Malé is the green and pleasant capital of the Maldives. Part of the stunning Malé Coral Atoll chain, situated some 400 miles south-west of Sri Lanka, the city offers the best chance to see the ‘real’ Maldivian way of life.
This island nation in the Indian Ocean is, at times, little more than an uninhabited sandbar peeping above the waterline, while a handful have been developed to offer an experience of pure escapism in a world of powdery white sand and underwater treasures.[ReadMoreMob]
Malé is a bustling, commercial centre known for its mosques and colourful buildings. The Islamic Centre features a mosque, a library and a distinctive gold dome. This quirky capital has alcohol-free bars and restaurants bunched up against shops and, near the harbour, lively markets offering a delicious variety of fresh fruit and the local catch-of-the-day.
Islands of the Maldives
The Maldives consists of over a thousand islets, only 200 of which are inhabited. Within easy reach of Malé are the tropical paradise resorts of Kuda Bandos and Cinnamon Dhonveli, while neighbouring Vilimale showcases traditional Maldivian life.
Located in the Islamic Centre, the Grand Friday Mosque is striking for its plainness; its pristine white marble façade is almost devoid of ornament. Nevertheless, it is crowned by an impressive golden dome that dominates Malé’s busy skyline.
Cruises to Malé
Departs: Southampton • Thu 05 Nov 2020
140 nights • Boudicca • D20GV
- A holiday beyond your wildest dreams, this 140-night voyage to some of the world’s most iconic and intoxicating destinations offers authentic cultures and traditions, amazing wildlife, spectacular scenery and much more.
- Experience an exhilarating Asian exploration, to learn of samurais and geishas in Japan; explore the war-torn history of Vietnam; sample India’s engrossing hustle and bustle; and even celebrate New Year’s Eve in stunning Singapore.
- African adventures include chances to seek-out South Africa’s ‘Big Five’ game and Madagascar’s iconic flora and fauna; explore the colossal Namib Desert; marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza; and sail the impressive Suez Canal.
From £13,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D202930
- Chances to encounter incredible wildlife; discover paradise at idyllic islands; taste Far-Eastern culture; and see in the New Year in style make for an unforgettable end to 2020 and start to 2021.
- Seek-out South Africa’s ‘big game’ on exhilarating safari adventures; see Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; marvel at the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon in Mayotte; and meet giant land tortoises in the Seychelles.
- Spend Christmas Eve in Colombo and Christmas Day on board Boudicca, before visiting culture-rich Malaysia; being part of Singapore’s spectacular New Year’s Eve celebrations; and uncovering ancient castles, among countless other highlights, in Japan.
From £8,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Victoria • Thu 17 Dec 2020
28 nights • Boudicca • D2030
- For an unforgettable festive season, uncover scenic and spiritual wonders, rich history and culture, and experience a spectacular New Year’s Eve celebration, on an Asian exploration of epic proportions.
- Enjoy Christmas on board Boudicca and delight in the mosques, temples and towers of Georgetown and iconic Kuala Lumpur, before arriving in Singapore to see in 2021 with an unforgettable fireworks display at Marina Bay.
- Your extended stay in Singapore allows time to discover Raffles Hotel and the Gardens by the Bay too, before Naha and Kōchi reveal quintessentially Japanese sights, from ancient castles and temples to beautiful Oriental gardens.
From £5,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Victoria • Thu 17 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D203001
- Experience an unforgettable festive season and start to 2021 on an epic exploration of the Far East filled with the scenic and spiritual wonders, authentic cultures and traditions of one of the world’s most intoxicating regions.
- Enjoy Christmas on board Boudicca; be enthralled by culture-rich Georgetown and iconic Kuala Lumpur; and celebrate New Year’s Eve in Singapore, with time to visit Gardens by the Bay and Raffles Hotel too.
- An enlightening Japanese exploration includes opportunities to encounter Geishas in Tokyo; be part of a classical tea ceremony in Osaka; look beyond the infamous war history of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; and much more.
From £7,499ppFares Explained | What's Included