With its array of bars & restaurants, stylish shops, palm-lined beaches and charming Old Town, Palma – Mallorca’s cosmopolitan capital, is one of the Balearic’s finest destinations. Surrounded by vast mountains and crystal clear waters, it is also one of the most beautiful.
An historic city, Palma’s most popular attractions include the impressive Santa María Cathedral, a Gothic landmark begun in the 13th century that overlooks the Bay of Palma. The adjacent Almudaina is a Moorish-style Arab fortress converted to a royal residence, and on a hilltop west of the city, the magnificent 14th century Bellver Castle boasts stunning circular architecture and exhibits that uncover Palma’s vast history.[ReadMoreMob]
With charming narrow streets, large squares and 18th century stone walls, the Old Town district is a joy to explore. Half of the island's population dwells in Palma, and its lively, all-year-round atmosphere centres on luxury hotels, trendy restaurants, cafes, shops and nightlife, alongside a thriving art scene.
One of the prettiest villages on the island, Valldemossa sprawls over the hillside, its stone houses contrasting with the surrounding green forests. Almost every shutter is painted the same shade of emerald green, creating a satisfying artistic effect.
La Seu Cathedral
A truly magnificent structure, Palma's stunning cathedral combines a variety of architectural styles, but above all represents an exquisite example of Gothic design. Its stunning Gaudí and Barcelo-designed interior sets it apart from other cathedrals.
Served by delightful vintage wooden carriages for over 100 years, the 17-mile stretch between Palma and Sóller spans beautiful Spanish countryside. Sit back and savour it as the route winds through the Tramuntana mountain range and into the citrus valley.
Cruises to Palma
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 04 May 2021
18 nights • Borealis • S2109
- Sail into the Mediterranean in the spring and succumb to the scenic, historical and cultural charms of sun-bathed Spanish, Italian and French destinations on this enchanting island-hopping adventure.
- Uncover Menorcan highlights such as impressive Monte Toro and glorious beaches; and take advantage of time in Mallorca to explore charming Palma, or take a scenic train ride to beautiful Sóller.
- Marvel at the dramatic Prunelli Gorges on the fabulous French Island of Corsica; enjoy the scenery, wines and traditions of Sardinia, Italy; and revel in the rich history of Valletta, Malta’s ancient capital.
From £2,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Thu 06 May 2021
16 nights • Bolette • T2111
- Sail with style and sophistication during this exquisite exploration of the western Med, as Bolette takes you to stunning Spanish islands and cities, and the fabulous French Riviera.
- Sample Mediterranean island life in Palma de Mallorca; take in the must-visit attractions of Barcelona, such as the iconic Sagrada Familia and Las Ramblas; and delve into Cartagena’s rich Roman heritage.
- On the gorgeous Côte d'Azur, the Romanesque architecture and Provencal markets of Toulon awaits; while glamourous Cannes and Monaco are the icing on the cake.
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 15 Jun 2021
17 nights • Borealis • S2113
- Experience the Balearics at their very best, from golden sands and glorious scenery to rich culture and fascinating history, and even an unforgettable festival celebration.
- Catch the extravagant parties and events – including the infamous correfoc – of the Nit de Foc ‘Night of Fire’ in Palma, for an authentic taste of Mallorcan culture.
- Indulge in blissful relaxation on the beaches of Menorca, Mallorca and Ibiza; discover Ibiza Town’s historic side; and enjoy maiden Fred. Olsen visits to Alcúdia and La Savina.
From £2,399ppFares Explained | What's Included