Getxo (Bilbao) Cruises
The underrated Getxo in Northern Spain, is an attractive seaside location, and the access port for Bilbao. Getxo’s wonderful beaches, beautiful architecture and truly impressive monuments include the UNESCO-listed Vizcaya Bridge – the world’s oldest transport bridge.
The town’s Old Port area, Algorta, is situated at one end of the Ereaga Beach and is a popular spot to soak up the sun, enjoy the vibrant nightlife and take advantage of the exciting water sports. At Ereaga’s other end, delightful palaces and gardens can be found and explored.
Getxo is also perfectly placed for tours to nearby Bilbao, the largest city in the Basque country, and home to the world famous Guggenheim Museum, Museum of Fine Art and its stunning 14th century Gothic-style cathedral.
Designed by American architect Frank O. Gehry, this avant-garde building is a magnificent place to display masterpieces of modern and contemporary art. Since its opening in 1997, the Guggenheim Bilbao and Puppy – a floral sculpture of a dog by Jeff Koons, located outside the museum – have become the most internationally known symbols of Bilbao. The Guggenheim also offers a series of activities for visitors who wish to broaden their knowledge of art.
Gastronomy is an art in Bilbao. The city is home to many prestigious restaurants offering dishes ranging from traditional cuisine to the most avant-garde culinary creations. There are different areas of the city in which to savour the famous pintxos (typical appetisers). Bilbao is famous for being the capital of cod, because of the wide variety of mouth-watering recipes made with this fish.
Cruises to Getxo (Bilbao)
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Thu 01 Jul 2021
13 nights • Balmoral • L2120
- You’re in for a feast of diverse culture and enchanting beauty, as Balmoral takes you on an immersive journey of discovery to gorgeous and engrossing French and Spanish cities.
- Docking alongside the promenade in Bordeaux makes it easy to capture the city’s arts, culture and wine heritage, or even tour to a famous family-run vineyard nearby.
- There’s a rare visit to Saint Malo and charming Honfleur too; and in Spain, the cultural treasures and landmarks of Bilbao and Avilés await.
From £1,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Mon 19 Jul 2021
10 nights • Black Watch • W2116
- Enjoy an authentic taste of France and Spain, visiting regions and destinations selected for links to famous food and drink.
- Black Watch docks in the heart of Bordeaux, famed for its Medoc, Merlot and Saint Emilion wines – an extended stay allows for a tour to an enchanting family-run vineyard.
- On Brittany’s beautiful coast, you can tour to the famed oyster town of Cancale; while in Spain, Getxo and Avilés offer traditional Basque tapas, Rioja wines and sweet Asturian cider.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Fri 20 Aug 2021
8 nights • Braemar • M2121
- With each destination selected for its links to famous food and drink, and their many cultural highlights, you’re in for an authentic taste of France and Spain.
- Braemar docks in the centre of Nantes, gateway to famous French vineyards sprawled across the gorgeous countryside of the Loire Valley.
- Elsewhere in France, sweet Calvados and Pommeau will tempt in Honfleur; while in Spain, Getxo and Avilés offer traditional Basque tapas, Rioja wines and sweet Asturian cider.
From £1,199ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Sun 26 Sep 2021
11 nights • Black Watch • W2123
- A full-flavoured cruise adventure combining French city discovery and scenic cruising with an authentic taste of northern Spain.
- Black Watch sails the picturesque River Seine all the way to Rouen, where tales of history and legend unravel amongst a collection of half-timbered buildings and iconic landmarks.
- Docking alongside the promenade in Bordeaux makes it easy to sample the city’s famed wine culture, or even visit a local vineyard; while Avilés and Getxo offer authentic Spanish food and drink too.
From £1,599ppFares Explained | What's Included