The tranquil little port of Horta on the Azores island of Faial, has played host to transatlantic yachtsmen since it was discovered by the Portuguese in the 15th century.
Regarded as one of the most colourful marinas in the world, Horta is the location of several international regattas each year, and its harbour is known for its vast open-air exhibition of paintings installed on the jetty by visiting sailors.
This emerald-green, volcanic island is an unspoilt environment of craters, lakes, sheer cliffs and lush valleys, to which only picturesque whitewashed houses and stately little baroque churches have been added.
Capelinhos is Faial’s most famous landmark, situated on the western side of the island. The volcano transformed the island between the years of 1957 and 1958 when it erupted with devastating consequences, burying the landscape. The Interpretive Centre at the site depicts the story of the volcanic eruption, and features information on the geological history of the Azores.
One of the most gratifying and exhilarating experiences you can ever have in the Azores is to go out whale spotting in the summer months when islands like Faial and Pico attract an abundance of these large marine mammals including huge cachalots, pilot whales, numerous species of dolphin and giant marine turtles.
Cruises to Horta
Departs: Liverpool • Thu 26 Mar 2020
14 nights • Black Watch • W2009
- Portugal’s remarkable diversity and beauty is yours to experience, as Black Watch takes you to beautiful islands in the Azores, Madeira – the gorgeous ‘Garden Island’ – and Leixoes, gateway to the culture-rich, attraction-packed second city.
- In the Azores, three of the archipelago’s beautifully unspoilt islands – Terceira, Faial and São Miguel – await, with verdant volcanic scenes of incredible craters, lakes and geo-thermal pools to explore, while on the mainland, you can visit Oporto for world-famous port wines and fine architecture.
- What’s more, in Madeira, you’ll also be part of the very special ‘Four Fred.’s in Funchal’ event. Dock alongside Braemar, Balmoral and Boudicca and experience a memorable day of celebration shared with crew and fellow guests from all four ocean-going ships in the Fred. Olsen fleet.
Adult Only Sailing
From £2,329ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Tue 14 Apr 2020
14 nights • Braemar • M2009
- You’re in for inspirational experiences and unforgettable sights throughout this exhilarating adventure, as Braemar takes you to the verdant islands of the remote Azores and breathtaking Madeira.
- In the Azores, you can explore intriguing volcanic landscapes; see mighty Mount Pico; seek-out resident sperm whales; marvel at the mesmerising blue and bright-green crater lakes of the Sete Cidades Volcano; and much more.
- Funchal is your gateway to the lush-green landscapes of Madeira, best explored via the unique levada trails; enchanting tropical gardens bursting with vibrant colour and sweet scents; and Cabo Girão, one of the world’s highest sea cliffs.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Sat 12 Sep 2020
13 nights • Black Watch • W2026
- Revel in the sheer remoteness, spectacular natural beauty and remarkable diversity of the Azores, as Black Watch presents you with a triple helping of this breathtaking Atlantic archipelago in less than two weeks.
- Volcanic wonderlands await you on the islands of Terceira, Faial and São Miguel, with towering mountain peaks, vast craters and lakes, verdant emerald green valleys and much more to discover.
- Your smaller cruise ship will also take you to the Portuguese mainland, to explore attraction-packed Lisbon and UNESCO-listed Oporto, with its famous wine cellars and stunning riverscapes.
From £2,099ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Thu 25 Mar 2021
14 nights • Boudicca • D2106
- Experience the seemingly endless rewards of the hard-to-reach Azores, as Boudicca takes you on an unforgettable journey to three of this remote archipelago’s most beautiful and diverse islands.
- Astonishing wonderlands of emerald-green landscapes, mighty volcanos and vast craters, out-of-this world lakes and thermal pools, and picturesque cities await, on the islands of Terceira, Faial and São Miguel.
- The highlights aren’t restricted to the Azores though: there’s also opportunities to stimulate your senses with Madeira’s stunning scenery, fragrance and flavours; and explore UNESCO-listed Oporto.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 19 Apr 2022
17 nights • Black Watch • W2210
- With the help of ORCA, look out for various species of whale living freely in the deep blue Atlantic waters surrounding the contrasting islands of Iceland and the Azores.
- Revel in the astonishing beauty of Azorean volcanos, crater lakes and vibrant valleys, and the drama of awe-inspiring Icelandic scenery boasting soaring mountains, sheer cliffs and stunning waterways.
- Delve into rich history and culture, with time ashore to explore fascinating historic quarters, traditional fishing ports and an exciting, cosmopolitan capital city.
From £2,499ppFares Explained | What's Included