With its array of bars & restaurants, stylish shops, palm-lined beaches and charming Old Town, Palma – Mallorca’s cosmopolitan capital, is one of the Balearic’s finest destinations. Surrounded by vast mountains and crystal clear waters, it is also one of the most beautiful.
An historic city, Palma’s most popular attractions include the impressive Santa María Cathedral, a Gothic landmark begun in the 13th century that overlooks the Bay of Palma. The adjacent Almudaina is a Moorish-style Arab fortress converted to a royal residence, and on a hilltop west of the city, the magnificent 14th century Bellver Castle boasts stunning circular architecture and exhibits that uncover Palma’s vast history.[ReadMoreMob]
With charming narrow streets, large squares and 18th century stone walls, the Old Town district is a joy to explore. Half of the island's population dwells in Palma, and its lively, all-year-round atmosphere centres on luxury hotels, trendy restaurants, cafes, shops and nightlife, alongside a thriving art scene.
One of the prettiest villages on the island, Valldemossa sprawls over the hillside, its stone houses contrasting with the surrounding green forests. Almost every shutter is painted the same shade of emerald green, creating a satisfying artistic effect.
La Seu Cathedral
A truly magnificent structure, Palma's stunning cathedral combines a variety of architectural styles, but above all represents an exquisite example of Gothic design. Its stunning Gaudí and Barcelo-designed interior sets it apart from other cathedrals.
Served by delightful vintage wooden carriages for over 100 years, the 17-mile stretch between Palma and Sóller spans beautiful Spanish countryside. Sit back and savour it as the route winds through the Tramuntana mountain range and into the citrus valley.
Cruises to Palma
Discovering Spain with Mallorca • T2124
- Experience Spain's cultural and historical diversity
- See the highlights of cities such as Barcelona, Malaga & Cádiz
- Visit the beautiful Balearic Island of Mallorca too
Exploring Spain & Mallorca with Malta • S2125
- Discover some of Spain’s finest, most captivating destinations and their multitude of cultural, architectural and historical highlights.
- Explore the Old Quarter of Alicante and seek-out the centuries-old sites of Mallorca, or perhaps catch some sunshine on beautiful Balearic beaches.
- See Cartagena’s medieval marvels and the iconic delights of Malaga, including the art of Pablo Picasso; plus experience the best of Malta’s capital, Valletta.
Mediterranean Islands with Cyprus • T2302
- Discover the Acropolis of Lindos
- See Mount Etna when cruising the Messina Strait
Visit Pasteis de Belém bakery to enjoy a pastel de nata tart