Known as the ‘Pearl of the Orient’, Manila certainly lives up to its nickname. While the Filipino capital may seem hectic, imposing and rather unappealing on the surface to some, there are plenty of jewels to unearth within, rewarding those who throw themselves into the hustle and bustle and explore the diverse districts of this vast, multicultural metropolis.
An outstanding city for sightseeing, Manila boasts an eclectic mix of architectural styles, thanks in part to its colonial Spanish heritage and the damage caused by World War Two bombing raids and devastating natural disaster. While many impressive colonial monuments remain, such as Fort Santiago, the 16th century San Agustin Church and the walled city of Intramuros, they sit amongst high-end shopping malls and skyscrapers, symbolising Manila’s role of one of Asia’s modern megacities.
There’s much more to this incredible city than its captivating sights though. Dig a little deeper and you’ll discover Manila is rich with creativity, culture and diversity, in its multitude of museums and galleries, lively markets and street food stalls, and artisan cafés, bars and restaurants.
Cruises to Manila
Departs: Southampton • Thu 05 Nov 2020
140 nights • Boudicca • D20GV
- A holiday beyond your wildest dreams, this 140-night voyage to some of the world’s most iconic and intoxicating destinations offers authentic cultures and traditions, amazing wildlife, spectacular scenery and much more.
- Experience an exhilarating Asian exploration, to learn of samurais and geishas in Japan; explore the war-torn history of Vietnam; sample India’s engrossing hustle and bustle; and even celebrate New Year’s Eve in stunning Singapore.
- African adventures include chances to seek-out South Africa’s ‘Big Five’ game and Madagascar’s iconic flora and fauna; explore the colossal Namib Desert; marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza; and sail the impressive Suez Canal.
From £13,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D202930
- Chances to encounter incredible wildlife; discover paradise at idyllic islands; taste Far-Eastern culture; and see in the New Year in style make for an unforgettable end to 2020 and start to 2021.
- Seek-out South Africa’s ‘big game’ on exhilarating safari adventures; see Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; marvel at the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon in Mayotte; and meet giant land tortoises in the Seychelles.
- Spend Christmas Eve in Colombo and Christmas Day on board Boudicca, before visiting culture-rich Malaysia; being part of Singapore’s spectacular New Year’s Eve celebrations; and uncovering ancient castles, among countless other highlights, in Japan.
From £7,199ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Victoria • Thu 17 Dec 2020
28 nights • Boudicca • D2030
- For an unforgettable festive season, uncover scenic and spiritual wonders, rich history and culture, and experience a spectacular New Year’s Eve celebration, on an Asian exploration of epic proportions.
- Enjoy Christmas on board Boudicca and delight in the mosques, temples and towers of Georgetown and iconic Kuala Lumpur, before arriving in Singapore to see in 2021 with an unforgettable fireworks display at Marina Bay.
- Your extended stay in Singapore allows time to discover Raffles Hotel and the Gardens by the Bay too, before Naha and Kōchi reveal quintessentially Japanese sights, from ancient castles and temples to beautiful Oriental gardens.
From £5,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Victoria • Thu 17 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D203001
- Experience an unforgettable festive season and start to 2021 on an epic exploration of the Far East filled with the scenic and spiritual wonders, authentic cultures and traditions of one of the world’s most intoxicating regions.
- Enjoy Christmas on board Boudicca; be enthralled by culture-rich Georgetown and iconic Kuala Lumpur; and celebrate New Year’s Eve in Singapore, with time to visit Gardens by the Bay and Raffles Hotel too.
- An enlightening Japanese exploration includes opportunities to encounter Geishas in Tokyo; be part of a classical tea ceremony in Osaka; look beyond the infamous war history of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; and much more.
From £7,499ppFares Explained | What's Included