReadMoreMob] Indeed, in its old quarter, Museu de Portimão is housed in a restored 19th century cannery, and has exhibits on local history.
The simply styled Chapel of São José de Alcalar is not to be missed, while the impressive Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception), built in the 15th century on top of a hill, stands out on the city’s skyline. The church was badly damaged by the 1755 earthquake, but retains its beautiful original Gothic portal and azulejo tiles.
To the south of the town Rocha Beach, backed by ochre cliffs, is worth a stroll and skirts the medieval Fort of Santa Catarina de Ribamar.
Praia da Rocha
The bustling waterfront area of Portimão – Praia da Rocha – is a fantastic place to relax and soak up the sunshine. Here you will find a beautiful stretch of beach with golden sands, rocky cliffs and glorious waters. Running along the top of the beach is Tomas Cabreira Avenue, a lively pedestrianised street with pretty landscapes and a variety of bars, cafés and places to eat. Nearby is the marina with multi-coloured buildings and gorgeous scenery.
The quaint city of Silves, which sits on the banks of the Arade River, was once the Moorish capital of the Algarve and is today a tranquil town filled with orange and lemon trees.
Cruises to Portimao
Departs: Liverpool • Wed 07 Oct 2020
9 nights • Black Watch • W2028
- Quintessential Portuguese highlights are all yours to uncover, from famous maritime monuments to traditional delicacies and music, as Black Watch guides you to three captivating destinations.
- In Lisbon, you’re in for a sensory feast – see the Jerónimos Monastery & Tower de Belem, taste authentic egg pastries, catch a performance of Fado music and more during your overnight stay.
- On the sun-kissed Algarve coast, you’ll enjoy a relaxing day in carefree Portimão; while a visit to Leixoes presents an opportunity to visit nearby Oporto, famed for its historic centre and port wines.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Wed 23 Jun 2021
10 nights • Braemar • M2115
- The engrossing culture and history of Portugal is revealed, as an all-encompassing exploration takes in the authentic sights and highlights of four diverse destinations.
- An overnight stay in Lisbon allows plenty of time to explore the capital’s maritime heritage, and even learn how to make traditional custard tarts.
- The charms of the Algarve are brought closer by Braemar’s ability to dock in Portimão; there’s a maiden call at Setúbal; and the famous historic sites and port wines of Oporto await.
From £1,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Thu 07 Oct 2021
11 nights • Black Watch • W2124
- Immerse yourself in an enriching discovery of Portugal and Spain, visiting five captivating destinations offering a taste of quintessential culture and local traditions.
- Explore two Andalusian gems of the sunlit Spanish south coast; there’s Cádiz for ancient history, tapas and sherry, and Malaga, a city famed for its Moorish architecture and the Picasso Museum.
- Get closer to the Algarve’s beautiful coastal scenes; then seek-out the delights of Lisbon and Oporto – fascinating maritime history, famous food and drink, and much more.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included