The small, yet energetic Omani city of Khasab is a melting pot of sights, from charming old souks and historic castles, to bustling modern markets and a lively harbour. It’s also the gateway to the stunning waterways and islands of the Musandam fjords – The Norway of Arabia. From Khasab Harbour, traditional Dhow boats enter these stunning fjords that form part of the Strait of Hormuz, and offer rugged coastal views and dolphin sightings. Past mountain villages lies Jabal Hareem Peak – Musandam’s highest point – which is known for its marine fossils.
There are plenty of highlights to discover in the capital of the Musandam peninsula.[ReadMoreMob] The Portuguese-built, stone-turreted Khasab Fort was the former home of the Wali of Khasab and is now a museum with model boats, handicrafts and archaeological finds. Within the heart of the city, two very distinct areas – the Old and New Souk Areas – demand discovery. [ReadMore]
The Old Souk is where you’ll find traditional markets resounding to a mix of languages such as Kumzari. The New Souk has a more modern feel. LuLu Market is the largest supermarket in Musandam and enjoys all the hustle and bustle of Arabian life. Given piracy has been a tradition in these parts for well over 200 years, a visit to the harbour to see Iranian traders come and go with semi-illicit goods in their jet boats is well worth a look.
Musandam Fjords by Dhow boat
The significance of the Musandam Fjords cannot be underestimated; the roads here weren’t finished until around ten years ago. Exploring via dhow boat is the best way to admire the contrasting scenery of concrete-coloured rock and turquoise waters.
Cruises to Khasab
Departs: Colombo • Thu 06 Feb 2020
28 nights • Boudicca • D200304
- Visits to inspirational Indian, Arabia and ancient Middle Eastern destinations will present you with an array of authentic sights and experiences on this exciting cruise adventure, with traditional and modern delights, fascinating historical and spiritual sites, and much more awaiting your discovery.
- Your Indian exploration will include overnight stays in Kochi, for the famous Chinese cantilever fishing nets and a tour to the Taj Mahal, and charming Goa; a full-day to immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of Mumbai; and a call at Porbandar, birthplace of Gandhi – the ‘Father of India’.
- You’ll also have chances to explore the beautiful Musandam Fjords, see Muscat’s palaces and mosques, and discover the Lost City of Ubar in Oman; visit ancient Petra – one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World – in Jordan; and take tours to Jerusalem and Bethlehem from Ashdod, Israel.
From £4,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dubai • Thu 20 Feb 2020
14 nights • Boudicca • D2004
- With chances to dig deeper and immerse yourself in centuries of extraordinary history at some of the world’s oldest, most famous and best-preserved ‘lost cities’ and holy sites, there’s much more to this exciting cruise than the ports listed on the itinerary.
- In Oman, you can explore the spectacular Musandam Fjords on a boat trip from Khasab; marvel at the mosques and palaces of Muscat; and discover the Lost City of Ubar on tour from Salalah. Another of Arabia’s lost cities also awaits you in Jordan; Aqaba is your gateway to spellbinding Petra.
- After a cruise along Egypt’s Suez Canal, Boudicca will also head to the beautiful Mediterranean Coast of Israel and call at Ashdod. Here you’ll be ideally located for tours to Jerusalem – a spiritual treasure for Jewish, Muslim and Christian pilgrim – and Bethlehem, birthplace of Jesus Christ.
From £2,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dubai • Thu 20 Feb 2020
28 nights • Boudicca • D200405
- Countless iconic and inspirational sights await you on this incredible cruise through Arabia, the Middle East and the Mediterranean aboard Remarkable ‘lost cities’, magnificent ancient wonders and fascinating holy sites are just a few of the highlights on this incredible journey.
- You could explore the beautiful Musandam Fjords, see Muscat’s palaces and mosques, and discover the Lost City of Ubar in Oman; visit ancient Petra – one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World – in Jordan; and take tours to Jerusalem and Bethlehem from Ashdod, Israel.
- In the Mediterranean, you can delve into Crete’s over 5000-year-old history and seek-out Athens’ iconic ancient wonders; delight in the sight of Valletta’s UNESCO-listed Grand Harbour in Malta; and uncover the attractions of three stunning Spanish cities, Palma de Mallorca, Cartagena and Malaga.
From £3,949ppFares Explained | What's Included