Hell-Ville (Andoany) Cruises
Formerly, and more commonly, known as Hell-Ville, Andoany is the capital of the beautiful Madagascan island of Nosy Be. Andoany is anything but hellish; the name actually derived from Admiral de Hell's former governorship. Warm and welcoming, the city boasts fine colonial architecture, busy markets and a pretty harbour. It’s also a gateway to the island’s stunning rainforests, fascinating wildlife and sun-kissed beaches.
Bordered by mile-upon-mile of glorious golden sands, Andoany is one of the most popular beach resorts in the Indian Ocean.[ReadMoreMob] In the town, fragrant frangipani and bougainvillea appear to prop up the ruins of its old colonial buildings, and the upbeat pavement cafes bustle with tourists. The Société de Rhum Arrangé offers local rum in 20 flavours, and Le Jardin des Sens is a beautiful old house selling locally-produced honey, spices, soaps and skin creams. [ReadMore]
A stroll around the historic city also reveals the Russian Monument, erected in the memory of Russian soldiers that drowned off the coast of Nosy Be in 1904, and the Oceanographic Museum, where the island’s native sea creatures can be viewed up close.
Smothered with dense tropical rainforest, Nosy Be is ideal for watching diverse wildlife in its natural environment. The sprawling Lokobe National Park is home to an abundance of endemic fauna and flora, and is an unmissable gem. The unmistakable calls of Grey-backed and Mouse Lemurs echo through the tree canopies, chameleons merge seamlessly into the unspoilt environment, and boa constrictors snake along the leafy forest floor.
Madagascar is a paradise of endemic wildlife and the world's greatest biodiversity hotspot. From curious lemurs to colourful chameleons, there are plenty of fascinating species within reach of Hell-Ville at sites such as Lokobe National Park.
Ylang-ylang is a wildflower commonly grown on Madagascar’s many plantations and praised for its sweet-smelling aroma, which is used in aromatherapy. The long tradition of extracting ylang-ylang's perfume was popularised in the West by Chanel in 1921.
The highest viewpoint on Nosy Be, Mont Passot stands at nearly 4,000 metres in height. En route from Hell-Ville to Mont Passot are several crater lakes, which are home to Nile crocodiles. These can be captured in all their glory from the summit.
Cruises to Hell-Ville, Andoany
Departs: Southampton • Thu 05 Nov 2020
140 nights • Boudicca • D20GV
- A holiday beyond your wildest dreams, this 140-night voyage to some of the world’s most iconic and intoxicating destinations offers authentic cultures and traditions, amazing wildlife, spectacular scenery and much more.
- Experience an exhilarating Asian exploration, to learn of samurais and geishas in Japan; explore the war-torn history of Vietnam; sample India’s engrossing hustle and bustle; and even celebrate New Year’s Eve in stunning Singapore.
- African adventures include chances to seek-out South Africa’s ‘Big Five’ game and Madagascar’s iconic flora and fauna; explore the colossal Namib Desert; marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza; and sail the impressive Suez Canal.
From £13,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Santa Cruz de Tenerife • Thu 12 Nov 2020
35 nights • Boudicca • D202829
- Seek-out the world’s largest desert, iconic landmarks and legendary wildlife in Africa; and sample paradise at a collection of idyllic Indian Ocean islands – all in just over a month – on this incredible holiday.
- You can experience an ultimate South African safari; encounter Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; explore the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon at Mayotte; and see the Seychelles giant land tortoises.
- You’ll also visit the sun-kissed Canaries and verdant Cape Verde; take in rarely-visited Ascension and St Helena; visit Namibia for the Namib Desert; and stop overnight in captivating Cape Town.
From £5,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
14 nights • Boudicca • D2029
- From seeking-out the ‘Big Five’ game on exhilarating safari adventures to exploring coral reefs teeming with colourful flora and fauna, enjoy unforgettable wildlife experiences on this cruise.
- Tour breathtaking South African game reserves; go in search Madagascar’s native wildlife, such as lemurs and chameleons; snorkel the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon; and see the Seychelles’ giant land tortoises.
- What’s more, this incredible cruise also packs in the iconic landmarks of Cape Town; an opportunity to delve into Durban’s Indian-influenced heritage; and time to relax at picture-perfect beaches.
From £3,199ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D202930
- Chances to encounter incredible wildlife; discover paradise at idyllic islands; taste Far-Eastern culture; and see in the New Year in style make for an unforgettable end to 2020 and start to 2021.
- Seek-out South Africa’s ‘big game’ on exhilarating safari adventures; see Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; marvel at the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon in Mayotte; and meet giant land tortoises in the Seychelles.
- Spend Christmas Eve in Colombo and Christmas Day on board Boudicca, before visiting culture-rich Malaysia; being part of Singapore’s spectacular New Year’s Eve celebrations; and uncovering ancient castles, among countless other highlights, in Japan.
From £7,199ppFares Explained | What's Included