Originally developed as the Castle Town of the Owari during the Edo Period, Nagoya played a major role in Japanese governance under the rule of great leaders such as Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu – three legendary samurai – and the emperor Meiji, until World War II bombing raids destroyed much of the city in 1945.
Since rebuilt, Nagoya today is once again one of Japan’s most important cities and its third largest. An industrial and manufacturing powerhouse, it is home to global companies such as Toyota and NGK, and boasts wide, urban streets overlooked by towering office blocks and skyscrapers, such as the impressive Twin Towers of Nagoya Station – the largest railway station, by building area, on earth.
There are cosmopolitan aspects to Nagoya; you’ll find fantastic shops, malls and restaurants serving delicious local cuisine; interesting museums, including the Toyota Automobile Museum and futuristic City Science Museum; and beautiful parks and green spaces too. Amongst the modern marvels, it is still possible to enjoy a taste of the city’s historical importance and samurai heritage though. Don’t miss the stunning Nagoya Castle, Atsuta Shrine – one of Japan's three most important Shinto shrines – and Osu Kannon Temple.
Departs: Southampton • Thu 05 Nov 2020
140 nights • Boudicca • D20GV
- A holiday beyond your wildest dreams, this 140-night voyage to some of the world’s most iconic and intoxicating destinations offers authentic cultures and traditions, amazing wildlife, spectacular scenery and much more.
- Experience an exhilarating Asian exploration, to learn of samurais and geishas in Japan; explore the war-torn history of Vietnam; sample India’s engrossing hustle and bustle; and even celebrate New Year’s Eve in stunning Singapore.
- African adventures include chances to seek-out South Africa’s ‘Big Five’ game and Madagascar’s iconic flora and fauna; explore the colossal Namib Desert; marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza; and sail the impressive Suez Canal.
From £13,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Victoria • Thu 17 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D203001
- Experience an unforgettable festive season and start to 2021 on an epic exploration of the Far East filled with the scenic and spiritual wonders, authentic cultures and traditions of one of the world’s most intoxicating regions.
- Enjoy Christmas on board Boudicca; be enthralled by culture-rich Georgetown and iconic Kuala Lumpur; and celebrate New Year’s Eve in Singapore, with time to visit Gardens by the Bay and Raffles Hotel too.
- An enlightening Japanese exploration includes opportunities to encounter Geishas in Tokyo; be part of a classical tea ceremony in Osaka; look beyond the infamous war history of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; and much more.
From £8,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Tokyo • Thu 14 Jan 2021
28 nights • Boudicca • D210102
- This inspirational voyage presents an unmissable taste of the Far East’s fascinating way of life, authentic cultures, time-honoured traditions and indomitable diversity and beauty.
- An exploration of Japan includes opportunities to encounter Geishas in Tokyo; be part of a classical tea ceremony in Osaka; look beyond Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s infamous war history; and much more.
- Vietnamese highlights await in between visits to Hong Kong and Singapore, including chances to explore mesmerising Ha Long Bay on a boat tour and uncover Ho Chi Ming City’s fascinating war tales.
From £5,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Tokyo • Thu 14 Jan 2021
14 nights • Boudicca • D2101
- On an enlightening and enriching journey around Japan’s beautiful islands, you can experience the authentic cultures, traditions and spirituality of one of the world’s most intoxicating countries.
- Be captivated by traditional Geisha dancing in Tokyo, or connect with the origins of the Samurai on tour to Kamakura; uncover the shrines and temples of Nagoya; and be part of a classic tea ceremony in Osaka.
- Sample Japanese cuisine, such as sake and sushi; look beyond the infamous war history of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to see stunning shrines, pagodas and scenic landscapes; and relax in Beppu’s famous hot springs.
From £3,599ppFares Explained | What's Included