Kiel Canal Transit
Connecting the North Sea, at the mouth of the Elbe River, to the Baltic Sea at Holtenau, the Kiel Canal is one of the world’s busiest and most important shipping routes. Slicing a man-made path through the German countryside, this 61-mile-long marvel of engineering allows vessels to avoid 250 nautical miles of sea sailing on average, ensuring a faster and safer passage through Europe.
As picturesque as it is important, the Kiel Canal is a popular route for ‘pleasure’ crafts and smaller-sized cruise ships such as those in the Fred. Olsen fleet. Sailing slowly along the canal presents an opportunity to take in gorgeous scenes of lush-green countryside and a collection of interesting villages and towns flanking the still waters, and marvel at several impressive bridges. Maritime enthusiasts will delight at the various shapes, sizes and sheer volume of the ships and vessels navigating this busy waterway too.
Cruises to Kiel Canal Transit
Departs: Dover • Sun 22 Mar 2020
7 nights • Boudicca • D2007
- Five days of this seven-night cruise will be filled with unforgettable sights and experiences, both during hours of scenic river and canal cruising on board smaller-sized Boudicca and during time spent ashore exploring charming cities and seaside resorts.
- Enjoy memorable journeys along the size-restricted Kiel Canal en route to and from Warnemünde, where you’ll have a day to uncover the city’s white sand beaches and historic sites, or even tour Berlin.
- The River Elbe is your route into Hamburg, a city showcasing a mix stunning Hanseatic architecture and contemporary attractions; while a cruise along the Weser River will lead you into Bremen, renowned for its impressive Gothic-style structures and medieval Schnoor district.
From £849ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Newcastle • Tue 14 Apr 2020
10 nights • Balmoral • L2004
- Revel in the scenery of six different countries on this rewarding springtime escape, with chances to experience unforgettable canal cruising, explore gardens bursting with spring bloom, and much more.
- You can enjoy a boat tour of Amsterdam’s iconic canals; see Copenhagen’s many attractions from the city’s waterways; ride a traditional ‘paddan’ boat in Gothenburg; and explore the natural landscapes of Oslofjord.
- After Amsterdam, which is also your gateway to the colourful, fragrant tulip gardens of Keukenhof, you’ll experience scenic cruising of the Nordzeekanaal and Germany’s size-restricted Kiel Canal too.
From £1,149ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Mon 01 Jun 2020
13 nights • Braemar • M2014
- Visiting five diverse cities in five different countries aboard Braemar, including three magnificent Baltic capitals, you’ll experience cultural discovery at its finest on this enriching 13-night adventure.
- You can delight in Copenhagen’s palaces, monuments and beautiful waterfront; indulge in an authentic Finnish sauna experience in Helsinki; and delve into Tallinn’s fairytale-esque Old Town.
- Elsewhere, savour world-famous sights and an unforgettable night at the Russian ballet in St Petersburg; and in Germany, visit charming Travemünde before sailing the size-restricted Kiel Canal.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Wed 03 Jun 2020
8 nights • Boudicca • D2013
- Reap the rewards of Boudicca’s smaller dimensions on this eight-night cruise, with chances to revel in the gorgeous countryside scenery of Germany’s size-restricted Kiel Canal and beautiful Elbe River.
- During six rewarding days of German discovery you can delve into Lübeck’s fascinating history and take in Berlin’s iconic landmarks, on tours from Travemünde and Warnemünde respectively, too.
- There’s also a full-day to explore Hamburg, with its diverse attractions including the magnificent Rathaus and the Miniatur Wunderland; and a visit to Bremen, boasting a medley of architectural gems.
From £1,199ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Fri 10 Jul 2020
10 nights • Braemar • M2017
- Enjoy a warm welcome at five diverse destinations, where a wealth of highlights and attractions await, and discover why Denmark is one of the world’s friendliest countries on this uplifting cruise.
- Fall for the charms of Aabenraa; uncover Aalborg’s impressive mix of architecture after helping yourself to a free Danish hot dog; and revel in a ceremonial welcome from friendly locals in Fredericia.
- You’ll also dock close to the highlights of Copenhagen, including the Little Mermaid and spectacular Royal residences; and have an opportunity to delight in traditional Viking displays in Hundested.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Tue 28 Jul 2020
14 nights • Braemar • M2019
- Docking closer to the heart of a string of attraction-packed rich cities, Braemar brings the Baltic’s greatest architectural treasures, legendary landmarks and cultural highlights within easy reach.
- See the art-nouveau delights of Riga and Helsinki; explore Visby’s beautifully preserved Old Town; see the impressive Royal Palaces of Copenhagen; and unwind with an authentic Finnish sauna experience.
- Spectacular St Petersburg will be a highlight to savour: stopping overnight affords opportunities to seek-out the gems of the ‘Jewel in the Baltic Crown’ and even feel the emotion of an evening at the magical Russian ballet.
From £1,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Tue 11 Aug 2020
8 nights • Braemar • M2020
- Fully immerse yourself in Scandinavia’s rich diversity with visits to four distinctive Danish, Swedish and Norwegian destinations, where a plethora of artistic, aesthetic and cultural attractions awaits.
- In Denmark, delight in the Royal palaces, charming waterfront and legendary landmarks of Copenhagen; and in Sweden, uncover the fascinating museums, pretty squares and beautiful waterways of Gothenburg.
- Two incredible destinations in Norway provide a fitting finale: you can see works from iconic artists, sculptors and architects in Oslo; then be charmed by the elegance gorgeous Kristiansand.
From £1,149ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Thu 17 Sep 2020
7 nights • Balmoral • L2024
- A classic cruise combining scenic cruising through gorgeous countryside and visits to attraction-packed destinations, this highly rewarding week away shows you Germany at its finest.
- You’ll bypass coastal Bremerhaven and sail by the pretty fields and valleys of the River Weser to Bremen, where the gothic-style Marktplatz and medieval Schnoor district are among many highlights.
- Hamburg, rich in historical and contemporary delights, awaits after sailing the winding Elbe River too; while there’s also a visit to Warnemünde and an unforgettable full-day transit of the Kiel Canal.
From £949ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Tue 22 Sep 2020
11 nights • Braemar • M2025
- On this endlessly rewarding adventure, unforgettable sights and experiences await at every turn, as Scandinavia presents the artistic, aesthetic, historic and cultural highlights of its captivating capitals.
- There’s opportunities to see iconic works from renowned artists, sculptors and artists in Oslo; and delve into the fascinating history, famous pop culture and natural beauty of Stockholm,
- In Copenhagen, Braemar docks closer to many highlights, including the Little Mermaid, Nyhavn district and impressive Royal palaces. What’s more, hours of spellbinding scenic cruising perfectly complements your exploration ashore.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Tue 29 Sep 2020
12 nights • Boudicca • D2024
- Explore the Baltic when it’s less crowded but no less rewarding, for a chance to experience the region’s genuine essence and greatest attractions at your own pace, with fewer tourists around.
- Enjoy a leisurely and relaxing exploration St Petersburg, with ample time to take in the city’s spectacular palaces, cathedrals and museums by day, before perhaps spending a magical evening at the Russian ballet.
- Your rewarding journey also takes you to UNESCO-listed Tallinn, with its fairytale-esque Old Town, castles and merchants houses; as well the attraction-packed Scandinavian cities of Gothenburg and Copenhagen.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Tue 01 Dec 2020
8 nights • Balmoral • L2030
- As the festive season begins, start your celebrations in style with a cruise to four enticing cities In Germany, Belgium, Norway and Denmark that really come to life at the ‘most wonderful time of the year’.
- At every destination, you’ll have ample time to immerse yourself in the seasonal splendour, spicy scents and cosy atmosphere of magical Christmas markets, including Hamburg’s famous Roncalli Market.
- You could pick up gifts from Bruges’ authentic Belgian chocolate shops; visit Oslo’s National Gallery; stop-by Copenhagen’s legendary Tivoli Gardens; and enjoy a memorable winter stroll along the River Elbe in Hamburg too.
From £949ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sat 17 Apr 2021
7 nights • Boudicca • D2108
- Cruising picturesque German waterways is always deeply rewarding, though you’re in for an even more memorable experience with journeys through the countryside scenes of size-restricted routes.
- Aboard Boudicca, you’ll sail the narrow Kiel Canal and winding River Elbe en route to Hamburg, where an impressive mix of historical and contemporary attractions awaits your discovery.
- There’s also visits to the seaside resort of Warnemünde, gateway to the historic Hanseatic city of Rostock, and Bremen, a delight to explore with its diverse districts and architectural gems.
From £899ppFares Explained | What's Included