Ísafjörður has been one of Iceland’s busiest and most important fishing and trading centres for over 250 years. Perched on the peninsular of the Westfjords, it’s beautifully isolated and is set against a backdrop of steep mountains and an arcing spit that extends out into the deep Skutulsfjörður.
Often referred to as the Paradise Island, Vigur is a beautiful island situated approximately 30 minutes from Ísafjörður. The island is renowned for its bird watching opportunities, and is home to puffins, Arctic terns, eider ducks, black guillemots and other species. Vigur also boasts the only windmill in Iceland and the smallest post office in Europe.
Dynjandi is considered one of Iceland’s most spectacular waterfalls. Located in the remote Westfjords, Dynjandi is actually a series of seven waterfalls, with a cumulative height of 100 metres (328 feet). A walk of approximately 30 minutes is worth it to reach the base of the main waterfall – Dynjandi, meaning ‘thunderous’.
Located in the Westfjords, the Hornstrandir Nature Reserve is one of the remotest places in this area of Iceland. Established in 1975, the reserve is home to imposing sea cliffs, mountains and waterfalls. Within the nature, reserve lies Hesteyri, an old fishing village, which was abandoned in the late 1940's. Surrounded by beautiful scenery, Hesteyri is home to traditional wooden houses and an old doctor’s house, which was built in 1901.
Cruises to Ísafjörður
Whales, Waterfalls & Geysers of Iceland • L2221A
- Visit the Gullfoss waterfall from Reykjavik
- Search for Whales with the help of ORCA
- Discover remote Seydisfjordur
Exploring the Arctic • T2316
- Off the beaten track, discover remote, unique destinations in Arctic Norway, Iceland and Greenland
- Explore isolated Spitsbergen and sample Arctic life
- Seek-out wildlife and natural wonders, from icebergs to steaming geysers
Whales, Waterfalls & Geysers of Iceland • S2310
- Experience the beautiful landscapes of Iceland
- Witness powerful waterfalls, geysers and mighty peaks
- Highlights include the Golden Circle and Godafoss Waterfall
Exploring Rugged & Remote Greenland & Iceland • S2315
- Away from regularly-trailed tourist routes, experience Iceland and Greenland at their most untamed
- Scenic cruise Prins Christiansund; see icebergs and mountains up-close; and sample Greenlandic culture
- In Iceland, discover the wonders of the Golden Circle, Godadoss waterfall and remote Heimaey
Natural Wonders of Iceland • S2318
- Get closer to the awe-inspiring wonders and wildlife of Iceland
- See powerful geysers and waterfalls, glorious glaciers and towering mountains
- Go in search of whales, puffins and more, and experience memorable scenic cruising at sunset
Whales, Waterfalls & Geysers of Iceland • L2322B
- Witness the wonders and wildlife of Iceland’s beautiful lands and waters
- See powerful waterfalls, geysers and mighty peaks
- Go in search of whales and dolphins living in their natural habitat
Natural Wonders of Iceland • L2410
- Witness Iceland’s geology and geothermal activity in natural wonders and scenic landscapes
- You can watch geysers and waterfalls, go whale watching and even snorkel the Silfra Fissure
- Enjoy scenic cruising by Grímsey Island at sunset, past Hornstrandir and more