Located on the eponymous fjord, Eskifjörður is a charming town in the middle of Iceland’s Eastern Fjords and has a long tradition as a fishing port, with culture and history shaped by the sea.
A stroll around peaceful Eskifjörður reveals the town’s traditions, and the historic buildings, piers and Maritime Museum provide further insight to its culture.[ReadMoreMob] Eskifjörður faces magnificent Mount Holmatindur, and from its summit there are superb views across some of the tallest mountains in Iceland. Travel a short way east along the coast and Iceland’s famous spar mines can be found, which has some of the world's largest spar crystals.
The nearby village of Stodvarfjordur is home to the Petra Stone Museum, which boasts a magnificent rock collection gathered locally by Petra Neskaupstaður. This cosy little village is also home to a local market and a gallery run by local artists.
Helgustadir Spar Mine & Rare Stone Collection
Iceland spar is a form of transparent calcite used in early polarisation experiments. Also of geological interest is the rare stone collection including over 1,000 examples.
Mountain and Fjord
A hike to Holmantindur Mountain or along Bleiksá river to the waterfall will yield stunning sights. You can also see 'The White Witch,' supposedly buried under a pile of rocks, protecting the fjord.
Eskifjörður's Maritime History
The Maritime Museum and Randulff's Seahouse showcase Eskifjörður's rich fishing heritage. In addition to these interesting and insightful attractions, a boat tour of the fjord is a memorable way to get a feel for life here and to experience the region's stunning beauty.
Cruises to Eskifjörður
Departs: Newcastle • Wed 06 May 2020
9 nights • Balmoral • L2007
- You’re in for an authentic snapshot of Iceland on this invigorating nine-night adventure, taking in four diverse destinations and inspirational natural wonders on three sides of this spectacular country.
- The wonders of the ‘Golden Circle’, including Gullfoss Waterfall and gushing geysers, await from Reykjavik, while Ísafjörður is your starting point for kayaking tours in the gorgeous Westfjords.
- Enjoy a taste of rural Icelandic life in the fishing village of Eskifjörður; and, for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, embark on a magical whale watching adventure from breathtaking Akureyri.
From £1,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 01 Sep 2020
11 nights • Black Watch • W2025
- On an 11-night voyage of epic proportions, you’ll take in a selection of the most spectacular scenic wonders and amazing, diverse wildlife for which Iceland is rightly renowned for.
- Uncover the gems of the Golden Circle, including the mighty Gullfoss Waterfall and gushing geysers, from Reykjavik; and experience scenic cruising by Hornstrandir, Drangaskörð and Dinosaur Rock.
- Visiting Akureyri offers a chance to embark on a once-in-a-lifetime whale watching adventure; while a taste of Eastfjord life in stunning Seyðisfjörður and Eskifjörður is sure to leave you enchanted.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included