Getxo (Bilbao) Cruises
The underrated Getxo in Northern Spain, is an attractive seaside location, and the access port for Bilbao. Getxo’s wonderful beaches, beautiful architecture and truly impressive monuments include the UNESCO-listed Vizcaya Bridge – the world’s oldest transport bridge.
The town’s Old Port area, Algorta, is situated at one end of the Ereaga Beach and is a popular spot to soak up the sun, enjoy the vibrant nightlife and take advantage of the exciting water sports. At Ereaga’s other end, delightful palaces and gardens can be found and explored.
Getxo is also perfectly placed for tours to nearby Bilbao, the largest city in the Basque country, and home to the world famous Guggenheim Museum, Museum of Fine Art and its stunning 14th century Gothic-style cathedral.
Designed by American architect Frank O. Gehry, this avant-garde building is a magnificent place to display masterpieces of modern and contemporary art. Since its opening in 1997, the Guggenheim Bilbao and Puppy – a floral sculpture of a dog by Jeff Koons, located outside the museum – have become the most internationally known symbols of Bilbao. The Guggenheim also offers a series of activities for visitors who wish to broaden their knowledge of art.
Gastronomy is an art in Bilbao. The city is home to many prestigious restaurants offering dishes ranging from traditional cuisine to the most avant-garde culinary creations. There are different areas of the city in which to savour the famous pintxos (typical appetisers). Bilbao is famous for being the capital of cod, because of the wide variety of mouth-watering recipes made with this fish.
Cruises to Getxo (Bilbao)
Cultural Cities of France & Spain • L2120
- An immersive journey of French and Spanish cities
- Capture Bordeaux’s arts, culture and wine heritage
- There’s a rare visit to Saint Malo and charming Honfleur
Island & Inland Wonders of France & Spain • S2116
- Enjoy an authentic taste of France and Spain
- Visit Bordeaux, famed for its Merlot and Saint Emilion wine
- On Brittany’s coast, tour to the famed town of Cancale
French Cities & Spain • S2122
- A full-flavoured cruise of French cities and scenic cruising
- Borealis sails the Gironde and Garonne rivers to Bassens
- Visit La Pallice for La Rochelle, and St Malo on the Brittany coast
Five Night Spanish Escape • S2127
- A five-night escape on Borealis makes for a great pre-Christmas trip
- Enjoy all the benefits of Fred. Olsen’s ocean cruising
- Visit La Coruna, where highlights include Cornide Palace