Getxo (Bilbao) Cruises
The underrated Getxo in Northern Spain, is an attractive seaside location, and the access port for Bilbao. Getxo’s wonderful beaches, beautiful architecture and truly impressive monuments include the UNESCO-listed Vizcaya Bridge – the world’s oldest transport bridge.
The town’s Old Port area, Algorta, is situated at one end of the Ereaga Beach and is a popular spot to soak up the sun, enjoy the vibrant nightlife and take advantage of the exciting water sports. At Ereaga’s other end, delightful palaces and gardens can be found and explored.
Getxo is also perfectly placed for tours to nearby Bilbao, the largest city in the Basque country, and home to the world famous Guggenheim Museum, Museum of Fine Art and its stunning 14th century Gothic-style cathedral.
Designed by American architect Frank O. Gehry, this avant-garde building is a magnificent place to display masterpieces of modern and contemporary art. Since its opening in 1997, the Guggenheim Bilbao and Puppy – a floral sculpture of a dog by Jeff Koons, located outside the museum – have become the most internationally known symbols of Bilbao. The Guggenheim also offers a series of activities for visitors who wish to broaden their knowledge of art.
Gastronomy is an art in Bilbao. The city is home to many prestigious restaurants offering dishes ranging from traditional cuisine to the most avant-garde culinary creations. There are different areas of the city in which to savour the famous pintxos (typical appetisers). Bilbao is famous for being the capital of cod, because of the wide variety of mouth-watering recipes made with this fish.
Cruises to Getxo (Bilbao)
Five Night Spanish Escape • S2127
- This short escape makes for a great pre-Christmas trip
- Enjoy all the benefits of Fred. Olsen’s ocean cruising
- Visit La Coruna, where highlights include Cornide Palace
Pilgrimage to Northern Spain • T2225
- Tour to Santiago de Compostela from El Ferrol
- Discover the origins of Flamenco in Seville
- Visit Bilbao’s Guggenheim museum from Getxo
French Rivers & Bordeaux • L2229
- Enjoy local wines in Bordeaux and Getxo
- From Rouen, tour to the culinary hotspot of Paris
- Sail through the size-restricted Seine River
Festive Spanish City Break • S2232
- Visit the Roman walled city of Lugo
- Explore the Guggenheim museum from Getxo
- See the UNESCO-listed Tower of Hercules in La Coruna