Although situated just 21 miles off the east coast of bustling Bali, Lombok has managed to remain relatively untouched by those who flock to Indonesia’s myriad of mesmerising islands, despite being just as beguiling and beautiful as its better-known neighbours. This only adds to Lombok’s appeal though; the island offers those who are lucky enough to visit a sense of uncovering somewhere ‘undiscovered’, hidden away from the world, and rewards those who take time to explore with unspoilt beaches and spectacular volcanic landscapes.
On the west coast, Lembar provides a wonderful first glimpse of Lombok’s outstanding natural beauty;[ReadMoreMob] this quiet town is surrounded by a gorgeous panorama of verdant valleys and inviting azure inlets that tempt those who arrive via the island’s main port to explore further.
From Lembar many of Lombok’s main attractions are within reach. An exploration of the west coast for example can include time at Senggigi, with it’s glorious beaches; a stop at Mataram, the island’s capital, to marvel at impressive temples and flora-rich gardens; or even a visit to Gunung Rinjani, Indonesia’s second highest volcano and a haven for wildlife such as birds and monkeys.
Enjoy a holy experience at Pura Lingsar - this large temple is the holiest in Lombok, built in 1741. The complex includes a temple for Balinese Hindus and one for followers of Wetu Telu, a syncretic form of Islam that is the traditional belief of the indigenous Sasak people of Lombok.
The stunning Narmada Park is inspired by both Mount Rinjani and the Segara Anak crater lake. Within the water park, the Bale Petirtaan (Fountain of Youth) is a wellspring at the confluence of three sources, and the water here is considered to be sacred by Hindus.
Cruises to Lembar
Departs: Victoria • Thu 14 Nov 2019
28 nights • Boudicca • D192728
- In just under a month, you’ll visit sun-kissed scenic islands in the Indian Ocean, the Andaman and Indonesia in search of impressive natural and man-made wonders, captivating wildlife, postcard-perfect beaches and more – an incredible way to forget about cold and gloom back home in the UK.
- Meet Boudicca in the Seychelles, where you’ll spend time in Mahé and Praslin Island; visit the Maldives for idyllic atolls and tropical resorts; call at Colombo, Sri Lanka’s picturesque, culture-rich capital; and bask in the astounding beauty of the Andaman Islands and Idyllic Phuket.
- Your Indonesian exploration includes chances to explore Weh Island’s fauna-rich jungle and warm, clear waters; visit Java Island’s sensational Borobudur Temple; marvel at the Gunung Rinjani volcano on Lombok Island; go ashore at Komodo Island; and sample paradise at beautiful Bali.
Departs: Phuket • Thu 28 Nov 2019
42 nights • Boudicca • D192829
- Combining calls at stunning Indonesian islands and diverse destinations in the land ‘Down Under’, this incredible voyage packs in plenty of highlights, from beautiful landscapes and beaches to Australian icons including native wildlife, world-famous landmarks and legendary New Year’s Eve celebrations.
- Your exploration of Indonesia includes chances to explore Weh Island’s fauna-rich jungle and warm, clear waters; visit Java Island’s sensational Borobudur Temple; marvel at the Gunung Rinjani volcano on Lombok Island; go ashore at Komodo Island; and sample paradise at beautiful Bali.
- In Australia, you’ll visit beautiful Broome, Fremantle – for tours to Perth – and historic Albany on the west coast; sail the south coast, stopping at Kangaroo Island, Melbourne and Hobart; and visit Sydney on New Year’s Eve, cruise the Great Barrier Reef and stop at Townsville along the east coast.
From £6,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Phuket • Thu 28 Nov 2019
14 nights • Boudicca • D1928
- Featuring a number of Indonesia’s scenic islands, this extensive exploration of the world’s largest archipelagic country aboard Boudicca will offer a mix of natural wonders, incredible fauna and flora, breathtaking beaches and diverse, unspoilt landscapes throughout.
- Visit Weh Island for its dense jungle, inviting white sands and fauna-rich waters; stop at Semarang for a chance to visit Java Island’s remarkable Borobudur Temple; uncover the volcanic sites of Lombok Island; see the world’s largest dragons at Komodo Island; and sample paradise in beguiling Bali.
- You’ll also enjoy time on the idyllic Thai Island of Phuket, the ‘Pearl of the Andaman’ before setting sail; and visit Singapore for a change of pace, with an overnight stay affording time to explore the city-state’s bustling Financial and Chinatown districts and enjoy high tea at the famous Raffles Hotel.
From £899ppFares Explained | What's Included