Porbandar, a coastal city in the Indian state of Gujarat, is the birthplace of the ‘Father of India’ and the loyal friend and devotee of Lord Krishna, Sudama. As a result, Porbandar is of great religious and spiritual importance, and a place of pilgrimage for Hindus across the world.
Porbandar’s fascinating history dates back to the Harappan age (1600-1400BC).[ReadMoreMob] Its ancient port served as a vital trade link to Arabia and countries in the Persian Gulf, and had close ties to some of India’s great religious and spiritual figures.
Best known as the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi and Sudama, Hindus make the pilgrimage to visit various dedicated temples and museums. The must-see Kirti Mandir, a memorial dedicated to Gandhi, is on the site where ancestral properties of the Gandhi family once were, and contains various pictures and paintings depicting the life and influence of Mahatma.
The Krishna Sudama Temple, dedicated to the friendship between Lord Krishna and Sudama, is another of Porbandar’s unmissable attractions, while the beautiful temple of Sir Hari is well worth a visit too.
Porbandar is known worldwide as the birth location of Mahatma Gandhi. Kirti Mandir, the home of Gandhi, houses a museum with some of his possessions and old photographs, a Gandhian library and prayer hall.
Sudama temple was constructed in 1902 and 1907 at the centre of the city. It is one of India’s most exceptional temples and is dedicated to the best friend and great devotee of Lord Krishna. It is said that due to the depletion of funds during the time of construction, the devotees collected money by organising drama shows. The temple has a plaque that depicts this entire phase of depletion and collection of funds for the temple.
Over the past few years, Porbandar has shown a remarkable improvement in local industries. The fishing industry is the major industry in the city, providing job opportunities for the majority of the population. The salt plains and boat building industries are also present in Porbandar.
Cruises to Porbandar
Departs: Benoa • Thu 23 Jan 2020
28 nights • Boudicca • D200203
- For an unforgettable insight into Asia’s remarkable diversity, Boudicca will guide you to a collection of stunning destinations to present you with a taste of the contrasting sights and authentic experiences on offer in spectacular islands and cities across this incredible region.
- Uncover the unspoilt forests and beaches of Bali before setting sail, then sample a taste of modern Asia in Singapore; discover paradise in Phuket, with a chance to take a boat tour to Phang Nga Bay; and marvel at the awe-inspiring Shwedagon Pagoda during an overnight stay in Thilawa.
- Your time in India will include overnight stays in Kochi, for the famous Chinese cantilever fishing nets and a tour to the Taj Mahal, and charming Goa; a full-day to immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of Mumbai; and a call at Porbandar, birthplace of Gandhi – the ‘Father of India’.
Please call our Reservations Team for latest pricing and availability.
Departs: Colombo • Thu 06 Feb 2020
14 nights • Boudicca • D2003
- With Boudicca as your guide to exploring the many sides of India, you’ll take in an array of stunning destinations, inspirational sights and authentic experiences showcasing the remarkable diversity of one of the world’s most engrossing countries on this 14-night cruise.
- Stop overnight at Kochi for a chance to see the famous Chinese cantilever fishing nets or even take an overland tour to the iconic Taj Mahal; and spend two days docked at Mormugão, gateway to Old Goa and the UNESCO-listed Latin Quarter, highlighting India’s European-inspired heritage.
- Magnificent Mumbai’s mix of traditional and modern highlights, including the UNESCO-listed Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Railway Station and Dhobi Ghat, await you, while a visit to Porbandar – birthplace of Gandhi – offers a fascinating insight into India’s spiritual importance.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Colombo • Thu 06 Feb 2020
28 nights • Boudicca • D200304
- Visits to inspirational Indian, Arabia and ancient Middle Eastern destinations will present you with an array of authentic sights and experiences on this exciting cruise adventure, with traditional and modern delights, fascinating historical and spiritual sites, and much more awaiting your discovery.
- Your Indian exploration will include overnight stays in Kochi, for the famous Chinese cantilever fishing nets and a tour to the Taj Mahal, and charming Goa; a full-day to immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of Mumbai; and a call at Porbandar, birthplace of Gandhi – the ‘Father of India’.
- You’ll also have chances to explore the beautiful Musandam Fjords, see Muscat’s palaces and mosques, and discover the Lost City of Ubar in Oman; visit ancient Petra – one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World – in Jordan; and take tours to Jerusalem and Bethlehem from Ashdod, Israel.
From £2,999ppFares Explained | What's Included