The Danish fortress town of Fredericia in Eastern Jutland boasts an intriguing medieval and military past, stretching back to the Thirty Years’ War. Founded by Frederick III in 1650, the old ramparts and historic fortifications can be seen on a stroll through the delightful town centre, and are peppered with statues, cannons and gates.
The Prince’s Gate – the main gateway into the town until 1925, the Old Town Hall and the iconic Foot Soldier Statue are all worth discovering.[ReadMoreMob] The town is now a major barracks, and home to the Royal Danish Army's Signals Regiment. A blue-flag beach is a short distance from the town centre, as is the Gunpowder Tower, built in 1675 and said to be the town’s oldest building.
From Fredericia visitors can tour the fairy-tale city of Odense, which is home to the fascinating Hans Christian Andersen Museum, the beautiful, gothic-style Sankt Kunds Cathedral and Funen Village – a unique open-air museum showcasing what life was like in 18th and 19th century Denmark. Billund, the home of Lego, is also easily accessible..
Located in Southern Funen, Egeskov Castle is considered Europe's best preserved Renaissance water castle, built over 460 years ago on a foundation of oak piles which are driven down into a beautiful lake.
City of Odense
The City of Odsense is home to the fascinating Hans Christian Andersen Museum, beautiful gothic-style Sankt Kund's Cathedral and Funen Village – a unique open-air museum created to showcase what life was like in 18th and 19th century Denmark.
Cruises to Fredericia
Departs: Newcastle • Fri 15 May 2020
7 nights • Balmoral • L2008
- With four diverse destinations welcoming you to one of the world’s friendliest and happiest countries, you’re in for a wholesome, enriching experience throughout this special Danish adventure.
- Explore Fredericia after friendly locals greet your arrival with a traditional ceremonial welcome; and perhaps enjoy a complementary Danish hotdog in Aalborg before take the day to explore the city.
- Docking close to the centre of Copenhagen allows for an easy exploration Denmark’s capital, with its many attractions, while another warm welcome awaits in Aarhus, a memorable final stop.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Fri 10 Jul 2020
10 nights • Braemar • M2017
- Enjoy a warm welcome at five diverse destinations, where a wealth of highlights and attractions await, and discover why Denmark is one of the world’s friendliest countries on this uplifting cruise.
- Fall for the charms of Aabenraa; uncover Aalborg’s impressive mix of architecture after helping yourself to a free Danish hot dog; and revel in a ceremonial welcome from friendly locals in Fredericia.
- You’ll also dock close to the highlights of Copenhagen, including the Little Mermaid and spectacular Royal residences; and have an opportunity to delight in traditional Viking displays in Hundested.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included