The Danish fortress town of Fredericia in Eastern Jutland boasts an intriguing medieval and military past, stretching back to the Thirty Years’ War. Founded by Frederick III in 1650, the old ramparts and historic fortifications can be seen on a stroll through the delightful town centre, and are peppered with statues, cannons and gates.
The Prince’s Gate – the main gateway into the town until 1925, the Old Town Hall and the iconic Foot Soldier Statue are all worth discovering.[ReadMoreMob] The town is now a major barracks, and home to the Royal Danish Army's Signals Regiment. A blue-flag beach is a short distance from the town centre, as is the Gunpowder Tower, built in 1675 and said to be the town’s oldest building.
From Fredericia visitors can tour the fairy-tale city of Odense, which is home to the fascinating Hans Christian Andersen Museum, the beautiful, gothic-style Sankt Kunds Cathedral and Funen Village – a unique open-air museum showcasing what life was like in 18th and 19th century Denmark. Billund, the home of Lego, is also easily accessible.
Located in Southern Funen, Egeskov Castle is considered Europe's best preserved Renaissance water castle, built over 460 years ago on a foundation of oak piles which are driven down into a beautiful lake.
City of Odense
The City of Odsense is home to the fascinating Hans Christian Andersen Museum, beautiful gothic-style Sankt Kund's Cathedral and Funen Village – a unique open-air museum created to showcase what life was like in 18th and 19th century Denmark.
Cruises to Fredericia
German Cities with Kiel Week Regatta • L2315
- Enjoy the final day of the Kieler Woche festival in Kiel
- Experience scenic cruising of the Kiel Canal
- Delve into rich maritime history in Hamburg, Bremen and Sassnitz
Denmark with Fredericia Festivities • M2315
- Delight in Danish culture and traditions
- Be part of the 6th July celebrations in Fredericia
- Get a feel for 'hygge' and discover rich history
Discovering castles, palaces and cultural landmarks of Northern Europe • L2224A
- Experience an immersive delve into centuries of Prussia’s history
- Discover sites such as Gdansk’s UNESCO-listed Melbork Castle and the Bismarck statues in Szczecin
- Explore the Danish fortress town of Fredericia and historic Klaipeda in Lithuania