Part of the charm of Kristiansand lies in its Renaissance style, particularly of the Kvadraturen Quadrant with its formal street plans and elegant buildings. The town is also home to some of the best beaches in southern Norway, while just offshore there are small islands dotted with white houses, many of which have beautifully tended gardens.
The Christiansholm fortress on the waterfront dates from 1674 has only been used once in anger and is perfectly preserved offering great views out over the sea from the top of its two-metre thick walls.[ReadMoreMob] The tower of the Kristiansand Domkirke is also a great spot for seeing the town from above. As a building it is rather less attractive than the Oddernes Kirke, one of the oldest parish churches in Norway, parts of which date back nearly a thousand years.
Don't miss Posebyen, Kristiansand’s Old Town district. Posebyen is packed with tiny but very attractive traditional houses, dating from the 17th century when the city was founded by King Christian IV. Said to be the most characteristic area in Kristiansand, Posebyen is well worth a visit.
City of Flowers
Kristiansand has been dubbed 'City of Flowers' due to the tens of thousands of flowers that bloom each summer. From May to September, you will find a colourful array of flowers adorning the houses, gardens, parks and streets of Kristiansand. The Botanical Garden also contains an historic rose garden and one of the largest collections of cacti in Norway.
World War II History
Kristiansand was something of a strategic point for the German's during World War II. There are a number of fortresses in the area, including the resistance fort of Odderøya and the German forts of Ny-Hellesund and Møvik. The latter is home to the world's second largest land-mounted cannon and only remaining 380mm Krupp gun in the world. Additionally, the Stiftelsen Archive Foundation in Kristiansand housed the regional Gestapo headquarters from 1942 to 1945.
Old Town (Posebyen)
Posebyen is Kristiansand's old town, made up of 14 blocks of mainly small wooden buildings, possibly one of the biggest collections in Northern Europe. Some of the buildings found here include the former post office (1695), the Blue Cross building (1802) and the Bentsens Hus (1855), one of the best-preserved structures in town.