A short journey from Leixões takes you into the heart of Oporto, with its fortress-like Cathedral and the Baroque Church of Clérigos. Head to the historic Ribeira District, where the narrow, cobbled lanes wind their way down to the Douro River. Don’t forget to visit one of the many wine cellars for a taste of the tipple named after the city, Port. On the ground floor of the Museu Romantico is the Port Wine Institute, where port is served with great ceremony.
Oporto sits deep in the gorge of the River Douro and on the riverside – dominated by the two-level Luis I bridge – it’s possible to look up at the narrow old town streets climbing out of the valley.[ReadMoreMob] Pastel-fronted houses with red-tiled roofs line the streets, mixed with neo-classical buildings and wonderful baroque churches. Dominating the centre of the city is the fortress-like Cathedral, which is worth visiting for the views alone.
Port Wine & Rabelo Boat
On the other bank of the Douro River is Vila Nova de Gaia, home to many reputable port wine cellars. Vila Nova de Gaia can be reached via rabelo boat, the traditional wooden cargo boat that’s been used to transport port wine on the Douro for centuries.
Historic Centre of Oporto
Oporto's historic centre is filled with impressive monuments and public buildings, including the Romanesque Cathedral and the Portuguese Manueline-style Church of Santa Clara. It’s been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list since 1996.
Cruises to Leixões
Wine Regions of Portugal, Spain & France • L2128
- Indulge yourself in the flavours of Portugal and France
- Join the celebrations at Madeira’s annual Wine Festival
- Visit the tropical gardens and landscapes of Madeira
Andalusia, Portugal & the Algarve • S2123
- Immerse yourself in the discovery of Portugal and Spain
- Explore Andalusian gems on the sunlit Spanish south coast
- Get closer to the Algarve’s coasts
Historic Heritage Sites of the Med • L2132
- Immerse yourself in fascinating history
- Uncover the ancient history of Cádiz’s old town
- Experience a memorable day at the ‘Four Ladies in Lisbon’
Exploring Iconic Sites of Croatia & Italy • M2230
- Discover the history & culture of Italy & Croatia
- Explore quaint towns only accessible to smaller ships
- Admire the Bay of Kotor’s fjord-like surroundings