Mahon is the capital of the Spanish island of Menorca. The city, situated on the east coast of the island, has a population of 31,000 and is most famous for its natural deep-water harbour, which stretches five kilometres inland and is one of the largest in the world. Mahon is easy to explore by foot. As you wander the streets, you’ll discover traces of the various civilisations that have passed through the town.[ReadMoreMob]
Santa María Church, with its ornate 19th century organ, is worth discovery on central Plaça de la Constitució, and City Hall has a Renaissance facade and a clock donated by the island’s first British governor. The Menorca Museum displays art and exhibits on the island's history.
From Mahón the true beauty of Menorca – its sleepy fishing villages, stunning beaches and Monte Toro, the island’s highest peak – is all waiting to be uncovered.
The main characteristic of this Menorcan natural wonderland, which was declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1993, is the remarkable diversity of its flora and fauna. The most notable habitats are the gullies, caves, wetlands made up of ponds, lagoons and marshes, dune systems, coasts and islets, which are home to some 220 species of birds and 1000 species of plants, including 60 endemic to the island.
The Menorquin Horse or Cavall Menorquí is a breed of horse indigenous to the island of Menorca, from which it takes its name. Jaleo is an over 100-year-old celebration that involves Menorcan horses dancing to traditional music played by an orchestra. The dance lasts a couple of hours, and is set to the same music throughout. The horses, especially decorated for the occasion – like the horsemen, parade (one by one or in small groups) through the Plaza Mayor, the main square of the village.
Mayonnaise was in fact first created in the Menorcan town of Mahon in the mid 1700s, during the period of the French occupation. As a result, the locals here are purists when it comes to crafting the perfect Mayonnaise, and continue to use traditional ingredients - olive oil, garlic and eggs - to the produce the finest, most authentic flavour.
Cruises to Mahon
Departs: Dover • Tue 01 Sep 2020
28 nights • Boudicca • D2023
- Visiting five stunning cities in five different countries, you have a chance to delve deep into the remarkable ancient history, authentic flavours and breathtaking beauty of the Black Sea.
- Step back to the days of Ottoman rule in Istanbul, home to famous landmarks such as Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque; and take the chance to visit wine valleys and tea plantations in Russia and Georgia.
- You can explore Odessa’s labyrinth-like Catacombs, and the Danube Delta – on boat tour from Constanta – too. What’s more, Boudicca will also help you to experience the best of the beautiful Mediterranean.
From £3,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Sun 11 Oct 2020
15 nights • Braemar • M2027
- As the autumn takes hold back home, you’ll swap the seasonal gloom for October warmth and get closer to the highlights of sun-dappled islands and historic cities in the western Mediterranean.
- On Spain’s Mediterranean coast, you can immerse yourself in Cartagena’s rich Roman history; and revel in the vibrant atmosphere and stunning architecture – including the iconic Sagrada Familia – of Barcelona.
- Ibiza and Menorca offer inviting beaches, unspoilt scenery and historical sites, while Marseille – with its trendy boutiques, galleries and architectural gems – adds a French flavour to your adventure.
From £1,749ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 04 May 2021
18 nights • Black Watch • W2109
- Sail into the Mediterranean in the spring and succumb to the scenic, historical and cultural charms of sun-bathed Spanish, Italian and French destinations on this enchanting island-hopping adventure.
- Uncover Menorcan highlights such as impressive Monte Toro and glorious beaches; and take advantage of time in Mallorca to explore charming Palma, or take a scenic train ride to beautiful Sóller.
- Marvel at the dramatic Prunelli Gorges on the fabulous French Island of Corsica; enjoy the scenery, wines and traditions of Sardinia, Italy; and revel in the rich history of Valletta, Malta’s ancient capital.
From £2,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 15 Jun 2021
17 nights • Black Watch • W2113
- Experience the Balearics at their very best, from golden sands and glorious scenery to rich culture and fascinating history, and even an unforgettable festival celebration.
- Catch the extravagant parties and events – including the infamous correfoc – of the Nit de Foc ‘Night of Fire’ in Palma, for an authentic taste of Mallorcan culture.
- Indulge in blissful relaxation on the beaches of Menorca, Mallorca and Ibiza; discover Ibiza Town’s historic side; and enjoy maiden Fred. Olsen visits to Alcúdia and La Savina.
From £2,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Tue 21 Sep 2021
14 nights • Boudicca • D2123
- Away from well-trodden tourist routes, a trio of lesser-known, undiscovered gems will offer a rarely experienced taste of Spanish history and culture.
- Castellón de la Plana, Motril and Vilagarcia de Arousa seamlessly mix old and new, with their centuries-old highlights, trendy cafés, shops, bars and vibrant, bustling squares.
- You’re in for easy, enriching explorations of Cádiz, Mahon – the Menorcan capital – and Cartagena too; Boudicca docks closer to the heart and historic highlights of these beautiful, fascinating cities.
From £1,899ppFares Explained | What's Included